Can There Be Another Michael Jackson Icon in Internet Era?

KB50MJ

Proud Member
NEW YORK - The extravagant mourning for Michael Jackson has some critics wondering whether the pop singer's global superstardom could ever be duplicated in an Internet era offering endless entertainment choices.

Jackson's sudden June 25 death caused an outpouring of praise for the singer, whose 1982 "Thriller" album is the best-selling of all time with estimated sales of 50 million copies. In death, Jackson's personal scandals no longer seemed so important to his fans and those caught up in the moment.

"In the world of YouTube, no one could occupy the worldwide effect of Michael Jackson's 'Thriller,'" said Jonathan Taplin, a University of Southern California professor.

"I was scouting a movie for Walt Disney in 1983 in Congo, Gabon and Ivory Coast. All you heard on the radio was Michael Jackson," said Taplin, a former television and film producer.

The Internet has joined the world together in new ways and can elevate unknowns to stardom in an instant, as illustrated by Susan Boyle, the dowdy British singer who shot from obscurity to international fame when her performance on a British talent show was posted on YouTube.

But such fame is fleeting and one Internet sensation is quickly replaced by another. "There will be thousands of Susan Boyles, but no Michael Jacksons or The Beatles," Taplin said.

Before the emergence of cable TV and then the Internet, tens of millions of people regularly tuned into the same hit shows at the same time. Now, the Internet has flooded the world with choice and diluted audiences.

Dubbed the "King of Pop," Jackson, 50, sang with his brothers in the "Jackson 5" before achieving solo stardom with hits like "Billie Jean" and "Beat It," which he promoted with boundary breaking videos on cable music video network MTV.

JACKSON WOULD FIND IT HARDER

But MTV no longer plays hours of prime time music videos and the Internet allows anyone to post songs and videos online. The New York Times's David Segal wrote that this probably spelled the end of fame on the level achieved by Jackson.

"That's why even Michael Jackson would have a hard time becoming Michael Jackson these days," he wrote. "There is something sad about our infinite menu of options. It could very well mean the end of true superstardom."

Jackson won 13 Grammy Awards and during his lifetime sold an estimated 750 million albums.

But although he was poised to attempt a comeback, his best years appeared far behind him when he died. In recent years, he won more headlines for his bizarre behavior and in fighting off sexual abuse charges than for his music.

Susan Ohmer, who teaches modern communication at the University of Notre Dame, likened Jackson's fame to that of Britain's Princess Diana, saying that while people may not have known the real Jackson or Diana, the personas they portrayed on camera captured the world's attention.

"Michael Jackson came of age when music was becoming more international," Ohmer said "Like Princess Diana, his style and movements seemed to come alive on camera."

Robert Thompson, professor of popular culture at Syracuse University, said it would be more difficult for another global icon to be created in a "fragmented era of modern technology," -- but still possible.

"The Internet has allowed a new route to fame," Thompson said. "But becoming truly famous is still something that happens very rarely."

Thompson and Ohmer both pointed to U.S. President Barack Obama as one of the world's new icons, but based on a record of political achievement and real intellectual power rather than songs and dance moves.

"In any new medium, stars emerge," Ohmer said. "Celebrities become global icons because they interact with media in ways that fascinate the public and because they speak to us in some way about our lives and times."
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
http://www.canada.com/life/relation...n+icon+Internet/1771132/story.html?id=1771132

Well, IMO, I think ppl. get famous for the little things that they do on YT, or Myspace...or other internet sites...:smilerolleyes:

"That's why even Michael Jackson would have a hard time becoming Michael Jackson these days,"

Well, Not really, cuz if there wasnt Michael Jackson in the 70's or 80's, then The Michael Jackson "Now" would have done what he did in the 80's cuz nobody does it better than him...:D . There IS NO other artist in the 80's that had that much influence than Michael. If Michael wasnt there in the 80's, then there wouldnt have been music we listen today.

