Call for Submissions regarding MJ's music

redcrush

Proud Member
Michael Jackson: Musical Subjectivities:
http://www.iaspm.net/?p=125

The International Association for Popular Music and Studies is having a call for entries for any essays that critically analyze his music.

Submissions are invited for a special edition of Popular Music and Society that examines constructions of subjectivity in Michael Jackson’s music, with a focus on gender, sexuality, age, disability, and race. Contributors are invited to address ways in which Jackson’s vocality, grooves, rhythmic invention, songwriting, conformity with and/or irreconcilability of generic categories, particular songs, song categories (such as ballads) or albums, record production, use of technology, and live or mediated performance work to produce his own, often spectacularized, subjectivities, as well as those of his listeners.

Unfortunately the deadline is September 2010, so you don't have a lot of time. (I just found this.) I think that this is a great opportunity seeing as there really isn't a lot of scholarly writings of his work, a small handful, but not a lot though. Especially seeing how his music was able to resonate so much with people all across the board to how people complain about how much his later works, it would be interesting to read these writings. I'm looking forward to it.

Back