California High Schooler Wows Crowd Performing "Billie Jean" (link with video included)

Re: California High Schooler Wows Crowd Performing "Billie Jean" (link with video included)

Always great to see young people get into MJ.

Re: California High Schooler Wows Crowd Performing "Billie Jean" (link with video included)

I remember once at my school, maybe a week or two after MJ died, one of the seniors went up on stage during assembly and performed this INCREDIBLE tribute to MJ, the moves were just wonderful (he even had one of his male friends dress up in a tight pink dress (chest and leg hair easily visible) and go on stage during TWYMMF :hysterical:).

Out of the many years I was there, I can't remember another time when everyone else stood up half way through the performance to cheer him on and applaud like mad. Years on I've mentioned that performance to other students and every one has remembered it. Amazing.

This kid's got some sweet moves, hopefully he does more talent shows and posts more videos! :)

Great publicity for Michael :clapping:

Sorry, I don't seem to know how to turn off my marketing antenna's:D

As soon as he did the moonwalk I took off my hat and had one of those 'Well done fellow teenager, well done." moments :wub: that's like...amazing!

Much better than any impersonator... :D

The kid was better than the hologram. That Moonwalk was great :)

Very good amateur performance indeed ! Much better than many others pretending...

He did a great job, I enjoyed watching his performance. I loved seeing the audience giving such a positive reaction too.

Moves like Jackson: Video of Pitman High junior’s talent show dancing goes viral

http://www.modbee.com/2014/05/21/3350512/moves-like-jackson-video-of-pitman.html

Please excuse Pitman High junior Brett Nichols from class today, he’s busy becoming a viral video superstar.

The 17-year-old Turlock student has found himself in one of the week’s most popular YouTube videos while showing off his Michael Jackson dance moves at the school talent show. His routine even caught the attention of the late King of Pop’s estate, which sent out a tweet Thursday afternoon congratulating the teen on his moonwalk.

The speed with which the video – posted early Wednesday morning on the Pitman High Facebook page and then reposted onto the popular networking and news site Reddit – took off is staggering. The clip racked up more than 2 million views in a day. By Thursday afternoon, it was at 6 million views and climbing.

In the video, Nichols dances to Jackson’s 1983 hit “Billie Jean” while mimicking the superstar’s moves – complete with suit, hat and the one white glove – at the talent rally May 16. The post, shot and edited by the school’s video arts class, includes clips of other performers as well, but Nichols’ act takes up the last two minutes. He was crowned champion for his efforts – to the roar of some 2,000 classmates. But it’s the world that’s roaring now, with the clip being shared everywhere from the “ Today” show to CNN, TMZ, Australia’s No. 1 news site and seemingly everywhere in between.

“I thought it might get a roar from the crowd,” said the lanky teenager while standing on the same gym floor where he performed his routine. “I didn’t know it would escalate.”

But escalate it has. On Wednesday, the “Ellen DeGeneres Show” called the school to inquire about him. On Thursday, morning Matt Lauer and Al Roker were chatting about his dance skills on national TV. MTV News declared, “This Kid Does Michael Jackson Better Than Michael Jackson’s Hologram.” He has more views than the video Hollywood heavyweight J.J. Abrams posted the same day, offering fans a chance to win a role on the new, highly anticipated “Star Wars” movies – by more than 3 million hits.

And, yes, even Jackson’s estate took notice, the his official Twitter account posting to its 1.4 million followers about Nichols’ performance, saying: “CONGRATULATIONS TO BRETT NICHOLS FROM @PITMANPRIDE ON HIS MOONWALK TO THE TALENT SHOW WIN!”

But if being at the center of a viral hurricane is fazing Nichols, the teenager isn’t letting on. Since the video caught fire, he has calmly fielded interviews both from local news stations and national outlets, pausing only to brush his shock of red hair out of his eyes. Pitman is in the last two weeks of the school year, so administrators have allowed him to skip classes and leave early to accommodate media requests.

“I’m just in shock, really,” said Nichols, who is also a member of the school’s water polo team and its aquatics program. “I am taking things one thing at a time and answering as calmly as I can. (Dancing) is something I’ve kept largely to myself. And then the one time I share it, it goes wild.”