Well, thats what i think anyways... :cheeky:

Thankyou for the article :yes:

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Susan Ohmer, who teaches modern communication at the University of Notre Dame, likened Jackson's fame to that of Britain's Princess Diana, saying that while people may not have known the real Jackson or Diana, the personas they portrayed on camera captured the world's attention.

"Michael Jackson came of age when music was becoming more international," Ohmer said "Like Princess Diana, his style and movements seemed to come alive on camera."

Robert Thompson, professor of popular culture at Syracuse University, said it would be more difficult for another global icon to be created in a "fragmented era of modern technology," -- but still possible.

"The Internet has allowed a new route to fame," Thompson said. "But becoming truly famous is still something that happens very rarely."

Thompson and Ohmer both pointed to U.S. President Barack Obama as one of the world's new icons, but based on a record of political achievement and real intellectual power rather than songs and dance moves.

"In any new medium, stars emerge," Ohmer said. "Celebrities become global icons because they interact with media in ways that fascinate the public and because they speak to us in some way about our lives and times."

"JACKSON WOULD FIND IT HARDER"

"But MTV no longer plays hours of prime time music videos and the Internet allows anyone to post songs and videos online. The New York Times's David Segal wrote that this probably spelled the end of fame on the level achieved by Jackson.

"That's why even Michael Jackson would have a hard time becoming Michael Jackson these days," he wrote. "There is something sad about our infinite menu of options. It could very well mean the end of true superstardom."

If this article is suggesting that Michael Jackson couldn't 'cut it' in todays limelight outlets,then I don't agree. If anyone could do that it would be Michael Jackson. He had all the classic qualities. Classic never dies out. Plus Michael had a rare mix of old and new, a traditional and modern twist that he cultivated with his own unique stamp on it. His coolness was real. Subtle and Quiet,with just enough punch to leave everyone's mouth hanging open. Michael is known for the cutting edge in technology and pioneering,so if he put his mind to doing anything Big in these newer medium outlets,the ingredients of his recipe would definetly prevail. Just my humble opinion. :wub: you guys. Thanks for the article.

Last edited:
There are SO many things that went into making Michael as big and as successful as he was - that would never ever repeat itself, regardless of how the times change. There will never be another him, in any era.
"Michael Jackson doesn't just come along once in a century or a lifetime - He only comes along once."

with the techonology of nowadays and Michael's genius...we would have presenced a real bomb...O_O

He would be like...OMG! i can't imagine...his concerts would have been like THIS IS IT'S O2 or better...

There can and will never be another Michael Jackson. EVER.

Well...musically, there is no-one as good as Michael that spans across the genres. So many artists are influenced by him - it's really difficult to say where we'd be without artists like Michael. You've all seen it in film and in life - 'I grew up listening to Michael Jackson - he's a legend. He's such an inspiration'. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't like, or at least appreciate, Michael's genious musically.

OK, back to the question. Will there be another Michael Jackson in the internet era? The internet is huge. Many people have been made semi-famous through clips on youtube etc. There are artists out there who use myspace/facebook as a portal for spreading and sharing their music and artistry. Reality television is popular too, creating artists each year through giving them the opportunity to show off their talent (or 'talent', in some peoples opinions). However, Michael is highly respected as part of the industry. This is shown in tributes - Michael Jackson is always mentioned or paid tribute to - there are few artists who have that. As an icon, MJ is loved all over the world. It's possible that someone really amazing musically could be discovered and the internet used to get them world-famous, but how likely is it that that person will give so much of themselves to their fans, to those who love them? How likely is it that they'll be humanitarian, to want to heal the world, to give to charity, to visit sick children in hospital, to earn such media attention? To create such amazing HYPE?!?

I don't think there will ever be another MJ icon in the internet era, personally. Celeb crazes come and go - MJ is here to stay forever, even though he's been taken from our planet :cry: I don't think that many artists are as timeless.

