Bonus track for Xscape vinyl?

Eric

Proud Member
Bonus track for Xscape vinyl? Exclusive song!

Does anyone know if the bonus track for Xscape vinyl will be LNFSG with Justin Timberlake? The press release wasn't clear and the way I read it they left the door open for it to be a different track.

Last edited:
My guess is that it'll probably be the Justin Timberlake duet :)

You know what would probably sound good on vinyl .. a little d'angelo, mary, questlove and the gang ....

You know what would sound good on the vinyl? An a cappella of Chicago.

Wanna know what would sound terrible? Hot Fun in the Summertime.

You know what would sound good on the vinyl? An a cappella of Chicago.

Wanna know what would sound terrible? Hot Fun in the Summertime.

I don't know why you have to be so childishly hostile to this song when none of us have even heard it. Sorry, but your argument against it was hypociritical in the other thread, considering you are one of the biggest supporters of the Timbaland-Timberlake collaboration but suddenly in the case of this song it's a problem to you that MJ would "collaborate" with people on it with whom he never worked in life. Newsflash: he never worked with Timbaland and Timberlake either and we do not know if he would have. Yet you are supportive of those songs. It's almost as if it's some childish partisan thing on your part. You don't have to campaign against others (the makers of Hot Fun, Michael's original versions etc.) to try to elevate Timbaland...

Last edited:
It could be the Fedde lu Bonde or whatever his name is remix?

Re: Bonus track for Xscape vinyl? Exclusive song!

that remix sux. barely any vocals. what the heck?

I just hope it's a song we have never heard before. I think it's cool that vinyl will be getting an exclusive song. It's kind of the reverse situation when the Bad album CD got Leave me Alone.

I don't know why you have to be so childishly hostile to this song when none of us have even heard it. Sorry, but your argument against it was hypociritical in the other thread, considering you are one of the biggest supporters of the Timbaland-Timberlake collaboration but suddenly in the case of this song it's a problem to you that MJ would "collaborate" with people on it with whom he never worked in life. Newsflash: he never worked with Timbaland and Timberlake either and we do not know if he would have. Yet you are supportive of those songs. It's almost as if it's some childish partisan thing on your part. You don't have to campaign against others (the makers of Hot Fun, Michael's original versions etc.) to try to elevate Timbaland...

Fair enough. Allow me to offer my argument.

In regards to the bolded section, that is not why I am against the release of Hot Fun in the Summertime. I am very aware that Michael never entered the studio with Justin Timberlake nor Timbaland. But here is the difference: in the Timberlake remix of Love Never Felt So Good, Justin takes lead vocals for a single verse. Every other verse, chorus, bridge and coda is sung by Michael.

This is not the case with Hot Fun. Michael Prince himself said that Michael only sang a "little bit" on that song, which implies that other vocalists would be required to make the song sound complete. They brought in two other singers to finish the track (D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige). Hot Fun is only about two and a half minutes long, if I'm not mistaken, and is a three-part duet. Michael would have about 1/3 of the track. That's absolutely ridiculous, especially for a Michael Jackson album. It's not even a Jackson track anymore: it's D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige featuring Michael. And that isn't right.

I consistently see people complain about Michael's lack of airtime in Hold My Hand, yet campaign for the release of Hot Fun, which makes no sense to me. Why release a song labeled as Michael Jackson when Michael is on less than half of it?

To underline, I am simply jumping off of what Michael Prince has said, given that he himself has heard the track. And based on his quotes, it seems likely that Hot Fun will be a disappointment. I'm not buying a Michael Jackson album to hear two other singers sing the rest of the song. The estate should put on the 2010 mix of Do You Know Where Your Children Are. Hell, maybe even the Tricky Stewart mix of Slave to the Rhythm. If they want to release Hot Fun, put it on a Mary J. Blige record.

^ It's pretty interesting how you change your argument. First you said you were against it because MJ never worked with MJB, D'Angelo and Questlove... As for this new argument: The difference between LNFSG, HMH and Hot Fun is that the first two are lead singles. Hot Fun would be just a bonus track on ONE format of the album (that IF the assumption is true that this is the vinyl exclusive - which I do not find likely, but this is the possibility that we are addressing), not something that is featured on the main formats, let alone being a lead single. Plus if MJ did not record much vocals for it it actually makes more sense to make it a "duet" than LNFSG. Not that I'm against the JT version - I'm fully aware of the commercial reasons of that -, just putting things into a perspective.

