Can You Decipher MJ's Lyrics?

Favoritetune

Proud Member
Okay there are a lot of songs I am not sure of the words to - especially when he get's to the adlib parts. Many lyric sites don't list adlibs. This thread is for anyone who is having problems understanding lyrics to some of his songs and those who think they know to please help those of us who don't out.

If you have a song you want to know the lyrics to ask here!

If you know the lyrics PLEASE POST THEM!

Don't be scared of being wrong - we all have opinions!!!

If someone else posts lyrics to something and you don't agree then please share your thoughts because maybe all together we can figure them out!

My challenge for everyone is I Can't Let Her Get Away. Does ANYONE know all the words to this song? I need help!!!!!

*laughs* You WOULD start with this song, Favoritetune! My gosh, do you know how hard it is to tell what he is saying in the adlib part of CLHGA!! I know! For months back I attempted it, and there are just some words I am convinced I will never make out. But if you're interested to read my take, I'll give you some of what I came up with...

Here's the main body of the song:

lyrics I just copied for expediency from a lyric site just for today's post. Haven't checked them by my own listening ear said:
I thought she had to have it
Since the first time she came
Who knows the situation
Mysteries remain
And now I wonder why
I breakdown when I cry
Is it something I said
Or is it just a lie
(Is it just a lie)

I try so hard to love you
Some things take time and shame
I think the whole world of you
YOur thoughts of me remain
I'll play the fool for you
Just say it and I'll do
Just make this thing come true
(Make this dream come true)

If I let her get away
Though I'm begging on my knees
I'll be crying everyday
Knowing the girl that got away

I can't let
I can't let her get away
I can't let
I can't let her get away

I can't let
I can't let her get away
I can't let
I can't let her get away

I tried to mastermind it
By saying let it be
But everytime I did it
The hurt came back at me
I told you that I need you
A thousand times and why
I played the fool for you
And still you said goodbye
(Still you said goodbye)

If I let her get away
Then the world will have to see
A fool who lives alone
And the fool who set you free

I can't let
I can't let her get away
I can't let
I can't let her get away

I can't let
I can't let her get away
I can't let
I can't let her get away

Can't let go
Can't let go

I can't let
I can't let her get away
I can't let
I can't let her get away

I can't let
I can't let her get away
I can't let
I can't let her get away

Can't let go
Can't let go

The adlibbing part is done like a "stream of consciousness"; his thoughts and emotions are running wild, with lots of doubts and pessimism.

I removed my ideas because I'm thinking now they weren't very close.

~ Keep in mind, while listening to this song to get the lyrics, I did it only on YouTube with unimpressive headphones ( I don't own the album), so that is why my accuracy isn't very good.

Last edited:
Hi Lashi! Thank you for those lyrics I am gonna listen and see where I can plug them in at and see what else I can discover.

Anyone else?

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're gonna give it a listen to, for I'd truly like to have some help with those words I've missed, and...I'm not "anyone else" :) but I hope you don't mind if I now ask for some help with another adlib.

The adlib is in that original tape for the song, The Girl Is Mine, where MJ is laying down the melody and all the accompanying instrument parts. The video was just posted somewhere else in a thread about the "Mexico Deposition".

the adlib:

I can tell the way she hangs her head, that she knows she suits me fine

She talks to me from her bed, _____ _____ _____ mine.

o_O

I'd love to know what he is saying in that last bit. Anyone?

Waa????? :bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed:bugeyed

:eek:

LOL!

:lol:

I don't own any Michael Jackson album!

I know...blasphemy!!! lol.

But that does get in the way of hearing any of his songs in such a way, on good equipment, that would help with deciphering lyrics. That's probably why I hear a lot of words incorrectly. Tell me...if I listen to TII on good stereo equipment, with excellent speakers, would the lyrics THEN make sense to me? Hahaha!

Last edited:

I don't own any Michael Jackson albums!

:blink: :shock: :bugeyed :eek:

If I knew your B'day and address, I know what i'd be buying you! :lol:

But that does get in the way of hearing any of his songs in such way, on good equipment, that would help with deciphering lyrics. That's probsbly why I hear a lot of words incorrectly. Tell me...if I listen to TII on good stereo equipment, with excellent speakers, would the lyrics THEN make sense to me? Hahaha!

^ Maybe! :cheeky: Oh You are sooo missing out on not blasting his music on good stereo equiptment... Fo realz! :lol:

^^, yes, and you CANNOT possibly enjoy listening to him on You Tube....you need the albums, for the best sound possible!