There will never be another Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson benefited from new advances in technology but the internet produces stars at the drop of a hat. But none of them could ever dream of being as successful as Michael. Michael was special and you cannot produce that through the internet. You need a special aura and talent about you, its very rare to achieve. The 20th century produced three music icons that super ceded anything else-Elvis Presley, The Beatles and Michael Jackson. In short. Will there ever be another Michael Jackson? No, no and no.

Funny they mention Michael Jackson and Princess Diana in one breath, because I think these two have something in common; They were able to touch people's hearts.They transcended artistry and royalty and became icons because they touched people's hearts and they were not afraid to show their vulnerability, allowing people to feel connected to them because their human, fallible, yet kind, loving and gentle side shone through everytjhing they did. Of course they made mistakes and they were rarely portrayed correctly by the media. Nobody is perfect. But the best heros and icons are those that are not perfect, and they know it, and they persevere and keep on loving and giving their precious gifts to the world. And that is extraordinary and teaches us something about our fellow human beings and how we need to care for each other!

There are SO many things that went into making Michael as big and as successful as he was - that would never ever repeat itself, regardless of how the times change. There will never be another him, in any era.
"Michael Jackson doesn't just come along once in a century or a lifetime - He only comes along once."

:clapping:

Sorry but this article got Michael all wrong! IT WAS NOT WHAT HE DID BUT!!! HOW HE DONE IT! It was not what he sang! BUT THE WAY HE SANG IT! It was not what he danced to, BUT THE WAY HE DANCED! it was not what he made, but the WAY HE!! MADE IT!

In essence Michael was a one off, with today Technology he was going to set new records once again! In music and also FILM! his concerts where to set a new record in Concert shows, and show once again to the music WORLD !! THIS IS WHY he was and still is THE NUMBER ONE!

Michael is missed so much and thats why these people continue to try and say that Michael could not cut it in this time! TO that! i say !! Take a look at **THIS IS IT ** records broken again! Enuff said!!

Terry

:clapping: Completely agree.

I can't stand it now, people are always like "The next Michael Jackson?"

umm.. no there will never be a "next Michael Jackson" there is only one and there will only ever be one Michael. There is more to Mike than just his music. I mean he is very special. Like how huge his heart is, i mean was :(, he gave so much to charity thay many artists these days don't even care about. If they do charity they make sure they have a camera crew with them or announce it on some show. But not Mike, he wasn't like that. He had the biggest heart, that cared for others in need. He didn't flaunt around and say he was doing charity and have camera crews with him. He did his charity from the heart. And that is true charity/kindness.

So again to answer the question of this thread, no there will never be another Michael Jackson. No one can ever match his talent. No there will never be another Michael, the person, who cared so much for others and had such a kind heart.

I, blue_eyed_belle, promise to donate all my worldly goods to charity if there's another Michael Jackson within my lifetime. I also promise to donate regularly even if this is not the case, just perhaps not all my worldly goods as I'm afraid I'm not that selfless.

As long as Simon Cowell is running his generic boring popstar factory line, there's more chance of seeing pigs fly, then seeing a new "Legend" in the line of such talent as Elvis, Chuck Berry, Beatles, Bob Marley, Freddie Mercury, Michael Jackson, etc.

I guess todays legends are Madonna and Whitney Houston but they've long past their best. Contemporary stars like Jay-Z, Beyonce, Rihanna and Usher will be remembered but its hard to think of them as one of the best, although they are some of today's best.

The problem lies with the internet and downloading which devalues music. But I think that the bigger problem is that producers aren't willing to work with their young talent, to make them into something unique. Instead they opt to make them the same as everyone else. This is more visible with all the Girl/Boy bands that keep flooding our music channels and radio stations. If Michael Jackson or James Brown or John Lennon was everybody else, they would of got know where.

Another problem, again with producers, is that lots of artists are not taught to perform their music nor is there any TV programs where new, or young talent perform their songs. This is noticeable with Britney Spears and Cheryl Cole who lip sync when they are still young and at the peak of their careers. Michael only resorted to lip syncing when he was much older and his health was failing him.

Back