Beginners Music Theory...

LindaC781

Proud Member
It's online, in case you want to know more about music and the theory behind music. It talks about the G or treble clef, why it's written that way (and there is a good reason why). It also describes the bass clef and why it's noted that way. It describes time signatures, key signatures and how to decode the key noted on the music. I figured I'd post the link in case anyone is interested in learning something new (I love learning new things....I try to learn one new thing every day).

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnerstheory/Beginners_Music_Theory.htm

Wow! Thanks Linda! Well, it has a lot to read and I read so fast, the subject is very thorough and very complete. Is always good to learn new things especially about something so nice: the music. :)

this stuff should be mandatory in every education system. we focus too much on less creative education than the stuff that matters just as much as statistics or physical education and what have you.

The reason why the G clef is named that is the curly end of it curls around the note "G" on the staff. ...

305px-Treble_clefsvg.png

If you see music and it states it's in 3/4 time, it means that each quarter note gets 1 beat, and each measure is 3 beats long.

The key of C has no sharps or flats. "Do" is the note "C". Do (like in do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do) is the root of the scale.

The key of F has 1 flat - Bb. If a key signature has flats, you take the flat to the furthest right, then read one over to the left - that flat is the major...so for instance, you have a key signature with 3 flats. Bb, Eb and Ab. Go to the furthest flat over, Ab then go back by one. The major is Eb...

300px-Circle_of_fifths_deluxe_4svg.png

This and much more is on that site. I highly recommend it if you want to learn more.

Here is a pic of the C Major Scale. Just place your right thumb on middle C on the piano, and go up from there...

C-major_scale.gif

I will also post about chords and chord progressions. Yeah, our ears are great for composing, but once you know about Chords and Chord progressions (going from one chord to the next one), your music writing will be all the better!! And you can get creative too....while learning this stuff.

Here is my cousin Steve Johns (formerly of the Billy Taylor Trio) talking about time signatures and poly-rhythms...

Impressive Linda...keep the knowledge coming...

When my son was a child...it was suggested that he take Piano Lessons to help with his hand and eye cordination...so to keep him from struggling with it we learned together...

And...
For some of my college electives I took the History of Rock & Roll, Keyboards, and History of Dance/Lecture & Lab...

Most intriguing to say the least..

Learning about music & dance I feel is as important as teaching our children to swim...

:angel:Knowledge IS Growth

About the Bass or C clef:

Flash cards on the Bass (C) Clef:

http://courses.wcupa.edu/frichmon/usetech/musicalflashcards/bcnotes.html

From: http://datadragon.com/education/reading/clefs.shtml

• [SIZE=+2]Clefs[/SIZE]
    • There are 2 basic kinds of clefs. The clef you will see on your music depends on what instrument you play.
      • Treble Clef
        treble3.gif
        Bass Clef
        bass.gif
      You might wonder why there are 2 different clefs. The reason is that most instruments using the bass clef usually have a lower pitch (sound) and regulary play low notes. If they were to use the treble clef the notes would appear so far below the staff it would be hard to read.

Here are the the names of the notes for both clefs. Although you only really need to know 1 or the other, it is good practice to know both.
    [SIZE=+1]The treble clef:
    [/SIZE]
    treblenote.gif

[SIZE=+1]The bass clef:
    [/SIZE]
    bassnote.gif
Please note: As you can see, the C on the Treble is written as it's third equivalent E on the bass cleff....just an FYI. For instance, you wouldn't read the first note as C on the bass clef, you would read it as E.

Back