BET Awards 2010: Michael Jackson tribute to take place -- 2 days after one-year anniversary

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Eminem, Usher, Alicia Keys and T-Pain have been added to the performance lineup of the BET Awards '10, going down on June 27 in Los Angeles. The hitmakers will join a star-studded bill that includes previously announced performers Kanye West, Drake, T.I., Nicki Minaj, Rick Ross and Ludacris.

A BET rep also confirmed that a Michael Jackson tribute is slated for this year's show, hosted by rapper/actor Queen Latifah. The 2009 event became an impromptu MJ homage after the icon died just days before the awards show aired. Host Jamie Foxx memorably Moonwalked and spoofed Jackson's "Beat It," and stars like Ne-Yo, Ciara and Keri Hilson paid homage to the icon during their performances.

Rolling Stone reported on Thursday (June 17) that BET insiders confirmed viewers can expect a performance of the monster collaboration "All I Do Is Win," featuring DJ Khaled, T-Pain, Ludacris and Rick Ross. The magazine also teased that the "All I Do Is Win" collabo is set to feature a special guest.

Jay-Z leads this year's BET Awards nominations with five nods, including Best Male Hip-Hop Artist and Video of the Year for both "Empire State of Mind" and "Run this Town" off his hit The Blueprint 3. Beyoncé, Alicia Keys and Drake also picked up multiple noms, with Mrs. Carter and the soon-to-be Mrs. Swizz Beatz both vying for the Best Female R&B Artist trophy and Drake competing with Hov for Best Male Hip-Hop Artist. Teen sensation Justin Bieber also received a nod for Best New Artist.

Soul singer John Legend will be honored with the Humanitarian Award for his philanthropic work while the legendary Prince will also be celebrated: The Purple One will receive the ceremony's Lifetime Achievement Award. This year's show, to be broadcast live from the Shrine Auditorium in L.A., will mark the 10th anniversary of the BET Awards.

Last edited:
Re: Jackson Tribute Joins BET Awards Lineup

well I guess we shall see what happens...thank you OP for the thread..:)

On June 27th the 2010 BET Awards will take place in Los Angeles, California. It has just been announced that a tribute to the King of Pop, Michael Jackson will take place at the event -- two days after the one-year anniversary.

According to Rolling Stone magazine Michael Jackson's family will be present to witness the tribute at the BET Awards. Jackson's film This Is It, which documented the performer's rehearsals for the tour that would have been, has received much acclaim and is nominated for a BET Award in the Best Film category.

June 25th marks the day where one year ago the world was shocked by the devastating news that Michael Jackson had died. The news left his family, friends, and his countless fans all over the world reeling, and struggling to comprehend how it could have happened. Many fans are planning to go to Forest Lawn on the 25th to pay their respects to the iconic performer, whom fans continue to mourn.

Given the sadness that is still associated with the loss of Jackson, arguably the greatest entertainer that ever was -- it is nice to know that his life will be celebrated through the fans, and by the BET tribute.
http://www.examiner.com/x-52612-Jac...-take-place--2-days-after-oneyear-anniversary

After last years mess I hope this one turns out really well, I really do. Last year was just embarrasing and to call that a tribute was an insult to Michael. It was everything Michael never stood for.

I hope it will be better then last yrs mess that was mixed with okay tributes and a bunch of shout outs the rest of the night! EWW!

Glad to hear this, but I have to admit I am a bit surprised that they would've even thought to do something in honor of Mike again. It states that Rolling Stone magazine says the family will be there, I wonder who though, 'cause I really DON'T wanna see Joe Jackson's face there! last years antics by him is still fresh in my mind!

Glad to hear this, but I have to admit I am a bit surprised that they would've even thought to do something in honor of Mike again.

Well they probably want to do a more proper honoring I hope.

they should let Chris Brown pay his respect 2 MJ. It was wrong that they banned him from last year's fiasco tribute

A bit unecessary if you ask me. I think BET is just trying to make up for that fiasco last year and also they are trying to get big ratings once again by using MJ's name.

I just hope this tribute will be a lot better and do MJ justice.

Woah...yeah. In the days that were a blur after June 25th I vaguely remember stuff about the BET awards. Dark days indeed.

Very surreal to look back on those days.

I think BET can pull it off. After all they have no excuse thistime. They cannot say it was last minute.

Also, I think Chris should perform. Absolutely 100%.

I also think besides ratings, BET wants to recognize MJ. And it is right that they should. I really hope they do him justice. I really hope it is positive and just not a sad reminder that today's talent cannot stand up to MJ.

Its good BET is trying to rep for MJ but this is a bit redundant especially since last year the whole show was dedicated to Michael. Well I dont really care either way because I wont be watching the show lol.

Back