Biggest surprise on the This Is It setlist

analogue

Proud Member
Out of all the songs that Michael was planning on performing live on This Is It which one surprised you the most? For me it was Dirty Diana

^Yeah I would agree. Definitly Dirty Diana.

However considering the setlist was chosen via fans I would have thought a less traditional setlist would have surfaced. I would kill for Who Is It, Give Into me, Tabloid Junkie, etc.

I do wish that Michael would have changed up his setlists a little. He needed to trust that he had real fans in the audience and not just people who only know Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean

So was Dirty Diana acctualy rehersed....by MJ?

It was good to see the integration of Thriller and Threatened mixed together, and a small bit of Speachless accapella was niice and Don't stop till you get enough was amazing to here although be it a small part, as the last time he sang that live was when the Off The Wall album came out...!!

Last edited:
i loved the threatened.and i wish i could see the dirty diana as well

Definitely Rock with You and Will you be there. :dancin:

2dl5js.jpg

However considering the setlist was chosen via fans I would have thought a less traditional setlist would have surfaced. I would kill for Who Is It, Give Into me, Tabloid Junkie, etc.

Yes I would have to agree that it would have been nice to see Who Is It, Give In To Me, Tabloid Junkie and also Keep The Faith, We've Had Enough, Whatever Happens; I could go on and on as Michael released many great songs.

Michael had fans who appreciated even the most unfamiliar of his releases.

I was really surprised to see DSTYGE on the setlist. I would've loved to see him do a funky live performance of that one on this tour... :D Something better than the short lip-synced OTW medley he did on the HIStory tour. That was nice too but it was kinda, meh... A full live vocal and dancing performance of DSTYGE and Rock With You on the This Is It tour would've been AMAZING! :D

I wish he would've done Give In To Me or Remember The Time :)wild:)... Now THAT would've been just... just... :woohoo:

Dirty Diana for sure....Anytime he performed that was a treat...So dark and dramatic....Would have loved to see him perform it in more recent times...

Who Is It would have been AMAZING!...

i would have loved to seen Michael perform Remember the Time. I don't think he ever did except soul train awards. It must have been hard to make the set list because he has so many great songs to choose from.

I nearly rose from my seat in the theatre watching TII- when I heard Threatened- because that was just plain awesome. I wished they did more than 16 bars, 'cause apparently the band loved that one, too.

Dirty Diana, definitely- and according to some, Dangerous.

Would have definitely seen some more risk taking, as Michael clearly did more than Thriller, Beat It and Billie Jean- I mean, the tickets were already sold- why didn't they do something different in addition?
People would pay big bucks to just see Michael sit on a barstool, so I'm not sure I get that setlist, to be honest. On the other hand, maybe they would have switched things up a bit, as was alluded to in the TII extras.
Sometimes I don't get it.

To me it always seemed as if they said "yeah, let's ask the fans"- and then they took the most mainstream known songs on that list.
Because somehow I hear from every fan how awesome songs like Who Is It, Remember The Time etc would have been- yet none of them seem to have been included? Little odd.

I nearly rose from my seat in the theatre watching TII- when I heard Threatened- because that was just plain awesome. I wished they did more than 16 bars, 'cause apparently the band loved that one, too.

OMG that is exactly how I felt I admit okay, I shouted OMG very loudly when I heard Threatened start,full cinema but I just didn't care I was with my fan friends and they were the same, that is how amazing I thought including Threatened was especially the choreography. I just wanted to jump up and dance with him. That was the biggest surprise for me. Second biggest I would say was the inclusion of Dirty Diana I just really wish that we had the footage of the rehearsal of that, I'm sure I've read before that some fans saw or heard these rehearsals.

Oh and the Speechless vocals, not sure if that was Michael warming his vocals or was supposed to actually be in the concert??

Well, uh....there was basically no surprise for me.
Of course, I was happy to see Threatened, but I wouldn't call it a surprise.
Out of all the songs that Michael was planning on performing live on This Is It which one surprised you the most? For me it was Dirty Diana

Care to elaborate?
I mean, it's one of the mega hits and many of us must have expected it to be performed as it had been previously.

Maybe, it became a nice surprise when you read the description of the rehearsal?? I remember reading that not long after his passing.
I was drooling over the images floating around in my head :blush:
He was def. going for some more somethin somethin.

First, lemme just say, "Great idea for a thread!"