Last edited:
^ It's pretty interesting how you change your argument. First you said you were against it because MJ never worked with MJB, D'Angelo and Questlove... As for this new argument: The difference between LNFSG, HMH and Hot Fun is that the first two are lead singles. Hot Fun would be just a bonus track on ONE format of the album (that IF the assumption is true that this is the vinyl exclusive - which I do not find likely, but this is the possibility that we are addressing), not something that is featured on the main formats, let alone being a lead single. Plus if MJ did not record much vocals for it it actually makes more sense to make it a "duet" than LNFSG. Not that I'm against the JT version - I'm fully aware of the commercial reasons of that -, just putting things into a perspective.

I'm not gonna lie: originally I was against it. Then I sat down and thought, and realized that I was being ridiculous. After all, I do adore the Timberlake version of Love Never Felt So Good.

And no, that is not the difference. I see fans angry over Hold My Hand solely because there's not enough Michael on it, which is a ridiculous argument. But regardless, I still feel that a bonus track should be something worth listening to in high quality. Maybe an alternate version of Do You Know. A later version of Chicago that Cory Rooney/Taryll Jackson produced in 2010. But a song that has almost no vocals from the artist who originally recorded it? Definitely not.

Recording the song as a duet between Michael and another artist would be fine, I suppose. But here, it's a duet between D'Angelo and Mary J. Blige featuring Michael on a single verse, which is not right. If they want to do that, put it on their own album.

According to bestbuy.com the bonus song for the vinyl is LNFSG with Timberlake. I guess when they call it a vinyl exclusive they just mean vinyl exclusive for the standard edition of Xscape since the standard edition CD doesn't have the track.

Richard Lecocq ?@richardjllecocq Jun 8
Xscape reworked songs sound even better on vinyle. #mjxscape #mjfam http://instagram.com/p/o_07_-qsBW/

10432031_241348362731455_1188436767_n.jpg

#MJXSCAPE with the sun in my eyes picking up my vinyl :) #MichaelJackson pic.twitter.com/6HHOfoZMky

I went out to buy this yesterday but it's so hard to find vinyl in stores in the USA.

I got my vinyl and there is no new song on it. I just looked at the back of the case, because I don't want to open it yet. The duet with Justin is on it, but I don't know if you can call that a bonus.

I got my vinyl and there is no new song on it. I just looked at the back of the case, because I don't want to open it yet. The duet with Justin is on it, but I don't know if you can call that a bonus.

Well it is the bonus track. The vinyl is basically the standard edition of the album, which the JT duet isn't a part of. You get the song as a bonus on top of the standard edition :)

I hope to add this record to my collection sometime, it looks so nice! Maybe around my birthday or something :p

I just got the record in about a week ago, so here's my mini review for those considering picking it up:

Kind of dissapointed in this pressing of this record, to be honest. The quality of the sleeve and everything that goes along with that is pretty top notch but the actual record sounds really disappointing in quality. I'm not sure what source material was used, but it didn't sound very high quality. The worst part about it is that something is up with tracks 4 (APWNN) through track 8 (XSCAPE)... they almost sound sped up and/or pitch shifted. I don't believe this effects tracks 1 through 3 and the bonus track however. The reason I believe this was done was due to the fact that the bass in these particular songs is so low and so loud in comparison to the other instruments that it had to be pitch shifted up/sped up so the needle wouldn't jump off the record and skip around. It might have also been sped up due to the fact that 1 LP can only hold so much on a side... however I'm not sure how long the total time of the record is and I also can't remember how much an LP can hold per side without affecting the quality of the pressing. Another issue I've noticed is how horribly distorted it gets as it plays through each side (this is especially the worst on side 2). The sibilance is so overwhelming and distorting the quality of the record it almost makes it unlistenable. A pressing of MJ's BAD album that I have does this as well, so its not like this has never happened to me before, haha.

Now, I record, mix, and master audio very frequently as well as make my own music, and I do prefer listening to the highest quality recording possible, so my standards may be well above the average listener and this did affect my review and if I came off a little harsh, now you would see why. If you are an MJ fan and you're interested in picking up XSCAPE on vinyl do yourself a favor and GET IT. It's a GREAT collectors item, gift, or whatever and although the quality isn't all there, don't let that stop you from enjoying the music, because I'm sure the average listener doesn't really care about the quality of the pressing.

Just figured I would share my thoughts on the vinyl version of this record. And yes, by the way, I am happy I bought it on vinyl. It's great to have.

In the 60s~80s when vinyl was THE main medium it was a multi million dollar business. These days it's a collectors items nieche market. The process to create a vinyl record is very complecated, compared to putting music out on CD. So today there is not as much effort put into creating quality vinyl products as it used to be.

We have seen this again and again with new MJ vinyl releases. They are basicly nice to look at and touch and to put on the shelf... but for listening, I always go for clean digital audio.

Back