Brazil’s Carnival moves beyond samba with Michael Jackson themed street party

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
RIO DE JANEIRO – The crowd gathering Saturday was a typical Rio Carnival mix: a sprinkling of superheroes, girls in cute bunny outfits, zombies and princesses, a group of hairy-chested hula dancers.
But the sound sure wasn’t samba. “You and I must make a pact,” a high-pitched voice sang in English, soaring above the crowd. “We must bring salvation back.”
The Michael Jackson themed “Thriller Eletrico” street party was one of a handful adding a dash of hard rock, Motown, Latin rhythms and other eclectic beats to the samba sounds associated with Brazil’s wild Carnival celebrations, even if they include a season-appropriate jolt of percussion in their renditions.

Those who showed up for the Jackson “bloco,” as the street bands and their followers are known, came prepared to celebrate their icon: There were white gloves in the crowd, along with sequined fedoras, wigs and get-ups representing the artist in various phases of his long career.

“I’m a huge MJ fan,” said Marjorie Lopes, dancing near the stage as the band launched into “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough.” ”Now, mixing it up with samba, you can’t ask for more!”

More (not about MJ): http://metronews.ca/scene/543428/brazils-carnival-moves-beyond-samba/

2010 pic: (Michael Jackson win Carnival's top award)

Carnival-Michael-Jackson-600x400.jpg

I can not think about any other person who's loved as much as Michael is. Hope he knew and felt how much people loved him.

Waw Ash will be so happy, & I love samba too. Congratulations Michael!

Moonwalker.Fan;3775318 said:
RIO DE JANEIRO – The crowd gathering Saturday was a typical Rio Carnival mix: a sprinkling of superheroes, girls in cute bunny outfits, zombies and princesses, a group of hairy-chested hula dancers.
But the sound sure wasn’t samba. “You and I must make a pact,” a high-pitched voice sang in English, soaring above the crowd. “We must bring salvation back.”
The Michael Jackson themed “Thriller Eletrico” street party was one of a handful adding a dash of hard rock, Motown, Latin rhythms and other eclectic beats to the samba sounds associated with Brazil’s wild Carnival celebrations, even if they include a season-appropriate jolt of percussion in their renditions.

Those who showed up for the Jackson “bloco,” as the street bands and their followers are known, came prepared to celebrate their icon: There were white gloves in the crowd, along with sequined fedoras, wigs and get-ups representing the artist in various phases of his long career.

“I’m a huge MJ fan,” said Marjorie Lopes, dancing near the stage as the band launched into “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough.” ”Now, mixing it up with samba, you can’t ask for more!”

More (not about MJ): http://metronews.ca/scene/543428/brazils-carnival-moves-beyond-samba/

2010 pic: (Michael Jackson win Carnival's top award)

Carnival-Michael-Jackson-600x400.jpg

I can remember this performance!!

This theme was about "Mystery and Magic"

I remember that a lady from Rio said something like: "mysterious people are wonderful" *____*

popcorn-MJ.gif

And Spike Lee was in Brazil (Bahia > I do not know if he is still in Bahia....) to the carnival
kermit.gif
:

spikelee-agnews-jpg_120307.jpg

spike-e-gil-a.jpg

spike-e-flora.jpg

:wild:

He is making a documentary about Brazil and did some filming carnival in Bahia. Spike loves Brazil. :girl_sigh: I'll still know it! :blushing: Quincy Jones also always come to Brazil.

Waw Ash will be so happy, & I love samba too. Congratulations Michael!

:shifty:
kermit.gif

Here are some pics:

sofa1.jpg

538175_530880416956785_908011916_n.jpg

Rio de Janeiro!!! :woohoo:

South-America is amazing when it comes to Michael. :)

Brazilians know how to throw a good street party & celebration.

:bump

I was searching this video and found! :woohoo: This is the commission of head of the samba school "Acadêmicos do Salgueiro" bringing in references to Michael: pans / white socks / shoes as steps of the choreography of "Billie Jean", "Beat It" and Moonwalk. Look:

[youtube]M6f57ENiOWE[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6f57ENiOWE

Last edited:
Ashtanga;3780381 said:
:bump

I was searching this video and found! :woohoo: This is the commission of head of the samba school "Acadêmicos do Salgueiro" bringing in references to Michael: pans / white socks / shoes as steps of the choreography of "Billie Jean", "Beat It" and Moonwalk. Look:

[youtube]M6f57ENiOWE[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6f57ENiOWE

Apart them, the school samba "Unidos da Tijuca" also had a MJ doll in one of his allegorical cars

Thanks to everyone for info about the festival.
This type of event just goes to show that ordinary people make a whole lot better tribute than some of these contrived shows with a bunch of celebs. No strings attached, you just come and have fun.
It only gets better when you join becuz you do have respect for the man and miss him.

I'll Be There at a Brazilian carnival,...You wouldn't think that happend before.
Something that reminds me of his passing.
Anyway, I guess that song served like a break after they worked up some sweat dancing. Cool :)

Don't Stop Til You Get Enough with samba rhythm, that makes a lotta sense to me!
I can almost hear it in my head!:dancin:

Back