can you appreciate old school hip-hop and today

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
in contrast to production and skills on the mic?

i ask because Rap is always about subject matter and what is popping off for a particular time period much like comedy it is all about timing and whatnot.

does one era or the other do it for you more if so why?

what do you like more about it and what did you like more in the past?

I like early rap (Sugarhill Gang era), but not the stuff out today. The early stuff was basically funk or disco, so that's probably why I can dig it. The last group I really liked was Digable Planets. P.M. Dawn was cool too. I can listen to OutKast and Nelly and that's about it for current rappers. Most of the rest is silly ringtone stuff that all sounds the same like Laffy Taffy, lol. I don't really care for profanity, so that turns me off to current stuff as well.

despite how i was dissappointed at WATW 25, i am not a person who is the enemy of technology. if someone finds a good way to use AutoTune, i can accept that. there is always hope in tech, but it can go badly, too.

having said that, the two most outstanding rappers, to me, were natural. Sugar Hill, and Busta Rhymes.

in contrast to production and skills on the mic? I grew up on 90s hip hop so I miss the heavy bass of that era. The stuff out today sounds very space-age with sounds I would hear in a Star Wars movie or something, e.g; Pharell and those space age produced beats. hee hee. But yeah, I miss the thump and head bopping sounds of the 90s era.

Does one era or the other do it for you more if so why? Early to mid 90s, yes. Why? Because every rapper had their own style. There was only one: Tribe Called Quest, Arrested Development, Busta Rhymes (you especially looked forward to Busta's highly entertaining music videos!! -"Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Could See"), Pharcyde, The Lost Boyz, Biggie, Tupac, Nas, Jay, M.O.P., Redman, Method Man, Snoop, Outkast, Lil' Kim (Hardcore era), Wu Tang Clan.... I could go on... What I'm trying to say is that everyone was different. Each one had their own style and they're own way of rapping.

The way hip hop is now, everyone, or at least most of the artists sound the same. The same style, flow and what not. No one is unique anymore.

There is one hip hop artist out now who is on heavy rotation for me and his name is Jay Electronica. His single is called "Exhibit C" :angel: ...one of my last hopes to resurrect this thing called hip hop.

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for the first hip-hop to come around. Even the stuff before it came out of the woodwork in New York City. Hip-Hop when the DJ was more famous than the MC was, lol!

Back