Indeed, Nichols hasn’t shared his self-taught talents often. He did a full Michael Jackson routine at a Walnut Elementary School talent show back in the sixth grade. And since then, he would sometimes bust out a few moves in the quad at school when music was playing. But it took an invitation from the talent show coordinator to coax him into competing in front of a larger audience.

Pitman High activities director Jennifer Olesen said students had mentioned Nichols as a possible contestant for the school’s fourth annual talent rally. So she approached him about performing. He was one of 10 acts selected to take part.

“People said, ‘This kid dances like MJ,’ and then when I saw him, I thought this would be a pretty big deal – at the rally,” Olesen said. “I didn’t think it would get over 3 million views in a day. But he’s a cool kid and I’m excited for him.”

Nichols said he learned the dances from watching YouTube videos of Jackson over and over again, as well as DVDs of his most famous performances. He said he became a fan of the iconic entertainer after watching his 30th anniversary special in 2000.

“I’ve always been a fan of superheroes,” said Nichols, while wearing a Superman shirt, “and Michael Jackson is kind of a real-life one.”

That the song Nichols danced to is some 15 years older than the teen himself is a testament to Jackson’s continued appeal even after his death. Still, all this talk of his resemblance to the legendary performer leave Nichols humbled.

“These comparisons between me and Michael Jackson, with people saying it looks spot-on and saying I’m better than the hologram, are amazing,” he said. “But I’d never say I’m better. Ever.”

Pitman Principal Rod Hollars said the whirlwind around Nichols’ dance has been “absolutely crazy.” His staff has been fielding nonstop calls from media across the country. “We have found out how it feels to go incredibly viral,” he said. “For a guy like me who doesn’t even have a cell phone, it’s something.”

Hollars said while Nichols “crushed” his routine, what probably made it the most-watched YouTube video of the week is an elusive and lucky confluence of pop culture circumstance. Jackson has been back in the news lately because of the posthumous release of a new album, “Xscape,” earlier this month. Then a much-buzzed-about hologram of the pop icon performed a new single at the Billboard Music Awards on Sunday night.

“You can’t plan something like this,” Hollars said. “But really it couldn’t have happened to a greater kid. He’s a quiet and unassuming kid. He is just blossoming in the spotlight. The kid has just handled it really well.”

The routine also has earned him a shout-out from Turlock’s other favorite son, San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. The NFL star paid homage to his alma mater and Nichols with a Twitter “#salute” Wednesday evening.

For his part, Nichols said he knows fame could be fleeting. The nature of viral videos is that they’re viral until the next big one comes along. Interestingly, a second, earlier video posted on the day of the talent show featuring just Nichols dancing has failed to generate the same frenzy, logging some 37,000 views to date. But the teen said he hopes to capitalize on Pitman and Turlock’s moment in the limelight by shooting another dance video soon, this time in various places around the city.

“I want to keep this thing going,” he said. “I hope at least I get my sneaker in the door. My big goal is film, I want to direct. But I’m willing to be in front of the camera if I have to. But I’m just blown away with the fact that my face was all over the world.”

Great publicity for Michael :clapping:

Sorry, I don't seem to know how to turn off my marketing antenna's:D

^^Funny, I was thinking that I hope all the kids have copies of Xscape. We are in the promotion mode!!

Always great to see young people get into MJ.

Exactly! My nieces and nephews love him, thanks to me always playing his music/videos when I babysat them. Now many of them have kids of their own and is passing the MJ love on to them! :D

I would have embedded the video if I knew how. . . :doh:

“I’ve always been a fan of superheroes,” said Nichols, while wearing a Superman shirt, “and Michael Jackson is kind of a real-life one.”

Really nice to read that bit.

Michael Jackson @michaeljackson · 14h
CONGRATULATIONS TO BRETT NICHOLS FROM @PITMANPRIDE ON HIS MOONWALK TO THE TALENT SHOW WIN!

Pitman High School @PitmanPride · 14h
Thanks King! RT @michaeljackson: CONGRATULATIONS TO BRETT NICHOLS FROM @PITMANPRIDE ON HIS MOONWALK TO THE TALENT SHOW WIN!

What a class act. Self taught himself over 10 years. Now the Estate is paying for him, his sister and parents to come to Las Vegas and see "One." Good on the Estate!

awesome. so proud of this kid. michael was smiling down from heaven.

