Beijing Paralympics

Yes we've been chatting about this in the Beijing 2008 thread but I think this amazing event needs a thread of it's own!! :kickass2:

I can't wait for this event to start, I've been watching the athletes come into the stadium :wild: now these guys are heroes!

They don't show the opening ceremony here :( Probably they won't show the games either, at least not near as much as the "major" Olympics..
That sucks, they deserve just as much attention as everyone else!

woooohooooo:clapping:

Hungary has its first gold medal in swimming.

Tamás Sors has won the 100 m butterfly (9. category) with world record!!!:punk:

Congrats to him!:D

I always do such an awesome event.

Medals so far:

RankNPC
medal_icon1.gif
medal_icon2.gif
medal_icon3.gif
Total1USA 4 2 3 9 2GBR 4 1 2 7 3CHN 3 4 6 13 4AUS 3 3 4 10 5RUS 2 1 3 6

Yayy we have at least 1 bronze from wrestling, I'm not sure if we've had more... :clapping:

Wow I'm soooo hooked into this why the heck isn't this covered as well as the Olympics :( I guess cause it's still covered with a little bit of shame or something (told my students off today for calling it the retardalympics

Marianne Buggenhagen always on the positive side of life

Updated:2008-09-09 17:29:15
Img214593586.jpg

Marianne Buggenhagen competes. (Photo credit: Xinhua)
(Beijing, September 9) -- Marianne Buggenhagen of Germany, a 55-year-old veteran Paralympian, won the gold medal with a record breaking throw of 27.80 meters in the Women's Discus Throw-F54-56 final on Tuesday morning, September 9.
It is her ninth Paralympic gold medal at her fifth Paralympic Games and she has gained respect from fellow athletes and spectators alike. ''She is the senior athlete that I really respect. Her style of competition impressed and encouraged me,'' said Wang Ting of China, the silver medalist. Another Chinese athlete Chen Liping declared, "She is so great that I have to respect and admire her."
Sports have been part of her life since childhood. Buggenhagen regards it as a way to travel and grow. However, in 1976 at the age of 23 she began to use a wheelchair after an illness. She is not a person who is easily discouraged. She was actively involved in Paralympic sports by 1977 to keep herself fit and to better deal with her new living situation.
''This gold is very special for me, for it will be my last,’’ said Buggenhagen after collecting her ninth gold medal and 11th medal overall. She also gained a bronze medal on September 8.
People wonder what forces motivate her at an age usually considered as quite old for athletes. Her answer is as simple as "I want to get the best from myself." She knew before she came to Beijing that she had to throw 27 meters to get a medal. Before the competition she felt everything would be good since she said "I love rain and I like to throw in the rain!” She also attributes her winning ways to the patience of her coach and the love and support of her husband and friends.
As one of the most experienced Paralympians, she also gives her support to younger athletes, saying that "Winning a medal is important, but the most important thing is to participate actively and to get the best from oneself."

Photos from the opening ceremony:

Img214590448.jpg

Img214590452.jpg

Img214590454.jpg

Img214590269.jpg

Dressed in white gowns, girls with hearing impairments perform a dance using sign language during the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Paralympic Games at the National Stadium in Beijing on September 6, 2008.

Img214590188.jpg

Img214590241.jpg

Torchbearer Ping Yali (L) is accompanied by a guide dog while relaying the Paralympic flame during the Opening Ceremony of the Beijing Paralympic Games at the National Stadium in Beijing on September 6, 2008.

woooohooooo:clapping:

Hungary has its first gold medal in swimming.

Tamás Sors has won the 100 m butterfly (9. category) with world record!!!:punk:

Congrats to him!:D

He got one bronze medal in 100 m freestyle swimming!!! Wooohooo!!:D

Wow I'm soooo hooked into this why the heck isn't this covered as well as the Olympics :( I guess cause it's still covered with a little bit of shame or something (told my students off today for calling it the retardalympics

Wohoo Finland got gold medal from men's javelin!! :wild: :clapping:
And it came by new world record!! Congrats to Niinimäki :cheers:

I'm pretty pissed off though because there was NOTHING about that in today's newspaper, at least I didn't notice (and that means it's very little if there was something) :angry:

Wohoo Finland got gold medal from men's javelin!! :wild: :clapping:
And it came by new world record!! Congrats to Niinimäki :cheers:

I'm pretty pissed off though because there was NOTHING about that in today's newspaper, at least I didn't notice (and that means it's very little if there was something) :angry:

wow, you are really good at javelin, even in the Paralympics... :)

Another bronze medal from men's wheelchair 200m ! :clapping:

We have now 4 medals :)

We have 1 bronze medal in wheelchair fencing!!! Congrats to Pál Szekeres! :clapping::clapping:

I've heard the main reason they don't show the Paralympics on TV as much or at all is the lack of sponsors but I'm not sure how true that is. Sad. Congrats to all who have won so far though. :)

I don't know anymore how much medals we have but today we won another gold! Second medal for Tähti (don't rememebr he's first name :unsure: ) from men's weelchair 100m! :clapping:

Yesterday we also got a surprise silver medal from men's tandem cycling! (the other was blind)

We got 2 gold, 2 silver & 2 bronze. That's better than in the Olympics where we had only 4!
Wohoo :clapping:

Tomorrow the paralympics will end, right? :(

Back