Biggest album disappointments from your favourite artists

MattyJam

Guests
1. Michael Jackson "Invincible" - I was so excited and it simply didn't live up to any of my expectations. I'm not referring to the lack of promotion, I'm talking about the strength of the material. Apart from YRMW there are no killer up-tempos (which is usually a must on any MJ album). Frustratingly, having heard We've Had Enough, Another Day and Escape, you have to wonder how on earth these songs were rejected in favour of some of the dross which made the final cut.

2. Velvet Revolver "Libertad" - Their debut album was the most promising rock album of the 00's and six years later I still play it on a regular basis. The follow-up was beyond disappointing. Where were the great guitar riffs? Where were Slash's awesome solos?

3. Prince "Musicology" and "3121" - Two albums in a row, tired old sounds, generic production, lazy songwriting. Thankfully his last two album were an improvement, although we've probably seen the best of him.

4. All Alanis Morrisette albums from the 00's - Under Rug Swept was okay (although not a patch on Supposed Former or Jagged Little Pill) but the last two albums have just been plain weak.

I have a feeling that this is gonna get turned into an Invincible thread

Zooropa and Pop from U2 - One of my favorrite bands, all of their other albums rock but these 2 just don't do it for me. not a fan of their 90s sound i guess. Achtung Baby was great though.

Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park - not as good as the first two or Collision Course. Got some good songs like Given Up, Leave out all the rest and What I've Done but overall it's not their best work. Their newest live one from Milton Keyes is a disaster imo but Live from Texas is damn good.

NIN "With Teeth" boring and weak especially after a masterpiece like the fragile
TOOL "10000 days" even Tool were able to repeat themselves and be boring
MJ "invincible" I like che vocals,I dislike the music and lyrics,some songs are really weak for someone like MJ.
TORI AMOS "addicted to sin" I don't understand it much...even the live versions are weak which it never happened before.
U2 "everything post POP" lol sellouts!!
BjORK "volta" glad I was wrong on this one,right now I really like it,but when it came out I was really disappointed...my bad.
same goes for Depeche Mode "Playing the Angel" it's kinda weak compared to the previous material,even live some stuff didn't really live up to their standards
Interpol "Our Love to Admire"
Peter Gabriel "Scratch My Back"but maybe I'll change my mind on this one...

TORI AMOS "addicted to sin" I don't understand it much...even the live versions are weak which it never happened before.

No way. I actually thought "Abnormally Attracted To Sin" was a huge step up from American Doll Posse (which I found to be a bit lacklustre in places).

Strong Black Vine and Lady In Blue are epic.

I thought Queen's News Of The World was a bit of a let down :( the same with Hot Space although The Works made up for the flop that was Hot Space :D

I thought Queen's News Of The World was a bit of a let down :( the same with Hot Space although The Works made up for the flop that was Hot Space :D

LOL Hot Space is my least fav album by Queen,that 80's dance phase they had was a bit off for me.I love The Works as well...News Of The World...half and half some amazing tracks like My Melancholy Blues which is simply amazing especially the piano and Sheer Heart Attack,Get Down Make Love that are the few songs I can't physically stand I always skip them!

No way. I actually thought "Abnormally Attracted To Sin" was a huge step up from American Doll Posse (which I found to be a bit lacklustre in places).

Strong Black Vine and Lady In Blue are epic.

I agree with American Doll Posse and Lady in Blue..but overall I enjoy ADP it a bit more then the last one especially live,but it often happens that I need some time to get into the newest music of artist I like the most probably because I have so much expectations...or I hope so!

why did I call the album Addicted to Sin?!Well I know and it's not even funny at this point...

it often happens that I need some time to get into the newest music of artist I like the most probably because I have so much expectationst...

I'm the same. I hated ADP when it was first released, then just before AATS came out I started warming to it.

Funnily enough, whenever she releases something new I'm always disappointed that it doesn't sound like the album previous.