Loved this. The closest Billie Jean impersonation I've seen.

CNN-Interview[video=youtube;EKLr2tMV8qg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKLr2tMV8qg[/video]

Brett Nichols, the talented young high school junior from Pitman High School took his viral-video fame to another level on Thursday, May 22. After Nichols’ dance rendition of the late Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” went viral, he has finally caught the media’s attention. He’s also possibly looking to guest in a popular talk show in the U.S. soon.

Nichols fame all started when his astounding performance was captured and uploaded on YouTube. The footage shows Pitman High School’s talent show and the students who participates in it. In the video, Nichols outperforms the others with his flawless Billie Jean routine, especially pulling off the popular “moonwalk.”

Before riding a private car that is headed to CNN on Thursday, Nichols generously obliged for an interview with Turlock Journal, the local community’s bi-weekly newspaper publication.

According to the interview, Nichols started watching the late King of Pop’s videos when he was five years old. The 17-year old high school junior honed his dance routines for nine years. Nichols has already performed the Billie Jean routine during sixth grade, but not as good as in the recent video.

“It’s unbelievable. Thousands of guys can be found doing Michael Jackson videos on YouTube, but everyone is struck by how he is able to capture it,” said Pitman Principal Rod Hollars. “I don’t know what happened in that gym but Nichols captured the moment and the spirit of the talent show,” in a report by Elizabeth Arakelian of Turlock Journal.

Nichols loved Michael Jackson’s music since he discovered it on 2001. “When I didn’t feel like working out I would dance because it’s the perfect form of exercise. It’s fun and before I knew it I would be tired and three hours had passed,” added Nichols in the interview.

During Nichols’ interview with CNN, he was asked how he learned the routine and performed a “spitting image” of the late pop star. Nichols answered that since YouTube came up and short films about Michael Jackson were easy to find, he studied them closely for many years until he perfected the routine.

When he was asked if he improved the MJ routine from the first time he performed it during the sixth grade up to now, Nichols humbly answered “yeah, very much yes.”

According to the Turlock Journal, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show’s” producers have already contacted Nichols for a guest appearance but, “the filming schedule made it impossible to connect with the popular dancing host for this season.”

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/5537...el-jackson-billie-jean-viral.htm#.U4SYunJdXhk

I haven't checked if this is posted on Xscape thread, but I think this should be mentioned here too

Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean' Returns To Hot 100; Legend Lands 50th Hit

The late King of Pop's 1983 smash returns thanks to a viral video. Plus, 'Slave to the Rhythm' debuts, marking Jackson's milestone 50th Hot 100 hit

A week after becoming the first artist to reach the Billboard Hot 100's top 10 in five different decades (and six including his work with the Jackson 5), as "Love Never Felt So Good," with Justin Timberlake zoomed 22-9, Michael Jackson makes news again, as his 1983 No. 1 "Billie Jean" returns. The song re-enters at No. 14 thanks to the popularity of a viral video featuring the track.

Meanwhile, Jackson scores his milestone 50th Hot 100 hit, as "Slave to the Rhythm," from his new album "Xscape," debuts at No. 45.

"Billie Jean" revisits the Hot 100 with 95 percent of its chart points from streaming. It debuts on the Streaming Songs chart at No. 2 thanks to the stylings of Brett Nichols, a junior at Pitman High School in Turlock, Calif. Nichols performed Jackson's iconic dance sequence from 1983's "Motown 25" TV special for his school's talent show, with the clip featuring the song's original audio. The video went viral and Jackson's classic bows on Streaming Songs with 11.2 million U.S. streams in the week ending May 25 (a 320 percent surge), according to Nielsen BDS. It debuts with 95 percent of its streams from YouTube (non-Vevo) activity.

"Billie Jean," from "Thriller," the best-selling studio album of all time (it's been certified 29 times Platinum by to the RIAA), spent seven weeks at No. 1 on the Hot 100 in a 24-week run in 1983. It and 1991's "Black or White" mark the longest reigns of Jackson's 13 Hot 100 No. 1s, the most leaders among solo males.

On Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, "Billie Jean" re-enters at No. 6. It spent nine weeks at No. 1 in 1983, passing "Rock With You" (six weeks, 1980) for his longest command on the genre tally.

