Band Alice in Chains comments about the passing of Michael Jackson

Mugsysam

Proud Member
This is why Alice in Chains are my favorite band......and I am willing to bet with how nice and respectful these comments from them are-a band so far and away different from Michael's music-some of you may become fans too.

I truly hope that their original lead singer Layne Staley who died in 2002 and Michael have met and are singing together in Peace now-

Here is the article-

(And I will post this in the "Music Makes The World Go Round" section, but I did think it was worth posting here for all to see too)

It's been one week since the death of pop icon Michael Jackson, and Jerry Cantrell, guitarist of Alice in Chains, still can't believe he's gone. Or that Farrah Fawcett's gone, too. But one thing's for sure. Both Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney respect the King of Pop for a myriad of reasons.

"Being a musician, you appreciate what it takes to operate at this level and for you to create things that can strike people in such a huge way," Cantrell tells Noisecreep. "You have to respect the magnitude of that guy's career and his creative output, and to maintain that since you're five-years-old? That's ridiculous. Nobody does that."

Both Cantrell and Kinney spoke last Friday, soon after Jackson passed, "and we were talking about how Farrah and Michael Jackson, two of the hugest icons of our childhood, dead in the same day," Cantrell recalls. "Who didn't bow to Farrah and didn't live in an era where Michael Jackson wasn't everywhere? And look at the guy's musical legacy, which permeated through all cultures."

But did Jackson's music influence Alice? "He had an influence on everybody," Kinney says. "How could you be alive for the last 30 years and not know about Michael Jackson, or heard some of his songs? Even if you're some death metaller guy, don't feel like you can't tell your friends you liked [Jackson's 1979 LP] 'Off The Wall.'"

"(Slipknot vocalist) Corey Taylor has a tattoo of 'Off the Wall' on his back," points out Cantrell, laughing. "So, even Slipknot were fans, I guess."

Kinney says that while Jackson's death is sad, he hopes the situation won't "bring out the worst in people, and I hope they just try to rationalize they're thinking before going negative with it. The guy had a f---ed up life. If I was five-years-old and famous, that would do some damage. Very few people get to his level and remain there. He's one of those guys and it's a shocking thing when someone like that goes. I've got all of his records. I have 'em."

Thanks for this, I'm an Alice in Chains fan to, so it's lovely to know Michael meant something to them too.

lol at Corey's tattoo!!

This is why Alice in Chains are my favorite band......and I am willing to bet with how nice and respectful these comments from them are-a band so far and away different from Michael's music-some of you may become fans too.

I truly hope that their original lead singer Layne Staley who died in 2002 and Michael have met and are singing together in Peace now-

Here is the article-

(And I will post this in the "Music Makes The World Go Round" section, but I did think it was worth posting here for all to see too)

It's been one week since the death of pop icon Michael Jackson, and Jerry Cantrell, guitarist of Alice in Chains, still can't believe he's gone. Or that Farrah Fawcett's gone, too. But one thing's for sure. Both Cantrell and drummer Sean Kinney respect the King of Pop for a myriad of reasons.

"Being a musician, you appreciate what it takes to operate at this level and for you to create things that can strike people in such a huge way," Cantrell tells Noisecreep. "You have to respect the magnitude of that guy's career and his creative output, and to maintain that since you're five-years-old? That's ridiculous. Nobody does that."

Both Cantrell and Kinney spoke last Friday, soon after Jackson passed, "and we were talking about how Farrah and Michael Jackson, two of the hugest icons of our childhood, dead in the same day," Cantrell recalls. "Who didn't bow to Farrah and didn't live in an era where Michael Jackson wasn't everywhere? And look at the guy's musical legacy, which permeated through all cultures."

But did Jackson's music influence Alice? "He had an influence on everybody," Kinney says. "How could you be alive for the last 30 years and not know about Michael Jackson, or heard some of his songs? Even if you're some death metaller guy, don't feel like you can't tell your friends you liked [Jackson's 1979 LP] 'Off The Wall.'"

"(Slipknot vocalist) Corey Taylor has a tattoo of 'Off the Wall' on his back," points out Cantrell, laughing. "So, even Slipknot were fans, I guess."

Kinney says that while Jackson's death is sad, he hopes the situation won't "bring out the worst in people, and I hope they just try to rationalize they're thinking before going negative with it. The guy had a f---ed up life. If I was five-years-old and famous, that would do some damage. Very few people get to his level and remain there. He's one of those guys and it's a shocking thing when someone like that goes. I've got all of his records. I have 'em."

I think its natural that any musician was in some how influenced by Michael Jacksons music, he was a creative force, he was a master, i like Alice in Chains, they have some killer songs. As for Slipknot, well i dont hear them that much, but i will see why the vocalist has such a wonderful tattoo of one of the many MJ masterpieces, its always nice to hear good musicians paying tribute to a true genius, the last genius of these times, but i dont consider farrah fawcet an icon, that means that anyone famous, u know nowadays almost every one can be famous, even if they have very little talent, will eventually convert into an icon, i think that calling her an icon in acting is putting her at the same level as Marlon Brando, sorry but thats laughable, she was a beautiful actress yes, but an icon:scratch:, i think its kinda pathetic, dont mean to be cruel, but Michael Jackson was beyond genius, a true artist u know, but hey its all good:mello::scratch:i guess...

I think its natural that any musician was in some how influenced by Michael Jacksons music, he was a creative force, he was a master, .....but Michael Jackson was beyond genius, a true artist u know, but hey its all good:mello::scratch:i guess...

Yes, thats right, but.... there sre some morons who still believe and dont want to accept that Elvis is hugely overrated and he has never reached any of accomplishments like Michael... - the influence in music is incomparable ... Elvis was just a figure with a beautiful face, thats all.

Alice in Chains is just another piece of evidence!

Back