Behind The Mask.

jrc407

Proud Member
I couldn't find an old thread, so forgive me if this has been asked before.

Did Michael actually record a version of 'Behind The Mask'? Have any (collectors) heard or found it?

Also, during what 'era' was it recorded if it actually was?

Thanks.

Michael actually wrote the lyrics to Behind The Mask. The song was originally just an intsrumental with a couple of lyrics and was created and recorded by a Japanese band called the Yellow Magic Orchestra around 1979. Quincy Jones heard the music and thought Michael would like it and brought the music to him, and Michael wrote the lyrics to the song around 1980. Michael then gave the song to his friend Greg Philinganes who recorded his version in 1981.

Michael is alleged to have recorded Behind The Mask for the Thriller album, and one of the rumors of it not making it to the album is that one of the co-writers of the song Ryuichi Sakamoto didn't approve of Michael's version for some unknown reason. Eric Clapton had a hit song with Behind The Mask in the mid 1980's, and his keyboard player was in the 1980's was Greg Philinganes.

Behind The Mask is the unreleased Michael Jackson song I want to hear the most, because I love the original instrumental by the Yellow Magic Orchestra, and I love Greg Philinganes vesrions. But I know Michael's would be the best version.

Back