NIFTY FIFTY

Jackson also earns his landmark 50th Hot 100 entry, as "Slave to the Rhythm" begins at No. 45. With 75 of its chart points from streaming, the song enters Streaming Songs at No. 11 (3.9 million, up 345 percent). Fifty-six percent of its streaming activity is owed to the official Vevo video of the much buzzed-about virtual Jackson performing the song at the Billboard Music Awards on May 18.

Jackson becomes the 30th artist to collect at least 50 Hot 100 hits and the 20th solo male to earn the honor (tying Eminem's sum). Lil Wayne leads all male soloists with 121 entries, followed by Elvis Presley (108), James Brown (91), Jay Z (82) and Ray Charles (74). Among all acts, Lil Wayne trails only the cast of Fox's "Glee," which has made 207 Hot 100 visits.

On Hot R&B/Hop-Hop Songs, "Slave" soars 38-12. Jackson also debuts at No. 50 with "Chicago."

"Love Never Felt So Good" (which drops 9-16 on the Hot 100 dated June 7), "Slave" and "Chicago" are from Jackson's posthumous album "Xscape," which debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 dated May 31. It ranks at No. 3 this week with 67,000 copies sold (down 57 percent) in the U.S. in the week ending May 25, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Its two-week sales total stands at 224,000.

REID'S WRITING 'RHYTHM'

An additional feat regarding "Slave": The song marks a return to the Hot 100 for L.A. Reid as a songwriter after a nearly 20-year break. The current chairman and CEO of Epic Records co-wrote "Slave" with Kenneth "Babyface" Edmonds, Kevin Roberson and Daryl Simmons.

Reid co-wrote and co-produced numerous Hot 100 hits with Babyface in the '80s and early '90s for the likes of Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Boyz II Men and Bobby Brown. Reid eventually stepped back from writing in the early '90s, focusing on his then-role as co-president of LaFace Records.

Until "Slave," Reid had last charted as a writer on the Oct. 29, 1994, Hot 100, when Braxton's "You Mean the World to Me" spent its final week on the chart. It had peaked at No. 7.

"Slave" dates back to 1989, when Reid and Jackson collaborated in writing and recording sessions for what would become Jackson's 1991 album "Dangerous." "Slave" ultimately never was included on the set and sat unreleased until "Xscape." The original tune (produced by Reid and Babyface) was reworked and produced for its 2014 incarnation by Timbaland and Jerome "JRoc" Harmon.

As an artist, Reid was a member of the Deele (with Babyface), which reached No. 4 on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs and No. 10 on the Hot 100 in 1988 with its sultry ballad "Two Occasions."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...ael-jackson-billie-jean-hot-100-return-xscape

Michael Jackson Dancing Sensation, Brett Nichols, to Release Another Impersonation

Viral Video Phenomenon Announces the Release of Upcoming Dance Video for “Smooth Criminal”

Brett Nichols/Michael Jackson
Turlock, CA (PRWEB) May 28, 2014

With over fifteen million views on YouTube in just a few days, Michael Jackson is back in the news through the most unlikely source. On May 21st seventeen year old Brett Nichols took the internet by storm when the video of his rendition of “Billie Jean” was uploaded to YouTube. The video was recorded when Brett won his high school talent show and it quickly won the attention of people across the world.

The global discovery of Brett’s incredible talent has created a media firestorm, with the video being played on every major media outlet including CNN, TMZ, E!, CBS, The Today Show, and many more!

The video has even reached the Jackson’s themselves, Brett has received a special package from Michael Jackson’s estate which included a huge trophy, a copy of MJ’s new album "Xscape", and an invitation for Brett and his family to join the Jackson family on Michael’s birthday for the live performance of Michael Jackson ONE in Las Vegas.

Michael’s rep told TMZ, “The executors saw Nichols' impressive performance and were blown away.”
All this attention has caused a huge demand for more from Brett. He has received offers from all over the planet for interviews, performances, and appearances so Brett has decided to release more videos of MJ’s routines starting with the infamous dance in the “Smooth Criminal” video. He will release the video on Monday June 2nd on his official YouTube Channel. He is also planning on pursuing a career in acting and is considering roles that he has recently been approached with.

