Can / Do I get a tax refund (or something) If I go back to sch ool?

BillieJean84

Proud Member
Okay so when I file for taxes this year, I need to bring my tax information stuff on when I went back to school. I am not paying for school - I have grants and loans to help pay.

I have been un-employeed for about a year so would I get something (from school) back as a tax refund or a check from that????

I don't know how it works in the US so cant help I'm afraid. In the UK you don't pay taxes if you're unemployed or in school, I was exempt from paying tax in my job until I finished university.

as far as I know the school doesn't give you any type of cash refund...the only way you get a refund from the US government is on money earned through-out the working year. If they didnt take money out of a check from employment...then you just dont get a tax refund. You need to have taxable income.

Okay so when I file for taxes this year, I need to bring my tax information stuff on when I went back to school. I am not paying for school - I have grants and loans to help pay.

I have been un-employeed for about a year so would I get something (from school) back as a tax refund or a check from that????

Your question is confusing to me. You were unemployed, but you received grants and loans for schooling, but no other income? Did you use any money received from the grants/loans for something other than schooling? Did the money go directly to you, or was/is it in the school's coffers?

It would certainly seem reasonable that the people to talk to would be the school and the entities involved with the grants and loans. When it comes to taxes, and if it involves the U.S. government in any way, always better to be well informed rather than be "surprised" in either a negative or positive way. Surely someone in the school's financial office could assist you/answer your questions with concrete information?

as far as I know the school doesn't give you any type of cash refund...the only way you get a refund from the US government is on money earned through-out the working year. If they didnt take money out of a check from employment...then you just dont get a tax refund. You need to have taxable income.

thats what I was trying to ask. Thanks!

Back