back in 98 what were you listening to?

mistermaxxx

Proud Member
lets rewind the clock back a decade ago what was on your playlist and what artists, albums or songs were you playing all through 1998??

Matchbox Twenty, Boyz II Men (Evolution), Men In Black Soundtrack & Gotham City by R. Kelly.

I didn't have very much of my own music at the time. I listened to mainly the radio, but those were the select few albums I owned.

Last edited:
michael jackson (duh) :lol:
backstreet boys
elvis
ricky martin lol
boyz II men
diana ross

Mariah Carey
Destiny's Child
Backstreet Boys
Spice Girls
Brandy - Never Say Never,
Monica - The Boy is Mine
*NSYNC - *NSYNC
Janet Jackson - The Velvet Rope
Cleopatra - Comin Atcha
Michael Jackson - BOTDF

and lots of radio

Mariah, Boyz II Men, Korn, Matchbox Twenty, Janet, Live, Chili Peppers, Soundgarden. And of course, Michael all the way. :D I think I was still majorly into the HIStory album. :yes:

Uh, let's see... I was 8 or 9...

MJ, Will Smith, freakin' Spike Girls...

I still like Will Smith, though.

I don't remember years really, but most likely Johnnie Taylor, Jamiroquai, Swing Out Sister, BB King, & Chante' Moore

like i can remember that far back at my age :lol:

However, I know that Michael was playing ... He was ALWAYS playing back then !! The things that I plotted with regard to destroying or hiding his CDs at times :innocent: Now that I think of it that way, the one CD that did come up missing a few times ... :lol: I hid Blood On The Dancefloor a few times :) it was always playing. And the CD-single :doh: it was the same song 5 or 6 times in a row !! Then he would put it on repeat :lol: OIY !!

MJ, Madonna, Janet, Smash Mouth, Britney Spears, N*Sync, Backstreet Boys, Cristina Aguilera, Spice Girls, Whitney Houston, Snoop Dogg, Puff Daddy, Will Smith, Mariah Carey, Ricky Martin, Selena, Terence Trent D'Arby, Prince, the Jackson 5, Elton John, Shania Twain, Eric Clapton, Dolly Parton, George Michael, J.Lo, MC Hammer, TLC, Garth Brooks, Celine Dion & Missy Elliot.

Last edited:
Except for Michael, I didn't have any favourite artists back then. I would listen to some really embarassing stuff.
I liked Shaggy and have a couple of old Maddona tapes..

Last edited:
I cant remember what I was listening to 10 days ago let alone 10 years ago. I guess its safe to guess it was BOTDF.

Mainly rock, pop, brit pop and hardly no R&B as it wasn’t popular in Europe back then.
I watched MTV a lot (it was quite good, actually, lol). My favourite artists were:
Oasis, The Verve, Blur, Radiohead, U2, Metallica:punk:
Jamiroquai!!!
Sturdust – just one song and video I still love: Music Sounds Better With You
All Saints
Morcheeba – Big Calm
Lenny Kravitz
The Offspring - Americana
George Michael
Alanis Morissette
Mariah Carey
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation...
Moloko
German female trio Tic Tac Toe
Run DMC & Jason Nevins – does anyone remember their huge hit It’s Like That? I loved it!
Brandy & Monica – The Boy Is Mine
Madonna - Ray of Light
Celine Dion and the whole Titanic soundtrack
The first Usher’s song I’ve heard – You Make Me Wanna and the only one I really liked…
I also liked Robbie Williams, Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys :D
I couldn’t stand Ricky Martin:no:

Last edited:
Ten years ago, I was 15 in high school and I was totally into the pop/urban radio. I was so naive and I had no clue what I was getting into. LOL. I was either listening to Q102 or Power 99 (those station still exists). Before 1998, however, I was not into music at the time. I had stopped listening to the radio around 1993. I have no clue why. I just stopped. I didn't care about who was releasing what, MJ was not in my radar but I was a fan. I was really into reading and school work around that time. I was very happy that I did that because I would have not have developed any skills regarding my education. LOL. It is true. I am still trying to figure out why I just completely stopped listening to music or following the music scene.
In 1998, these were the people that I listened to -

Michael: To be honest, I did not own BOTDF or History. (I still don't.) I was mostly listening to Dangerous. That was and still is my favorite MJ cd.
Janet
BSB: No comment.
Nsync
Brandy: I LOVE Never Say Never. That was one of the best cds in her career. The song TBIM was my song for that whole year.
Monica
Mya
Jay-Z
Aaliyah: "Are You That Somebody" was just awesome. I never heard anything like that on the radio ever, at that time. It was different and fresh and the video was awesome. Still is to this day.
Dru Hill: When they mattered. They were just amazing. I remember when a good friend of mines had made up a parody for the song "These are the Times" about a science teacher whose breathe stank and was just not very bright. I wish I could remember how that song went. LOL. It was very funny.
Puffy and Mase: These two was IT for me regarding rap/hip-hop. I was just a fan. I couldn't get enough.
Faith Evans: She was on fire. "All Night Long", "Love Like This" she was just killing it with the hits.
Ginuwine: "Same ol G" - enough said. When Timbaland was with him - just awesome.
Missy and Timbo - Just the best.
Usher: WHOOOOO!! This is when I first heard about him and he was just sexy and that song, "You Make Me Wanna"....... whoooooo!! "My Way", "Nice and Slow" - til this day, I cannot listen to that song without remember the uproar he caused. Usher made a fan out of me.

That is honestly all I can remember. 1998 was a great year for me. Things were good, life was good, and I was just having fun. I even have "Teen People" from that time, I was so excited when I got my issue in the mail. I couldn't wait to read it. Man.... those were the days.

I listened to Blood On The Dancefloor a lot, I really loved that album but was disappointed it was so short and I've never liked the remixes.

for 5 years already I had been in MJ world....
I was listening to Michael....
for two years 97 and 98 my favourite album was

Motown
The Best Of Michael Jackson

but I appreciated also other good music
I always do

BACKSTREET BOYS!!!!!
Boys II Men
Mariah Carey
Alanis Morrissette
The Walflowers
only a little bit of Michael Jackson at the time
Spice Girls
Amy Grant
Allison Krauss
Savage Garden (just listened to Cherry Cola today.....brought back some memories!)
Beatles too for some reason. Parents had a lot of their albums at this time in my life.

I would have only been 6 years old at the time... the first artist I got really into was Britney Spears, but I know that wasn't until 1999 or 2000. let me think...well, I do remember that out of the music my parents listened to, I always liked Savage Garden. I still like them, in fact, but maybe that's just because their songs always take me back to that time in my childhood. I also remember liking the Backstreet Boys.

Cleopatra
Rugrats Soundtrack
Whitney Houston
Backstreet Boys
Spice Girls
Will Smith

I was 12 back in 98.
MJ of course, Lenny Kravitz, Savage Garden, George Michael, Queen, Tori Amos, and much more. I listen to oldies mostly. :D

Apart from Michael, I remember listening to Savage Garden, Garbage, the Spice Girls, George Michael, BSB and trying to determine whether Oasis or Blur was the better band lol. There was lots more though.

Back