Stevie Wonder ~ In Square Circle Although it has good songs on it, overall the "aerobics" production style sounds tinny and dated.
Chanté Moore ~ Exposed Her 1st two albums were great, mature R&B. But on this one, she got Jermaine Dupri and other "producers of the month" (beatmakers) to try and get some hit singles.
Veteran singers trying to sound hip and sell to teenagers. ~ I don't need to hear a rapper on a Rod Stewart or B.B. King song, lol. Mr. Biggs? Although a few of the songs are funny, The Isleys didn't need this gimmick, and most of the songs are boring R. Kelly slow jams that all sound alike. Where's the uptempo funk? Why does Charlie Wilson need Justin Timberlake, Jamie Foxx, T-Pain, & Snoop Dogg? Although I like Duran Duran's Red Carpet Massacre, hearing Timbaland's voice on a couple of the songs was distracting, lol. The Rolling Stones & Teddy Riley? Sting & Puffy P. Diddy? Santana's Arista albums? Aretha Franklin & Jermaine Dupri? Mariah Carey & Nicki Minaj? Lionel Richie & Akon? I know it's usually the record companies idea to do these colaborations, but still. I've heard a rumor that the original Commodores (except Milan Williams, who passed away a few years ago) are planning to reunite and do a tour. If they record an album, I hope there are no guests, and they make a funk record like their original style.

Great thread.

Agree on Invincible, although some still great tracks.

Agree on Alanis, nothing after JLP has been any good.

Everything Janet Jackson has done after Velvet Rope. Janet the album was sooo stunning, how she can go from one of the best songs ever like 'if' to claptrap like Call On Me and everything else last decade.

Madonna - Music & Confessions. As usual 2 amazing songs on each (Music/Don't Tell Me & Hung Up/Jump) but the rest virtually unlistenable, especially Music. How fans like these above the stunning American Life I'll never know.

Kaiser Chiefs - Off With Their Heads. 2 good tracks, rest awful. They need shaking up before their next album.

B-52's - Funplex - 18 years after the amazing Good Stuff I waited for this. Shouldn't have.

Killers - Day & Age. Not a bad album, just only one great track - Spaceman. The rest listenable, but from the band that gave us Brightside, Bones & All These Things... I expected more.

I think MJ's Invincable was a disappointment as it should have done a lot better than it did, but we all know why that was...

I think Janets 2008 album discipline is a really good album and was one the best albums of the year, but it wasn't publisized the way it should have been, I never even knew she had an album at the time !! I heard about it online !! :bugeyed :lol:

I can't think of anymore at the momment...

Even Jonas Brothers isn't may favourite band but I gotta admit that I did like their album A Little Bit Longer so it was huge disappointment for me that next album named Lines Vines and Trying Times sucked.

Now I admitted it. Wow... :D

Wow someone on MJJcoummunity actually likes something that's to do with The Jonas Brothers?

Pigs just flew over my window, Satan is ice skating his way to work and i'm pretty sure that i've just become a monkey's uncle

Everything album Janet has done after Damita Jo..especially Discipline..I thought that album was weak for someone like Janet..
Invincible..I thought the first part of the album was great..but it lost steam in the second part..MJ should've came a little harder than what he did, but I still like Invincible..
B'day-Beyonce..I liked Dangerously In Love VERY much, but B'day was a huge disappointment imo..I only liked 2 songs from the album..
Prince-Everything after Diamonds and Pearls..I feel like his music sounds the same and very dated (80-ish sounding beats)..Prince it's time for a change..

For recent albums i bought:

Maxwell - pretty wings was beautiful, but the album itself doesn't have lasting power for me.

Shakira - SHEWOLF was big disappointment for me. I've liked each of her 4 or 5 albums, including the spanish only ones. This album felt like filler.

+/-
Rihanna - LOVED Good girl gone bad...Rated R has grown on me and she might have just needed to get all her anger out. So i'd give it a pass.

Recent stuff I do like:
Sade - her last two albums havn't had a 'hit' that i'll always remember, but the entirety of each album makes me feel good and real

Badu - unlike reviews i've read, I really loved a lot of tracks on New Amerykah Part 1. This album is definitely more like Baduizm. I'm not in love with it like i love Baduizm, but its growing.

