Beck Covers Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’

qbee

Proud Member
Beck Covers Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’
By Barbara Chai August 5, 2013

OB-YL036_beck_DV_20130805180152.jpg

At Beck Hansen's benefit concert for Celebrate Brooklyn! last night, the singer-songwriter was closing out the set when his guitarist plucked the signature bassline to “Billie Jean.”

The crowd cheered. ”I don’t think you can do that. Can you do that?” Beck asked his guitarist, before turning to the sold-out audience in Prospect Park. “Can we do that?”

Beck had already sampled “Tainted Love” in front of “Modern Guilt,” and now he was leading into “Sissyneck” with Michael Jackson’s hit song.

“If you say so,” he said to a wave of cheers, and he pulled off a goofy version of a Michael Jackson spin. He asked, “How does it go?”

Wearing a fedora and tie-less suit, Beck shimmied and grooved on stage as he played classics from his catalog spanning more than two decades. When he took off his jacket, there was the roar of applause. When he proclaimed, with authority, “I’m gonna play the triangle for you!” and then hit the triangle, the park erupted.

It was a perfect Brooklyn summer night, with stars and fireflies. Beck roused his fans early on with “Devil’s Haircut” and “Loser,” later softened the mood with “Golden Age” and “Lost Cause,” and ended with boisterous performances of “E-Pro” and “Where It’s At.”

It was an electric set (he has been combining electric with acoustic performances on his tour), and besides the guitar and that trusty triangle, Beck played the maracas and harmonica.

When he introduced “Just Noise” and “Heaven’s Ladder,” two songs from his recent compilation of sheet music and artwork called “Song Reader,” Beck said the book could alternate as a doorstop, or a weapon to attack an assailant’s windpipes.

For much of the night, the stage was swathed in blue light with round spotlights flashing red, yellow and green. During the encore, the white spotlights scanned the dense crowd and lit up Prospect Park’s treetops. “We’re gonna do this one loud!” he said.

[video=youtube_share;x8V2flozTYk]http://youtu.be/x8V2flozTYk[/video]

See Set List: Beck, Prospect Park, Brooklyn, Aug. 4

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/08/05/beck-cover-michael-jacksons-billie-jean/

That was fun. And the crowd was loving it singing along. :) I used to like his hit "Loser" ages ago

It's always great to see MJ's music being covered or played again in the future, means everyone will be reminded of his music. Made me especially glad to see others singing along. Haha, shows that no matter how many years go by MJ's music will stay timeless. :D

I thought it's gonna be another Chris Cornell-like performance, glad he did the way it's supposed to be! nice tribute.

I thought it's gonna be another Chris Cornell-like performance, glad he did the way it's supposed to be! nice tribute.

What's wrong with someone putting their own personal spin on it?
Chris Cornells was cool because he interpreted in a different way.

What's wrong with someone putting their own personal spin on it?
Chris Cornells was cool because he interpreted in a different way.

Who said it was wrong? I'm just happy Beck did the original version because most Billie Jean covers I heard lately were like CC's, especially those by rock artists.

Back