Beat It Coreography, Music Video Vs Live

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
So i was watching Vision the other day and Beat It came on and wow, I just noticed that the coreography was better in the music videos (Imo), with the kicks and stuff.. He should have used some of that coreography Live.

The same goes for Bad, what happend to the dance routine live? I love Bad live but idk, i think he could have incorporated some of the routine for the live performances.. :p

Hmm, I never really thought about it for Beat It - I always thought he did the most interesting stuff from the video in the live performance already. For Bad, I do think it would have been amazing to see parts of the video's dance routine live. On the other hand, I also love the rawness of that performance. It just exudes coolness.

The one short film I always wished MJ would have used more elements from in his live performance was Black or White. I love all the different dances he does in that song and think it could have been amazing on stage.

It's interesting that you should bring this up, only the other day I had the exact same thought! I know that whenever I dance (either at home or in public), I tend to use more of the video choreography than the live stuff; especially for songs like Beat It and Smooth Criminal.

Sometimes I mix up the two to add a bit more variety. I think that the live routines are often more energetic and more interesting that the stuff in the videos - take the '88 Grammy performance of TWYMMF: the ending is different to that found in the video and honestly, I prefer it.

Using the above example of Bad - the live performance is much better, as SoCav said: it's more raw and cool and perfectly encapsulates what the song is about. When would you ever see a gang of bad boys dancing around like in the video?

Just my opinion :)

Hmm, I never really thought about it for Beat It - I always thought he did the most interesting stuff from the video in the live performance already. For Bad, I do think it would have been amazing to see parts of the video's dance routine live. On the other hand, I also love the rawness of that performance. It just exudes coolness.

The one short film I always wished MJ would have used more elements from in his live performance was Black or White. I love all the different dances he does in that song and think it could have been amazing on stage.

Yeah, well as far as beat it goes it was just a couple of steps missing in the live performances so maybe it wasent really nessecary:p
Bad is great live, i know what you mean when you say it has that coolness, it exudes alot of '' swagga '' :) Its probably just me being picky but for ex, wouldent it be awesome if he used some of the routine for smooth criminal from moonwalker! You know right after the little boy dance and they do that ''strange '' walk. That would have been great to see live, but nevertheless his live performances are the best :)

Oh yeah i agree with what you said about Black Or White! Dont even get me started on Remember The Time.. Wow, such a travesty that we never got to see him perform the song 100% fully.

It's interesting that you should bring this up, only the other day I had the exact same thought! I know that whenever I dance (either at home or in public), I tend to use more of the video choreography than the live stuff; especially for songs like Beat It and Smooth Criminal.

Sometimes I mix up the two to add a bit more variety. I think that the live routines are often more energetic and more interesting that the stuff in the videos - take the '88 Grammy performance of TWYMMF: the ending is different to that found in the video and honestly, I prefer it.

Using the above example of Bad - the live performance is much better, as SoCav said: it's more raw and cool and perfectly encapsulates what the song is about. When would you ever see a gang of bad boys dancing around like in the video?

Just my opinion :)

Yeah you know when it comes to songs like, Smooth Criminal i tend to prefer the video version over the live version because there is so much goin on in the video, all from the set, to the background dancers and the routine.. You know for every tour that he did you
could see that michael became, more and more theatrical! By the time it came to this is it, it was like watching a movie on stage :p

Ah! How glad i am that you brought that up about TWYMMF! I prefer the Grammy Awards version more than any other! The intro, and the alternate dance routine (88 Smooth Criminal Routine) and alternate ending, that right there is my favourite TWYMMF Performance!

Yeah, The Bad performance is awesome! To me it seems as if he first just improvised on stage, then it became sorta a routine with the flamingo steps, Moonwalk etc etc. :)

I agree with most that Michael's performances for Bad were excellent. They were raw and unpredictable, something that perfectly encapsulated the meaning of the song. That being said, It would have been cool if during the bridge all the back up dancers run onto stage, dressed in their "Bad" attire and then begin dancing to the bridge routine in the video!

Michael's performances for Bad were excellent, as you all have said, even without the video choreography. But, sure, I wish he had put the choreography in the live performances, it would be amazing!
I think the video choreographies sometimes are better than in live performances because when you're recording a music video you don't need to concentrate in your voice too, only in the visual performance... and you can record until the point you think it's perfect. In live concerts you rehearse a lot before the shows but there are many things to think about at the same time, like voice and costumes, for example.
Anyway, Beat It live has an incredible energy in its choreography and in the whole performance, so I think the live performance is better

Back