Alicia Keys - Not my fave album (Songs in A Minor and As I Am are my favs) of hers but this album is good

Re: Prince. I personally LOVED musicology and 3121 (not as much as musicology). I hadn't really listened to prince in depth until musicology and i loved that album. It made me buy all his old classics. so it might be related to expectations. i agree Planet Earth was not so good...

Agree with you guys on Janet. I loved Velvet Rope so much! Since then her albums havn't felt as real. Overproduced for the most part.

You know, as much as invincible may not have lived up to some people's expectations, on a song by song breakdown, it has so many timeless gems (break of dawn, heaven can wait, YRMW, speechless, butterflies, whatever happens) with most of the other songs being very good too. There was so much buildup and hype for it and if it had been promoted as it should have, i think things would have been different. Mike knew what he was doing by taking his time between albums. I feel like too many artists pop out albums every 2 yrs (or sooner) and its impossible for the quality to be as good. i feel janet does that and each album has like 18 tracks!

How about Jill Scott? Her first album was perfection, but her follow up albums have not been nearly as amazing to me.

i agree Planet Earth was not so good...

I've never understood why fans don't have more love for this album. Personally I much prefer it to Musicology and 3121.

The title track is so haunting and epic - it reminds me a little bit of Earth Song.

And The One U Wanna C is probably the catchiest pop-rock tune he's written since Raspberry Beret.

dont buy much music so can only really agree with the below

Everything Janet Jackson has done after Velvet Rope. Janet the album was sooo stunning, how she can go from one of the best songs ever like 'if' to claptrap like Call On Me and everything else last decade.
and i remember buying the follow up (think it was the follow up) to the boyz II men album which had water runs dry on bended knee etc on it and thatwas poor bar a couple of songs

Don't you mean that she has 3 songs on an album and 15 intros/interludes? :tease:
:lmao:

NIN "With Teeth" boring and weak especially after a masterpiece like the fragile

I second this. :sigh:

4:13 Dream by The Cure - their worst album ever :mello:
Double Up - R. Kelly
Charmbracelet - Mariah Carey

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach ... didn't quite live up to my expectations. It's kinda boring. Got some good songs, but can't compare to Demon Days, the previous one (you should hear it )

Shakira - She Wolf - Fijacion Oral 1 was perfect. Oral Fixation 2 was very good. But this one... Yikes...

I am gonna agree about Invincible too... Hmmm , what else...

might add some if I remember.

For recent albums i bought:

Maxwell - pretty wings was beautiful, but the album itself doesn't have lasting power for me.

+/-
Rihanna - LOVED Good girl gone bad...Rated R has grown on me and she might have just needed to get all her anger out. So i'd give it a pass.

These albums are actually two of my favorite albums of 2009..they were almost perfection imo..I think BLACKsummers'night is great along with the other three albums Maxwell has put out..and I think that Rated R is better than Good Girl Gone Bad..

1. Michael Jackson "HIStory", "BOTDF"
2. Usher "Raymond v. Raymond"
3. Mariah Carey "E=MC2"
3. All Craig David albums except the debut one
4. All Alicia Keys albums except the debut one
5. All 50 Cent albums except the debut one

Should add George Michael's 'Patience' to my list.

'Blandness' would have been more apt.

1. Michael Jackson "HIStory", "BOTDF"
2. Usher "Raymond v. Raymond"
3. Mariah Carey "E=MC2"
3. All Craig David albums except the debut one
4. All Alicia Keys albums except the debut one
5. All 50 Cent albums except the debut one

HISTORY??? BOTDF? OK, I won't comment much,it's all opinions, but History and the new tracks on BOTDF are some of Michael's best work... the lyrics,the arrangements... some serious music,touching on classical music at moments... But it's opinions of course :)

HISTORY??? BOTDF? OK, I won't comment much,it's all opinions, but History and the new tracks on BOTDF are some of Michael's best work... the lyrics,the arrangements... some serious music,touching on classical music at moments... But it's opinions of course :)

Yeah, I don't know how anybody could listen to songs like They Don't Care About Us or History or Morphine or Little Susie and feel disappointed?

These songs are timeless.

if a project from an artist disappoints me, then that artist is no longer my favorite.

Back