Baby found dead in one of Oprah's students' bag

billyworld99

Proud Member
Joyce Eng
Feb 18, 2011 03:57 PM ET
by Joyce Eng

A dead baby has been found in the bag of a student at the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in Johannesburg, South Africa, ABC News reports.

The body was found last Wednesday when the 17-year-old girl brought the bag to a local hospital where she was being treated for excessive bleeding, police Lt. Col. Lungelo Dlamini told ABC News in a statement.

Oprah Winfrey settles defamation lawsuit

It is believed that the girl, who has not been identified, gave birth at the school. No charges have been filed against the girl and police are still investigating the case.

Local police Captain Shado Mashobane told South African news site News24 that the girl is still recovering at the hospital.

A rep for Winfrey declined to comment because a minor is involved.

Oprah Winfrey "disappointed" over controversy at South African school

This is the latest scandal to hit Winfrey's academy, which she opened in 2007 for impoverished girls. Shortly after the opening, a school matron, Virginia Tiny Makopo, was charged with sexually molesting several girls. Winfrey apologized to the students and their parents in person, and fired the school's headmistress, Lerato Nomvuyo Mzamane.

Makopo was acquitted of all charges in October, which "profoundly disappointed" Winfrey, she said.

Mzamane later sued Winfrey for defamation and the suit was settled out of court last March.
source ABc News

Last edited:
Well...I don't really know what to say. It's certainly no improvement...we go from molesting kids to having dead babies in school bags. None of that makes for good press, of course.

My question is...how did she give birth at school, all by herself, without anyone finding out? Childbirth isn't exactly known as being a pleasant experience--even grown women under anesthesia find it excruciatingly painful...so one could only imagine that this experience would be significantly magnified in the case of a teenage girl giving birth without any drugs to minimize the pain.

My guess is, someone in that school knows what happened, and must have encouraged her to get rid of the baby (?) I mean...someone must have known--it had to happen at the school. If it happened elsewhere, why would she be dragging a bag with a dead baby around?

It'll be interesting to see what they find. Keep us posted.

do you think oprah should close the school to avoid any more of the girls getting hurt, many speculating about wheter she was rape , i hope not

scandal after scandal with that school. Feel sorry for those girls. They and their parents must a thought they were going somewhere good but all that has happened is tragedy.
I don't like Oprah. That's all I have to say on the matter.

do you think oprah should close the school to avoid any more of the girls getting hurt, many speculating about wheter she was rape , i hope not

That's what I was just going to say...what if she got raped? (Or even worse...what if she got raped at the school!?) :bugeyed
I mean, it is a boarding school, which means, that's where the girls spend most of their time...so, it's not entirely out of the question. Someone must have known she was pregnant, too--it's not exactly difficult to notice a pregnant girl. Then...why did they not notify the necessary authorities? Get her to a hospital and give the kid up for adoption, or abort it [well, it was a bit late for that one.] Still...like I said, someone knew something was up here, for certain, and failed to act accordingly. They're just as responsible, if not more so, for the death of this child than its mother is.

Has anyone heard anything more about this? It's gotten surprisingly little coverage, perhaps because the matter is still very much under investigation.

As much as I dislike Oprah, I can't say that she didn't step into this whole school thing with anything but the best intentions in mind. I think she sincerely did want to help these children, but has gone about it in such a sloppy way that trouble was just bound to brew--and it has, twice, now. No one said it was going to be an easy job--but by god, it's just become too much of a liability for the children's safety, that much is clear. She should hire more personnel to properly run the school, or simply quit the endeavour altogether. I wonder if she really thought things through when she set out to open the school.

I would have preferred to see her OWN network explode in her face, rather than this school--where it would backfire at the expense of a child. =/

It's very sad. I was glad that Oprah took a step to improve children's education in Africa by opening this school. Of course, dreaming about opening a school and actually running the school are actually two different things. Whatever happens next, I hope there will be some big changes to help improve the atmosphere at that school. It's a shame that the intention of providing a better education for these children is tarnished by these incidents. I don't always agree with Oprah on certain issues (MJ), but I definitely don't wish ill-will on her, especially when it comes to the school in Africa.

That's what I was just going to say...what if she got raped? (Or even worse...what if she got raped at the school!?) :bugeyed
I mean, it is a boarding school, which means, that's where the girls spend most of their time...so, it's not entirely out of the question. Someone must have known she was pregnant, too--it's not exactly difficult to notice a pregnant girl. Then...why did they not notify the necessary authorities? Get her to a hospital and give the kid up for adoption, or abort it [well, it was a bit late for that one.] Still...like I said, someone knew something was up here, for certain, and failed to act accordingly. They're just as responsible, if not more so, for the death of this child than its mother is.

Has anyone heard anything more about this? It's gotten surprisingly little coverage, perhaps because the matter is still very much under investigation.

As much as I dislike Oprah, I can't say that she didn't step into this whole school thing with anything but the best intentions in mind. I think she sincerely did want to help these children, but has gone about it in such a sloppy way that trouble was just bound to brew--and it has, twice, now. No one said it was going to be an easy job--but by god, it's just become too much of a liability for the children's safety, that much is clear. She should hire more personnel to properly run the school, or simply quit the endeavour altogether. I wonder if she really thought things through when she set out to open the school.

I would have preferred to see her OWN network explode in her face, rather than this school--where it would backfire at the expense of a child. =/

It's very sad - :(
As much as I dislike OW, I really don't think she manages herself this school, she has to trust in the persons who are in charge - maybe she chose the wrong persons who are not able to make the right things for those girls - Obviously she has to change this but I don't think she must be taken for responsible -

Back