Brazilian musicians recall working with Jackson

arXter

Proud Member
big fan of Brasilian music, i found this yesterday on a Brazilian site and had my friend Antonia help out with the translation. cheers, A. written less than a month ago.

http://jbonline.terra.com.br/extra/2008/08/29/e29087530.html

Ricardo Schott, Jornal do Brasil
29/08/2008

RIO - Since the launch of Off The Wall, the record that inaugurated the career of Michael Jackson at Sony, Brazilian musicians have attended the singer's studio on many occasions. The most common of them is Rio percussionist Paulinho da Costa, who has been residing in Los Angeles since the early 70s, participating in every one of the singer’s albums since 1979. During the recording of Thriller, he recalls the singer as being a very nice person, and found him “open and relaxing” to work with. This is echoed by US-based Brazilian Antonio Moogie Canázio who in the early 90s had engineered the recording of Sergio Mendes’s Brasileiro album, ended up being invited by Jackson’s engineer, Bruce Swedien, to take care of some songs from Dangerous - which had hits such as Black Or White, and Remember The Time. He recalls:

“During the sessions, Jackson was extremely dedicated to his work. It is a detail that is quite antagonistic, if you take into account every success and all the power it garnished” – he tells the Jornal do Brasil, by telephone, from Los Angeles, saying that even his idol at the time was the engineer/producer Bruce Swedien. – “He commanded a very good team, very united and with enough time and space to try and find new things, even within a Pop framework.”

Another Brazilian who has worked sessions with Jackson was Lauder de Oliveira, then percussionist of the American pop group Chicago. Lauder worked on the album Destiny (1978), one of the last of the Jacksons with the youngest brother, and ended up being a witness to a moment of rupture in the history of the singer, who shortly thereafter would succeed enormously.

“I had no pressure, but there was a lot of expectation on [Michael], so that the group is now produced by Quincy Jones, who was then his producer” - Oliveira says, impressed with the gap between the past and present of Jackson. – “The guy I knew in 1978 was humble and shy, and sought opinions from everyone. I never imagined that he would want to turn white or something.”

Two other Brazilians, composers and singers, shared their stories and concluded that relations with the king of pop could have changed their working lives. In 1986, singer-songwriter Djavan received a request from the then Jackson producer, Quincy Jones, to write a song for the singer's next album, Bad (1987). At the time, Djavan and Jones were related professionally: the composer had some of his songs produced by Quincy. The author of Oceano had already crafted the melody for Jackson, and received a letter from Michael himself, but only to apologise.

“Jones had asked me eight months in advance, imagining how the music would sound like, but he only sent for me to work right at the end of production of the disc. It was the Pop business but still very farfetched, inappropriate for me” - says Djavan, who is a fan of Thriller, Jackson’s classic, an album that was revolutionary. – “It is unbeatable. Michael has that notion of how to go pop and yet not be trivial.”

Despite that the professional contact has not yielded anything, Djavan still recalls seeing the singer, when needed to go to Los Angeles to find Jones. At the time, he was working on Bad at Sunset Sound studio.

“He was in the studio, watching a cartoon on TV, laughing a lot. And he was painted in red, like a gangster” – he recalls, pointing out a detail that also drew his attention – “Jackson seemed like a startled bird, looking a bit shy and nervous at us to his side, and when I looked at him directly, his eyes turned back!”

Ivan Lins was another Brazilian to almost write for Jackson, for his Thriller album. Differences between the singer, his partner Vitor Martins and one of Quincy Jones’s lawyers prevented him from making the final cut. He composed a song with lyrics in English by Rod Temperton.

“The lawyer wanted to give us a pothole and we spent eight months fighting. We didn’t even know if they actually heard the music” - says the singer, who personally met Jackson in 1981 in an unusual situation: the king of pop was one of the guests at a dinner part in the home of Quincy Jones in Los Angeles. – “He played with Jones’s daughters, completely unaware of anything else. The (singer) Patti Austin told me he was always shy and that when he had to go on stage, he needed a push.”

big fan of Brasilian music, i found this yesterday on a Brazilian site and had my friend Antonia help out with the translation. cheers, A. written less than a month ago.

http://jbonline.terra.com.br/extra/2008/08/29/e29087530.html

Ricardo Schott, Jornal do Brasil
29/08/2008

RIO - Since the launch of Off The Wall, the record that inaugurated the career of Michael Jackson at Sony, Brazilian musicians have attended the singer's studio on many occasions. The most common of them is Rio percussionist Paulinho da Costa, who has been residing in Los Angeles since the early 70s, participating in every one of the singer’s albums since 1979. During the recording of Thriller, he recalls the singer as being a very nice person, and found him “open and relaxing” to work with. This is echoed by US-based Brazilian Antonio Moogie Canázio who in the early 90s had engineered the recording of Sergio Mendes’s Brasileiro album, ended up being invited by Jackson’s engineer, Bruce Swedien, to take care of some songs from Dangerous - which had hits such as Black Or White, and Remember The Time. He recalls:

“During the sessions, Jackson was extremely dedicated to his work. It is a detail that is quite antagonistic, if you take into account every success and all the power it garnished” – he tells the Jornal do Brasil, by telephone, from Los Angeles, saying that even his idol at the time was the engineer/producer Bruce Swedien. – “He commanded a very good team, very united and with enough time and space to try and find new things, even within a Pop framework.”