I can tell already, even with having only heard Who Is It on YouTube, that the song has an amazing amount of beautiful things going on in it. It seems quite rich. I would one day like to hear it on superior equipment; I'm sure I would be amazed and it would be a bit of an euphoria for my ears. :wub:

Sorry, FT, for getting your thread a little off track like this. :blush:

I can tell already, even with having only heard Who Is It on YouTube, that the song has an amazing amount of beautiful things going on in it. It seems quite rich. I would one day like to hear it on superior equipment; I'm sure I would be amazed and it would be a bit of an euphoria for my ears. :wub:

Sorry, FT, for getting your thread a little off track like this. :blush:

Oh, please say you're gonna buy the albums!? :lol:

Oh, please say you're gonna buy the albums!? :lol:

Well, not to my credit I can be a little stubborn. I mean, going out and buying Michael Jackson albums...that's what EVERYBODY does! I beg to be different.

(Oh, I guess now you'll tell me there is a very GOOD reason why everybody goes out and buys Michael Jackson music. Okay, okay. Point taken. :D )

EDIT: ya betta get in here, FT, and get this thread of yours back on track!!!! It's goin' places you may not have planned for. :lol:

Well, not to my credit I can be a little stubborn. I mean, going out and buying Michael Jackson albums...that's what EVERYBODY does! I beg to be different.

(Oh, I guess now you'll tell me there is a very GOOD reason why everybody goes out and buys Michael Jackson music. Okay, okay. Point taken. :D )

EDIT: ya betta get in here, FT, and get this thread of yours back on track!!!! It's goin' places you may not have planned for. :lol:

hahahaha....yes, I was gonna say that....but, hey, it's your choice! :lol:

:)

So, what do you want for Christmas?

I was looking for what you posted but I have to find the part it's in. That hopefull wont be too hard since the music wont be drowning his voice out. I can usually make out what he's saying - I think- but sometimes the music is so busy I can't get my ears around it.

I compared you tube to the CD I have burned on my computer and it really is a major difference.

I don't own any Michael Jackson album!

I know...blasphemy!!! lol.
:eek:

Where's Kermit? :unsure: Here:
kermit.gif

I also already know what I could give of gift for you on your birthday. :D

You're welcome, and I'm glad you're gonna give it a listen to, for I'd truly like to have some help with those words I've missed, and...I'm not "anyone else" :) but I hope you don't mind if I now ask for some help with another adlib.

The adlib is in that original tape for the song, The Girl Is Mine, where MJ is laying down the melody and all the accompanying instrument parts. The video was just posted somewhere else in a thread about the "Mexico Deposition".

the adlib:

I can tell the way she hangs her head, that she knows she suits me fine

She talks to me from her bed, _____ _____ _____ mine.

o_O

I'd love to know what he is saying in that last bit. Anyone?

This is what I get:

I can tell the way she hang her head, that she know its really fine, and she talks to me straight through her bed, and I know she on my mind

if you look at MJ in that shot, he looks like he's trying to figure out what he's saying there too

This is what I get:

I can tell the way she hang her head, that she know its really fine, and she talks to me straight through her bed, and I know she on my mind

if you look at MJ in that shot, he looks like he's trying to figure out what he's saying there too

Ahhh, so she knows she's really pretty.

Here I was making it all deep with the words "the way she hangs her head, she knows she suits me fine" meaning, when someone hangs their head while they walk and keep their eyes to the ground, it is often because they are shy and feel uncomfortable making eye contact. And since MJ was taping this back in Thriller time period, he was young then, and had trouble making eye contact as well, and was very shy. So I was thinking it meant he knew she knew he was shy just like her, so she knew she would suit him fine. Like that.

But what you came up with is more typical...a simple lyric idea. The girl knows she's fine. That whole thing. Ta-da! You're probably right.

What would "she talks to me straight through her bed" mean?

Um, maybe it's all together like she's lowered her head to pray and she knows everything is fine and maybe there's some sort of spiritual connection going on? Then him saying I know she on my mind is like he's hearing what she's saying? Maybe?

Um, maybe it's all together like she's lowered her head to pray and she knows everything is fine and maybe there's some sort of spiritual connection going on? Then him saying I know she on my mind is like he's hearing what she's saying? Maybe?
Now see, it seems like this discusson would be perfect for the LITD thread. In there we have many times over described the LITD girl and MJ as having had a spiritual connection (but I am wondering if it is unfair to bring this discussion into this thread, for this thread is only about deciphering lyrics, and not interpreting).

Anyway, what is interesting if what you are hearing is accurate, is that it would support what has been said in the LITD thread that this relationship did involve a spiritual connection starting in the early eighties. This demo tape would have been recorded prior to the Thriller album. And was Thriller out in 1982? Sorry, if this should really be mentioned over in the LITD girl thread instead of in here. :blush: I leave it at that.

ok, new bits then. the ad-libs from billie jean extended and live versions? And TDCAU ad-libs? The second of which i have had quite a big debabte about on maxjax, i know its "we're deep in the fire" "I'm here to remind you" and then ?? something like "don't you sit back, just watch ma baby" but its hard to hear, and several fans seem to think he just scats it, but i, and others hear words. what do u thin

Back