"Blood on the Dance Floor" the best selling remix album ever released

Arabian Knight

Proud Member

Blood_on_the_dancefloor.jpg

Worldwide sales stand at 11 million copies as of 2009, making it the best selling remix album ever released. Several contemporary critics view the material in an increasingly favorable light and believe the album could have been more successful—commentators argue that certain sections of the world took interest in tabloid stories about the singers personal life over his musical career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_on_the_Dance_Floor:_HIStory_in_the_Mix

11 mil? what that's almost as much as vince... how is that possible?

Wow, I didn't know about it.
Thank you so much for this information!

11 mil? what that's almost as much as vince... how is that possible?
Well even though it's called a remix album, there were 5 new songs on there. I'm sure the new songs drove the sales more than the remixes. If there were only remixes on the album, it would have sold less.

Well even though it's called a remix album, there were 5 new songs on there. I'm sure the new songs drove the sales more than the remixes. If there were only remixes on the album, it would have sold less.

Still, last i heard was around 7 mil total and vince at 10-11, unless vince sales have also grew it's just so out of this world to me that BOTDF is selling in the same league as Invincible.

And HIStory album with 21 mil. boxes (=42 mil. CDs) is the best selling double album...

I think that somebody should upgrade all the sales of MJs albums and certificate them, including RIAA and Guiness, and all the music mags, and show the world the music impact of MJ... (and of course for the mad Elvis fans who cant stand that MJ is larger than Elvis has ever been...)

Looks like this is a very recent update, if you check the bottom of the page it says: This page was last modified on 1 November 2009 at 23:02.

dont believe its at 11 mill it sold about 7 mill at the time and i doubt it has sold another 4 mill since.its rare to even see the album in shops

Question: Was this Michael's only video where he really couple danced?

I know in his other videos like Rock My World, etc., there is a female dancer, but they do their own thing. I loved "Blood..." because he actually danced with a female partner, bringing her into his embrace, swinging her around, etc. I mean it was a little bit like Patrick Swayze did in Dirty Dancing. I would have loved seeing him in more couple type dancing.

Blood On The Dancefloor has not sold 11 million. It has sold somewhere between 7-8 million.

Yep copies are poping up a lot now. Saw about 30 copies at Wal-Mart yesterday for 5 bucks!

At that price, I expect the sales to spike.

Also, weren't the remixs added by the influence of sony? I had heard MJ only wanted to do an EP titled Ghosts and just have the 5 new songs. Sony insisted on adding the remixes so they could justify sellling it for a full cd price. I guess this may be why the name was changed to Blood on the dance floor, because they felt it sounded for more a remix album title? This may be true, because weren't most of the remixes available already on the singles from HIStory? I know Scream was...

Anyone think that Sony may re-issue the second disc of HIStory as a lone release? The title had to meanings anyways, History for disc one and HIS-story for two two. It's just at this point with Number Ones, Essential and TTI. History disc one seems to be obsolete.

I saw Blood on the Dance Floor at Best Buy a few weeks ago, along with all his other albums, except for Off the Wall. I don't think I've seen Off the Wall anywhere. They had a lot of Jackson 5 stuff too. I guess it makes sense BOTDF is the biggest selling remix album, because well...it's Michael Jackson.

Blood_on_the_dancefloor.jpg

Worldwide sales stand at 11 million copies as of 2009, making it the best selling remix album ever released. Several contemporary critics view the material in an increasingly favorable light and believe the album could have been more successful—commentators argue that certain sections of the world took interest in tabloid stories about the singers personal life over his musical career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_on_the_Dance_Floor:_HIStory_in_the_Mix

I looooove this album. oh, and to the critics? too little too late, ya buggers!! :angry:

dont believe its at 11 mill it sold about 7 mill at the time and i doubt it has sold another 4 mill since.its rare to even see the album in shops

actually, it's everywhere here in the northeastern US. in fact, it's really cheap, as well. I bought two recently for $5.99 each. the cheapest MJ album available right now -- BOTDF.

Yes I enjoyed MJ in the BOTDF video doing a Latin dance! He can literally do any kind of dance, and when he broke the Maracas that was so HOTT!

I saw Blood on the Dance Floor at Best Buy a few weeks ago, along with all his other albums, except for Off the Wall. I don't think I've seen Off the Wall anywhere. They had a lot of Jackson 5 stuff too. I guess it makes sense BOTDF is the biggest selling remix album, because well...it's Michael Jackson.

I got Off the Wall at Borders. I've also seen it at Target.

Question: Was this Michael's only video where he really couple danced?

I know in his other videos like Rock My World, etc., there is a female dancer, but they do their own thing. I loved "Blood..." because he actually danced with a female partner, bringing her into his embrace, swinging her around, etc. I mean it was a little bit like Patrick Swayze did in Dirty Dancing. I would have loved seeing him in more couple type dancing.

Well, there's In The Closet, of course, which is described as a pas de deux, but I know what you mean... I've thought the same thing. You know, he used to dance a lot with women at Studio 54 in New York; wouldn't you kill for some video of that? And was he doing any true disco couple dancing there, or just cutting loose on his own? Inquiring minds want to know!

(I'm starting a general dance discussion at MJ the Dancer, through This Is It. It would be interestaing if you added a BOTDF clip noting your favorite dance sequences.)

Back