And I totally agree about Dirty Diana! Lawdy what I wouldn't have given to see him do that one again! Got chills up my spine just thinking about it! :swoon:

I thought the same thing, about the set list. And I am with you on "Who Is It" and "Give In To Me" (I'm sweat'n now just thinking about that! lol), and I would have LOVED to see "Come Together", the full version! yesssssss :woohoo:

Well, uh....there was basically no surprise for me.
Of course, I was happy to see Threatened, but I wouldn't call it a surprise.

Care to elaborate?
I mean, it's one of the mega hits and many of us must have expected it to be performed as it had been previously.

Maybe, it became a nice surprise when you read the description of the rehearsal?? I remember reading that not long after his passing.
I was drooling over the images floating around in my head :blush:
He was def. going for some more somethin somethin.

Sure. In my mindset, I see it as, Michael performed Dirty Diana on the Second Leg Of The Bad Tour (amazing performance BTW!) then scrapped it for The Dangerous and HIStory Tour while songs such as WBSS, SC, BJ, and Beat It remained on all three World Tours, albeit with some minor changes.

I saw DD, much like I saw Jam and Scream, songs that were included in the setlist to coincide with that particular album release, and considering Michael never went back to DD and Jam, I was surprised when both ended up being on the set list for This Is It.

Songs that were pretty much guaranteed for This Is It:
Jackson 5 Medley
Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Thriller
Billie Jean
Beat It
Smooth Criminal
Heal The World
Black Or White
Dangerous
Earth Song

Anything after that was anyone's guess

Songs that were pretty much guaranteed for This Is It:
Jackson 5 Medley
Wanna Be Startin Somethin
Thriller
Billie Jean
Beat It
Smooth Criminal
Heal The World
Black Or White
Dangerous
Earth Song

Anything after that was anyone's guess

Exactly, the general public are always going to expect BJ, BI and Thriller and Michael knew he had to please his fans. Me personally, I'd be happy to see Michael Jackson in concert with not a single bar of Billie Jean, but with maybe an acapella rendition of Who Is It, Childhood or a performance,dance much like Dangerous but for Ghosts.

Actually, now that I think about it, Stranger In Moscow was also rehearsed and that was actually a big surprise for me. We didn't see any footage from it but it was rehearsed (at least a couple of times, I suppose). I think he would've performed it instead of Human Nature on a few nights.

I hope we'll eventually get to see the rehearsals for Will You Be There, Dangerous and Stranger In Moscow.

Last edited:
Actually, now that I think about it, Stranger In Moscow was also rehearsed and that was actually a big surprise for me. We didn't see any footage from it but it was rehearsed (at least a couple of times, I suppose). I think he would've performed it instead of Human Nature on a few nights.

I hope we'll eventually get to see the rehearsals for Will You Be There, Dangerous and Stranger In Moscow.

I agree 100% Its extremely odd that WYBT D and SIM were not touched upon whatsoever in the This Is It movie. Kenny could have easily cut out some of the mini Interviews throughout the movie and replace them with these rehearsals and for Dirty Diana as well. I agree, in regards to the amount of songs on the set list, Michael probably would have replaced certain songs with others on certain dates.

I think that the nights Stranger In Moscow was gonna be performed instead of Human Nature i have a feeling that MJ would have lip synced it (Like on the HIStory Tour) to give his voice a break.

^^Yeah, probably. Though I think he might have sang it live on a few dates. He really did take care of his voice and I think he really wanted to sing live as much as he could on this tour. Beat It, TWYMMF, WYBT, BJ, Dirty Diana, SIM, RWY, MITM, YANA, We Are The World... he could've performed most of these live, at last a few times.

If he were to do only 10 shows and have a 4-5 day break between each show, I don't see why he couldn't have performed most of those live. He would've had time to rest his voice and his body and he would've been 'fresh' for each show.

Now, as far as a 50 show tour goes... that's a whole different story. He probably would've lip synced a lot to give his voice a break.

Off topic: Wow, I certainly used a lot of 'would haves' here... I guess that's understandable, especially when you're talking about This Is It. A lot of 'would haves', 'could haves', should haves'... :(

Last edited:
TII is a real tough subject for me, and for everyone else. I still believe that no matter how many shows he'd done, he still wouldn't be here. :( But on topic, SIM would've :)( ) Been amazing, MJ showing he still had it, in the movement department

It was planned to be rehearsed on June 25. :( Kenny Ortega said that if I remember right.

It was planned as a very intriguing performance with girl and Michael tied to bed. They rehearsed it on stage without Michael and were going to rehears with him on June 25. Video was on DVD bonus.
As i remember they rehearsed Dangerous too but without Michael. But the biggest surprise was of course DD :wub:

Back