For more information contact Domenick Nati at NatiCelebs(at)gmail(dot)com.
https://twitter.com/BrettWNichols
http://instagram.com/BrettNicholsOfficial
https://www.youtube.com/BrettNicholsOfficial
https://www.facebook.com/BrettNicholsOfficial

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/05/prweb11893387.htm

Brett Nichols @BrettWNichols · 11 h.

@ElkeHassell @BazMichael @michaeljackson Thank you and hopefully I can keep making him proud #grateful #kingofpop #MichaelJackson

Do You Wanna Be Like Mike? Here’s How…

jrv0f-aust-11.jpeg

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/timsblog/x1760079798/Tim-Kolodziej-Do-you-wanna-be-like-Mike-Here-s-how

That was awesome, one of the best I've seen :)

Friday, 30 May 2014 20:01Nichols Gets Publicist, Acting Role Offers, To Release New Dances on YouTube

Written by Alex Cantatore - alex@turlockcitynews.com

• [*=center]<iframe name="f38864d6e4" width="450px" height="1000px" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" title="fb:like Facebook Social Plugin" src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?app_id=310866594606&channel=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.ak.facebook.com%2Fconnect%2Fxd_arbiter%2FV80PAcvrynR.js%3Fversion%3D41%23cb%3Df2117197b4%26domain%3Dturlockcitynews.com%26origin%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fturlockcitynews.com%252Ff2ef8a025%26relation%3Dparent.parent&href=http%3A%2F%2Fturlockcitynews.com%2Findex.php%2Flife-social%2Fitem%2F2585-nichols-gets-publicist-acting-role-offers-to-release-new-dances-on-youtube&locale=en_GB&sdk=joey&send=true&show_faces=true&width=450" class="" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; outline: 0px; position: absolute; visibility: visible; width: 450px; height: 25px; background: transparent;"></iframe>

32699af76cfc6e0191d612ffd4e88ee9_L.jpg
Courtesy of The Official Facebook Page Of Brett Nichols

Pitman High School junior Brett Nichols now has a celebrity publicist, an official YouTube channel, and is considering acting offers.

What a difference a week makes for Nichols, who was just an average high school student before last Wednesday. It was then that a video of Nichols dancing like the King of Pop Michael Jackson hit reddit and went viral, earning worldwide acclaim.

More than 15 million people have now seen Nichols’ first-place performance to “Billie Jean” in the Pitman High School Talent Rally. He has been interviewed by CNN, MTV, and other national news agencies.

According to Nichols’ new publicist, he plans to release more videos of Jackson dance routines on a new, official YouTube channel. His first release, a recreation of Jackson’s “Smooth Criminal” video, will come on Monday.

The publicist also noted that Nichols is now pursuing a career in acting, and has been contacted to perform in several roles. No further information about those roles is available at this time.

Nichols is being represented by Hollywood publicist Domenick Nati, of Nati Celebrity Services. Nati has provided publicity services for rappers DMX, Raekwon and Warren G, as well as comedians Pauly Shore, Charley Murphy, Cedric the Entertainer and NASCAR drivers Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, and Kurt Busch.

Nichols now has official Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Facebook accounts.

According to a press release, Nichols has also been contacted by the Michael Jackson estate. The estate awarded Nichols with a “huge trophy,” a copy of the new Jackson album “Xcsape,” and tickets for Nichols and his family to see a live performance of the Cirque du Soleil show “Michael Jackson ONE,” in Las Vegas, on Jackson’s birthday.

http://turlockcitynews.com/index.ph...offers-to-release-new-dances-on-youtubekson’s birthday.

Wow! Thank you Diddy for posting my video on your Facebook. 20,000 shares! I am speechless.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152478279249697

Listen to my radio interview with Brian Oxman Show

Brett Nichols on "Insight" with Brian Oxman

Originally aired May 28, 2014. For Brett Nichols contact Domenick Nati at NatiCelebs@gm

"Brett has started a media frenzy, and now, he has decided to release a second video of MJ’s routine starting with “Smooth Criminal” released on Monday, June 2nd."

Brett Nichols @BrettWNichols · 39m

I'll be around #SF shooting my new video for #smoothcriminal come say hi!

Hey @michaeljackson fans like me on facebook before my next video comes out #smoothcriminal https://www.facebook.com/BrettNicholsOfficial …

Just watched his Smooth Criminal video on his Facebook page. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. It was ok but not nearly as good as the Billie Jean performance.

Back