August 5, 2011 - The 49th Anniversary Of Marilyn Monroe’s Death

Ashtanga

Proud Member
Without doubt, it was a big star.... :heart:

August 5, 2011

Remembering Marilyn Monroe

At 4:25 a.m. on August 5th, 1962, Dr. Ralph Greenson frantically called the LAPD. His news was stunning: Marilyn Monroe, the country’s biggest (and most notorious) movie star, was dead at the age of 36. The official cause of death was “probable suicide,” due to high levels of barbiturates in her blood. The country was shocked.
The significance of Monroe’s death is difficult to overstate. When news reached the public, 49 years ago today, “It was like America’s royalty had died, because she was such an icon, even in her day,” says American History Museum curator Dwight Blocker Bowers. “It was as if a bit of the innocence of the era died with her.”
Most were bewildered (and some still refuse to believe) that a celebrity of Monroe’s magnitude could possibly take her own life. But Bowers believes the very factors that made her a star led to her downfall. “The public that made her career also stymied her career, because they wanted her to play a type,” he says. After taking her stage name, dying her hair blond—she grew up as Norma Jean Baker, a brunette—and perfecting her on-screen persona, studios rarely allowed her to break from character. “Monroe’s rise to fame hinged on the development of a persona: that of the ditzy blond,” Bowers says. “And the film that really catapulted her first was Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.”
Late in her career, Monroe became known as difficult to work with, chronically tardy and emotionally unstable. Insomnia led to a wide variety of drug prescriptions, which she began to abuse along with alcohol. Many of the relationships in her personal life deteriorated; her third marriage, to playwright Arthur Miller, ended in divorce. Partway through the filming ofSomething’s Gotta Give, she was fired for missing 23 out of 33 days of filming. Not long after, she took her life by taking an excess of sleeping pills.
Monroe’s ambitions were loftier than many realized, and Bowers believes that this contributed to her demise. Over time, she struggled to break through the “dumb blonde” typecast and be taken seriously. “She spent a great deal of her career aspiring. I don’t know that she reached her expectations,” he says. “And I think that she may have been greatly disappointed by the fact that, although she attended classes and attended scene study at the Actors Studio, she didn’t use much of that training on film.” At the end of the last interview she ever gave, shortly before her death, she declared how she wanted to be remembered. “Please don’t make me a joke. End the interview with what I believe,” she said. “I don’t mind making jokes, but I don’t want to look like one.”
The museum’s own Monroe artifact, a pair of trademark white evening gloves from her personal wardrobe, was given to the American History Museum by an anonymous donor in 2002. Monroe frequently wore opera-length gloves for both on-screen roles and public appearances. Although currently not on display, the gloves have been featured in several exhibitions, including “National Treasures of American Culture,” and may be part of a new exhibit on sports and pop culture opening at the museum when the renovation of the West Wing is completed in 2014.
“They connoted a degree of style to the public, and they were as equally important as the gowns she wore. They completed the outfit,” Bowers says.
“Monroe was often spotted wearing this ladylike accoutrement,” wrote curator David H. Shayt inSmithsonian magazine in 2002. “Suggestive contradiction was the name of the game. Monroe’s gloves, invoking a coquettish nod to modesty, were belied by the plunging neckline.”
Along with the platinum hair, the diamond earrings, and a certain scandalous movie scene, the gloves remain a chief icon of the era of Monroe. They are a potent symbol of the identity that gave rise to both celebrity and tragedy. “The persona of being the vixen was her choice. She was trapped in her own persona, somewhat willingly, somewhat unwillingly,” Bowers says. “She contributed to its creation, and yet she learned to hate it.”
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/aroundthemall/2011/08/remembering-marilyn-monroe/

