Black or white

Remington Steele

Proud Member
I searched for "Black or white" in the TII Discussion section - no thread here yet?? Can't believe it...

Anyway, it's one of my favorite parts in the movie... love to see him perform that again.

One question: Is that angry part ("I'm tired of this devil... I'm tired of this stuff" and so forth) really sung live or did they take it from somewhere else? I'm not sure...

I think it's all 100 % live sung.

One of my favorite songs from TII.

Whoa, I was just listening to the TII BoW audio when I spotted this thread. What a coincidence! lol

The "angry" part sounds like it's live. I mean, his voice sounds current ... as in, not some demo from 20 years ago.

I really loved it live...I don't think he's ever actually performed it live (?) until TII

It looks like they cut the audio (perhaps from another rehearsal) and placed it for that particular video shot. But whatever the case is, I think parts are live and parts aren't.

The image of passing ends by it when selling it with HQ thought to be absolutely.

Which parts do you think are not live?

The "angry" part sounds like it's live. I mean, his voice sounds current ... as in, not some demo from 20 years ago.

It's strange to think the song is really almost 20 years old... it's still so fresh, I can listen to it every day and it still brings so much joy... :yes:... to me it's just THE feel-good-song.

Yep, the first time we ever heard it sung live. It would have been amazing at full power, not just rehearsal pace. It always feels like he enjoys this song being performed because he has so much spirit and energy!

That's what I thought, too... and he continuously smiles at the other singers.

But wasn't BOW Munich 1992 live?

It's strange to think the song is really almost 20 years old... it's still so fresh, I can listen to it every day and it still brings so much joy... :yes:... to me it's just THE feel-good-song.

Agreed, the vibe of the guitars IS feel-good, always make me think of summer and sunshine, despite the song being released in November of 1991!! lol. And yes, it's hard for me to get my head around Dangerous being "19" - I still group it with HIStory, Blood and Vince as "new" MJ, as opposed to J5/Jacksons/OTW/Thriller/Bad being "classic" MJ. This is probably because I became a fan because of the BoW video and Dangerous was the first album I owned, Xmas 1991 (I was 7) :-D

Wasn't BoW sung 100% live at Wembley in 1992? I used to have a video of MJ introducing it (clearly it was played on some TV programme) and saying "Here is a very special live performance", or something similar?

yeh, black or white was live at munich 1992 and wembley 1992 (though the latter was live plus playback). these are my all time favourite performances of this song.

there's a rumour that the 2002 performance was live too.

but THIS IS IT- WOW. he had so much power left in his voice! this was the most rockin' song in the movie.

Right... BTW, was the 2002 performance (Harlem?) at least filmed and taped or wasn't there even a camera rollin'?

Agreed, the vibe of the guitars IS feel-
good...

Yeah, let alone how the song starts, you here the riff for the first time and Michael instantly going "Aaaoww!!!" :D - it still gives me gooseflesh almost every time I listen to it. Somewhat magical IYAM...

yeh, black or white was live at munich 1992 and wembley 1992 (though the latter was live plus playback). these are my all time favourite performances of this song.

Both performances from London and Munich '92 mainly featured playback and Mike chimed in with live vocals sporadically, Along with Siedah Garrett. Munich '92 was not 100% live.

Right... BTW, was the 2002 performance (Harlem?) at least filmed and taped or wasn't there even a camera rollin'

There certainly were cameras rolling for MJ's performances that night. Just like there were for every single concert or performance Mike has done since the 1970's. However, due to MJ's contract with I believe, the CBS network in the States, stemming from the 30th Anniversary shows, only a small portion of Dangerous aired on TV. You can find that footage in the 2000 Watts section.

A similar problem occurred during the United We Stand concert in 2001. Due to that contract, no other network etc could show footage of MJ. That's why we have no video of MJ performing Man In The Mirror at UWS '01 and the performance of What More Can I Give really only shows MJ from a distance or behind from a distance! And focuses way too much on other artists.

One of my fave parts from TII :D and that long coat. :wub: :wub:

love the beginging when he messes it up " sorry guys theres no second verse" bit and when it looks like someone says something and hes smiling with orientha (sp) just after. and his its your time to shine comment. just loved that. felt so proud sitting there in the cinema knowing that finally ppl are getting to see what a sweet guy he is

love the beginging when he messes it up " sorry guys theres no second verse" bit and when it looks like someone says something and hes smiling with orientha (sp) just after. and his its your time to shine comment. just loved that. felt so proud sitting there in the cinema knowing that finally ppl are getting to see what a sweet guy he is

Love that too, and when he late late coming in with "Don't tell me you agree with me" hehe it's cute!

yeah its like he had forgotten then remembers to come back in

love the beginging when he messes it up " sorry guys theres no second verse" bit and when it looks like someone says something and hes smiling with orientha (sp) just after

Love that moment, too... I think he's smiling at one of the background singers 'though.

What is most peculiar to me at that point is the fact that the orchestra was actually about to play the bridge and not the second verse (I think). So if that is true why did Michael stop them to instruct them not to play the second verse and play the bridge instead? I mean if they didn't do something wrong? Anyone else notice?

Yeah it seemed like they were going with the bridge. I think MJ was the only one that forgot for a moment haha.

Hey, I've been meaning to ask this. At the end when Orithani and that other guitarist have that "guitar battle" or duet or whatever, does anyone know what song they are playing just before they head up the ramp? It sounds so familiar to me and I know I've heard it from somewhere.

BOW was one of my favorite performances , it was kinda organic , sung live , he did some few of his James brown steps , it was cool , MJ was laid back in that one.

Back