Billboard Decade End Charts Include MJ

Despite all his achievements this year & being the best selling artist of the year, Billboard magazine gave the "artist of the year" title to Taylor Swift. I put them on blast on twitter for this.

To say Taylor Swift had a remarkable year would be a comic understatement.

She sold more albums than any artist not named Michael Jackson

Michael is the best selling artist...yet he is not the artist of the year. What a freaking' joke.

what does catalogue album artist mean?

All the albums older than 18+ months..., but the rule was changed a few week ago, after huge impact of MJs sales and thats why his albums are not included on the list of the official Billboard top 200 ...

Taylor Swift and Kanye West Named Best of the Year
ET has the latest...

Kanye West and Taylor Swift made headlines earlier this year after MTV's Video Music Awards debacle and now the two music superstars are making headlines again.

According to the Associated Press, West and Swift have been named by Billboard as the top female and top male artist, although Swift outranks West by being named top artist of the year with Beyonce and Lady Gaga rounding out the top three.
http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/12/81852/index.html

WHAT?

All the albums older than 18+ months..., but the rule was changed a few week ago, after huge impact of MJs sales and thats why his albums are not included on the list of the official Billboard top 200 ...
so wait... where does Invincible stand?

I have the stats, MJ outsold Taylor Swift in 2009 by far. In terms of album sales, MJ was the biggest artist of 2009 bar none. It's 7 million for MJ vs 4 million for Swift. Not even in the same league.

Despite all his achievements this year & being the best selling artist of the year, Billboard magazine gave the "artist of the year" title to Taylor Swift. I put them on blast on twitter for this.

Michael is the best selling artist...yet he is not the artist of the year. What a freaking' joke.

Billboard is petty and I can't help but think that they have a double standard for Michael. I have a nagging suspicion that if the Beatles had been the biggest selling artist of the year with their remastered albums, Billboard would have gladly given them the title of "Artist of the Year." :wub:

I have the stats, MJ outsold Taylor Swift in 2009 by far. In terms of album sales, MJ was the biggest artist of 2009 bar none. It's 7 million for MJ vs 4 million for Swift. Not even in the same league.

Thats right, but Billboard ignores that, and prefers Taylor and West :doh:

I think, again, somebody tries to underrate Michael as the artist...

Sadly, the 2009 year was about Michael (on every level), but they ignore that.

Updated worldwide sales figures for MJ during 2009 (sales up to Dec 6th);

TH 3,321,206
1's 3,101,621
Ess 2,575,450
TII 2,305,956
KOP 1,717,156
Bad 1,715,122
Dan 1,455,404
OTW 1,423,203
INV 796,874
His 732,455
J5/Jack 1,667,916

Total Since 25/06 = 20,812,363

Jan-June = 600,000 (minimum)

Grand Total = 21,412,363 (minimum)

There are some MJ solo album sales missing from these figures (BOTD, 18 Greatest Hits, Ben, etc.), where I have not been able to gather enough information, but these will only be a small percentage in comparision to the overall total.

A lot of the abve figures will be based on sales in the 'Major' countries (US, UK, Ger, Japan, France, Canada, Netherlands, etc.) with an additional 10% 'average' added for missing countries. This very often underestimates MJ's sales - as he sales well above the 'average' in most foreign territories - so the above figures can be taken as 'minimum' totals.

Calling Kanye West, calling Kanye West; you are needed at the Billboard magazine awards show ASAP!:)

What has Kayne West done this year besides embarrass himself at the MTV Awards?

Back