Another Brazilian who has worked sessions with Jackson was Lauder de Oliveira, then percussionist of the American pop group Chicago. Lauder worked on the album Destiny (1978), one of the last of the Jacksons with the youngest brother, and ended up being a witness to a moment of rupture in the history of the singer, who shortly thereafter would succeed enormously.

“I had no pressure, but there was a lot of expectation on [Michael], so that the group is now produced by Quincy Jones, who was then his producer” - Oliveira says, impressed with the gap between the past and present of Jackson. – “The guy I knew in 1978 was humble and shy, and sought opinions from everyone. I never imagined that he would want to turn white or something.”

Two other Brazilians, composers and singers, shared their stories and concluded that relations with the king of pop could have changed their working lives. In 1986, singer-songwriter Djavan received a request from the then Jackson producer, Quincy Jones, to write a song for the singer's next album, Bad (1987). At the time, Djavan and Jones were related professionally: the composer had some of his songs produced by Quincy. The author of Oceano had already crafted the melody for Jackson, and received a letter from Michael himself, but only to apologise.

“Jones had asked me eight months in advance, imagining how the music would sound like, but he only sent for me to work right at the end of production of the disc. It was the Pop business but still very farfetched, inappropriate for me” - says Djavan, who is a fan of Thriller, Jackson’s classic, an album that was revolutionary. – “It is unbeatable. Michael has that notion of how to go pop and yet not be trivial.”

Despite that the professional contact has not yielded anything, Djavan still recalls seeing the singer, when needed to go to Los Angeles to find Jones. At the time, he was working on Bad at Sunset Sound studio.

“He was in the studio, watching a cartoon on TV, laughing a lot. And he was painted in red, like a gangster” – he recalls, pointing out a detail that also drew his attention – “Jackson seemed like a startled bird, looking a bit shy and nervous at us to his side, and when I looked at him directly, his eyes turned back!”

Ivan Lins was another Brazilian to almost write for Jackson, for his Thriller album. Differences between the singer, his partner Vitor Martins and one of Quincy Jones’s lawyers prevented him from making the final cut. He composed a song with lyrics in English by Rod Temperton.

“The lawyer wanted to give us a pothole and we spent eight months fighting. We didn’t even know if they actually heard the music” - says the singer, who personally met Jackson in 1981 in an unusual situation: the king of pop was one of the guests at a dinner part in the home of Quincy Jones in Los Angeles. – “He played with Jones’s daughters, completely unaware of anything else. The (singer) Patti Austin told me he was always shy and that when he had to go on stage, he needed a push.”

Don't know what to make of this. I doubt it, but with Mike one never knows.

Hmmm...... Anyway, thanks for posting this, arxter.

I never imagined that he would want to turn white or something.

WTF? I am sorry but MJ didn't "turn white". He has a skin disorder. Also, I was lost about this -

And he was painted in red, like a gangster”

Meaning that MJ painted himself "red" and it looked like a "gangster" to him???? Wow, I didn't know that in order to look like a gangster, you have to be red.

Overall, very interesting to say the least. I didn't like certain parts of the article, but it was interesting. It showed that MJ is very diverse when it comes to music. The observations about MJ were quite interesting and a bit ignorant, but overall, it wasn't bad.

idiot alert

no offence guys, but i thought we'd be able to look beyond the couple of inane comments from some old-fashioned blokes in the midst of new retrospective insights lol

no offense guys, but i thought we'd be able to look beyond the couple of inane comments from some old-fashioned blokes in the midst of new retrospective insights lol

You're right, and I tried my best to do that. Thank you for posting this. It's a nice piece of information to have. Seems like these musicians/songwriters were pretty stuck in their ways until Quincy called them up to help with Michael's music. But, that's usually how it is for more commercial music.

no offence guys, but i thought we'd be able to look beyond the couple of inane comments from some old-fashioned blokes in the midst of new retrospective insights lol

yeah i read it and some of it was intresting but hes still an idiot lol kinda hard to take ppl seriously when they talk such uneducated b..s

Hmmm...... Anyway, thanks for posting this, arxter.

WTF? I am sorry but MJ didn't "turn white". He has a skin disorder. Also, I was lost about this -

Meaning that MJ painted himself "red" and it looked like a "gangster" to him???? Wow, I didn't know that in order to look like a gangster, you have to be red.

Overall, very interesting to say the least. I didn't like certain parts of the article, but it was interesting. It showed that MJ is very diverse when it comes to music. The observations about MJ were quite interesting and a bit ignorant, but overall, it wasn't bad.
I do agree............

Thanks for posting that. It had some interesting comments on Michael, except for the unforgivably ignorant one about him "wanting to be white". But beyond that, it was cool and insightful.

I always find it interesting because, from person to person, they all seem to have the same perception and view of Michael. They always say how nice he is, how humble and curious he is, asking for everyone's view and opinion or that he's withdrawn and/or timid. That view of him never seems to waver or change, no matter who you're talking to. Michael's pretty consistent in who he is.

That comment about "turning white" could have meant that he doesn't believe the rumors that people say he wanted to turn white. It could have been a poorly-worded defense of MJ. Then again, maybe not. Interesting read.

I did that. I thought it was an interesting read. However, I can't look past this: when the person stated how MJ was when he was with him, he didn't have to say that he didn't think that MJ would "turn white". Michael does not look like a white man and that what he stated about MJ regarding his personality, has nothing to do with his skin complextion.

It could have been a poorly-worded defense of MJ

It was best that he did not even say it at all. The person could have gotten his point across without being a bit ignorant.

Back