Bad News For Joe Jonas

billyworld99

Proud Member
Joe Jonas' solo debut album, Fastlife, enters The Billboard 200 at #15, with sales of just 18K copies. That's a far cry from Jonas Brothers' fastest-selling album, A Little Bit Longer, which blew through 525,000 copies in its first week in June 2008. Simple math tells us that for every 29 fans who bought that album, just one die-hard loyalist sprung for this album.

The tally for Fastlife is about one-quarter of that rung up by Nick Jonas & the Administration's Who I Am, which debuted at #3 in February 2010 with sales of 82K. (The third member of the trio, Kevin Jonas, has yet to release his first post-JoBros album.)

Nobody ever said graduating from teen idol stardom to mainstream pop success was easy.

JoBros reached their peak in 2007 and 2008 with the hits "S.O.S.," "When You Look Me In The Eyes" and "Burnin' Up." In June 2008, the group was featured alongside Demi Lovato in the Disney Channel TV movie Camp Rock. Eight months later, the group starred in a theatrical release, Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience.

In June 2009, the group released Lines, Vines And Trying Times. It sold fewer than half as many copies in its first week (247,000) as A Little Bit Longer had just 10 months earlier. That's how fast teen-idol stardom can start to fade. The very next month, the inevitable happened. Someone came along who was even younger and cuter. Justin Bieber was 15 when he launched a string of hits with "One Time."

Justin Timberlake, who was 17 when *NSYNC first hit the chart in April 1998, is a rare example of a boy band alumni who went on to a successful solo career. Timberlake's first solo album, Justified, debuted at #2 in November 2002, with first-week sales of 439,000.

In a feature on Jonas in last week's Billboard, Julianne Escobedo Shepherd observed, "Transforming a charmed teenhood career into a viable adult one is possibly one of the entertainment industry's most difficult feats. For every Justin Timberlake, there are 10 former boy-band members whose post-group disinterest led them to hang up their hats."

Case in point: JC Chasez, who was also in *NSYNC. Chasez's first solo album, Schizophrenic, debuted and peaked at #17 in March 2004, with first-week sales of 52K.

Two members of New Kids on the Block also experienced modest sales with their solo debut albums, which were released a decade after the group's heyday. Joey McIntyre's Stay The Same debuted and peaked at #49 in March 1999, with first-week sales of 31K. An eponymous album by Jordan Knight debuted and peaked at #29 that June, with first-week sales of 42K.

Even Michael Jackson faced some bumps in the road making the transition from teen idol to mainstream pop star. His first two solo albums, Got To Be There and Ben, were big hits in 1972 (the year he turned 14), but his next two studio albums didn't go far. Music & Me, released in 1973, peaked at #92. Forever, Michael, released in 1975 when he was a no-longer-cute 16, stalled at #101. (Things fell into place for him in 1979 with Off The Wall, which was released just before his 21st birthday.)

It's tough going for yesterday's teen idols, as their young fans move on to other acts and other interests. But opportunities come around again-eventually. The NKOTBSB tour, featuring New Kids on the Block and Backstreet Boys, has been a big hit. (Their NKOTBSB album has sold 113K copies since its release in May.) It's possible that a JoBros reunion tour will also be a hit down the line.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...ending-oct-16-2011-albums-after-teen-stardom/

Even Michael Jackson faced some bumps in the road making the transition from teen idol to mainstream pop star. His first two solo albums, Got To Be There and Ben, were big hits in 1972 (the year he turned 14), but his next two studio albums didn't go far. Music & Me, released in 1973, peaked at #92. Forever, Michael, released in 1975 when he was a no-longer-cute 16, stalled at #101. (Things fell into place for him in 1979 with Off The Wall, which was released just before his 21st birthday.)

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/ch...ending-oct-16-2011-albums-after-teen-stardom/

These Michaels albums are so... so underrated and Michaels great voice, why nobody promotes his early 70s solo albums... and everything stars with Off The Wall.
All MJs albums before OfW need to be re-released with their anniversaries and get a great promo.

I think only hardcore MJ fans know of his 70s albums... Most other casual fans think, that OTW is his first album, which is so not true as we all know it. I agree with the above post that those albums need to be promoted properly because they are real gems.

I think only hardcore MJ fans know of his 70s albums... Most other casual fans think, that OTW is his first album, which is so not true as we all know it. I agree with the above post that those albums need to be promoted properly because they are real gems.

Your forgetting about the fans of Motown music.........and both J5 & Michael's solo music is featured on almost all Motown compilations.

But yes, Michael is most famous for what achieved on his own!!!!

^^ YEP MJ had a very rare and extraordinary solo career, not many child stars could have a achieved great success long after they hit reached puberty

The difference is Michael never stopped......alot of artists would just think cos they'r selling less that no one likes their music anymore but Michael kept goin and changing his music style and changing the music world :D No wonder so many artists look up to him.

Things were a lot different back in the day...artists had time to develop talent and work on their artistry to succeed. Nowadays artists get no say in what they do or if they do it's heavily influenced by record labels etc and if their first single/album isn't an instant success they are dropped. Hence the state of the music industry today...beyond sad.

Back