Bad video. Your opinions?

filmandmusic

Proud Member
I just watched it on youtube. It must have been well over a decade since I last saw it. I have to say I’m not very familiar with the long version, all I saw back in the day was the shorter version which excludes the narrative. Some points I want to single out:

- So the black and white part is Michael having shorter curly hair compared to the colored part of the video. Are those hair extensions or was the video recorded at different times?

- I completely forgot about the a cappella outro. Michael sounds absolutely phenomenal here. This part gave me goosebumps and I’m not even the biggest fan of the raspy voice. This section is not talked about nearly enough!

- The acting is quite decent. It looks natura. I think everyone is improvising, Michael isn’t great at that I guess which is why he doesn’t have a lot of lines but his facial expressions are good. When he bursts and starts yelling he is surprisingly convincing and it is quite eye raising to see him like that but he pulls it off imo

- This is an extension on Beat It but it feels to me that on Beat It Michael was just standing by and got two rival gangs make peace with song and dance. On Bad he is part of he gang and wants to stay part of the gang, it is not because he is educated now that he wants to forget his old (gangster) friends. It is a very weird message to make. I’m probably misinterpreting it.

- Overall the video is too dramatic. It is not very memorable. Michael probably tried to be credible as an actor first and foremost here. I just wonder, where is the fun? It’s a music video not an oscar entry. This is pretty much my least favorite video of the Bad album along with MITM.

I just watched it on youtube. It must have been well over a decade since I last saw it. I have to say I’m not very familiar with the long version, all I saw back in the day was the shorter version which excludes the narrative. Some points I want to single out:

- So the black and white part is Michael having shorter curly hair compared to the colored part of the video. Are those hair extensions or was the video recorded at different times?
Could be extensions or it could be product. Hard to say. If this clip is legit and if it shows Michael's natural hair without product on it then it could get a whole lot longer once it's been treated. Afro hair does have a lot of volume when it's dry and hasn't got product on it.

Never given it much thought, tbh. I just go with the flow when it comes to Michael's physical appearance. :)

4c0c453ae4fc8ed9479f8847f3d589c1.gif

- I completely forgot about the a cappella outro. Michael sounds absolutely phenomenal here. This part gave me goosebumps and I’m not even the biggest fan of the raspy voice. This section is not talked about nearly enough!
I think lots of people love the end part but the convo never really takes off. 🤷🏽‍♀️

- This is an extension on Beat It but it feels to me that on Beat It Michael was just standing by and got two rival gangs make peace with song and dance.
Well, maybe. He knew something was going down that night and he knew it was bad (sorry!). That's why he gets out of bed and goes off into the night. I mean, I assume! :D

On Bad he is part of he gang and wants to stay part of the gang, it is not because he is educated now that he wants to forget his old (gangster) friends. It is a very weird message to make. I’m probably misinterpreting it.
Someone on the board, can't remember who, had a great interpretation of Bad as being imaginary or a sort of dream. It's happening in Michael's mind. I can't remember the details but it was an interesting idea.

- Overall the video is too dramatic. It is not very memorable. Michael probably tried to be credible as an actor first and foremost here. I just wonder, where is the fun? It’s a music video not an oscar entry. This is pretty much my least favorite video of the Bad album along with MITM.
I usually only watch the music video part bc it's so beautiful and so brilliant. I can't get enough of it. I do love Wesley Snipes in it, though. He's brilliant. I think the music video has everything - it's fun, it's beautiful, it's dramatic, it's exciting, definitely memorable, it's wild, it's tense. I don't really need the b&w part.

EDIT - I watch the full version more often than you do, f&m! Definitely not a whole decade since I last watched the whole thing.

Last edited:
Back