1962: Marilyn Monroe found dead
Screen icon Marilyn Monroe has been found dead in bed at her Los Angeles home.The 36-year-old actress' body was discovered in the early hours of this morning by two doctors who were called to her Brentwood home by a concerned housekeeper.
The doctors were forced to break into Miss Monroe's bedroom after being unable to open the door. She was found lying naked in her bed with an empty bottle of Nembutal sleeping pills by her side.
The local coroner, who visited the scene later, said the circumstances of Miss Monroe's death indicated a "possible suicide".
From rags to riches
Marilyn Monroe was born Norma Jeane Mortenson on 1 June 1926 in Los Angeles.
Her mother, Gladys Baker, had mental problems which resulted in Norma Jeane spending most of her childhood in foster homes and orphanages.
She wed her neighbour, Jimmy Dougherty in 1942, but the marriage failed in 1946 due to Norma Jeane's new-found fame as a photographic model.
In 1944 while her husband was serving in the South Pacific with the Merchant Marines, Norma Jeane was discovered by photographer David Conover.
By 1946 she had signed her first studio contract with 20th Century Fox and changed her name to Marilyn Monroe.
Since 1947 she has appeared in 30 films, including The Prince and the Showgirl, Bus Stop, The Seven Year Itch, How to Marry a Millionaire and Some Like it Hot, for which she won a Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy.
Her 1954 marriage to baseball star Joe DiMaggio lasted just nine months and on 29 June 1956 the star married playwright Arthur Miller.
But that marriage ended in 1961. Miss Monroe's romantic life has long been the subject of speculation and she has been linked with President Kennedy.
Millions of fans around the world will be deeply shocked by the star's premature and tragic death.

<tbody>
</tbody>

In Context
Marilyn Monroe was buried in the Corridor of Memories at Westwood Memorial Park in Los Angeles.Two months before she died Monroe had been fired by Fox Productions for repeatedly failing to turn up on the set of the film Something Has Got To Give.
The production was never completed even though Monroe was re-hired by the film company on 1 August.
During the months before her death she had been seeing Joe DiMaggio and the pair had agreed to re-marry on 8 August 1962.
For 20 years after her death flowers from DiMaggio were delivered weekly to Monroe's crypt.
There has been much speculation about Marilyn Monroe's death and the causes of it. Many have suggested that it was highly unlikely she committed suicide but perhaps accidentally took an overdose of drugs.
Others have suggested that a third party may have administered the drug.

<tbody>
</tbody>
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/5/newsid_2657000/2657289.stm

Marilyn Monroe and Me

Posted on 08/05/2011 by papundits

By Alan Caruba

On August 5, 1962, Marilyn Monroe was found dead in her Los Angeles home, an empty bottle of sleeping pills by her bed. She had become what she has aspired to be, a movie star. I doubt she ever conceived that she would become a cultural icon, the embodiment of sensuality, glamour, and radiant beauty.
In July a 26-foot statue of MM was unveiled in Pioneer Court, Chicago; the work of sculptor Seward Johnson who called it &#8220;Forever Marilyn.&#8221; Good name because MM is etched into history as surely as President John F. Kennedy to whom she famously sang happy birthday.
In a recent Wall Street Journal column,Peggy Noonan, took note of the present &#8220;American unease&#8221; saying the reasons for it were in some ways &#8220;deeper and more pervasive&#8221; than concerns of the current financial crisis. &#8220;Some are cultural. Here are only two,&#8221; she wrote. &#8220;Pretty much everyone over 50 in America feels on some level like a refugee. That&#8217;s because they were born in one place&#8212;the old America&#8212;and live now in another.&#8221;
More than a 100 million Americans are over 50, a third of the nation&#8217;s population. Noonan said, &#8220;They hear a new culture out of the radio, the TV, the billboard, the movie, the talk show. It is so violent, so sexualized, so politicized, so rough. They miss the old America they were born into, 50 to 70 years ago.&#8221; That would have been the 1930s to the 1960s.
MM&#8217;s death led off the 1960s after a blazing film career from 1950 until her death. Lost amidst much of what has been written about her is the fact that she was a talented actress who could also sing as she demonstrated in now classic films like &#8220;Gentlemen Prefer Blonds&#8221; and in 1959 as I was graduating from the University of Miami she created the unforgettable Sugar Kane Kowalczyk in &#8220;Some Like It Hot&#8221;, starring with Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis.
The Draft ensured I would spend the next two years in the U.S. Army. I was discharged in April 1962. In a very real way, my teen years through high school and into my twenties in college were spent, like millions of young men, dreaming of Marilyn Monroe.
So there are lots of us old men&#8211;and women, too&#8212;who vividly remember the affect her beauty, her sensuality, and a frisson of innocence, had on us. We marvel that men like Joe DiMaggio and the playwright Arthur Miller would marry her, the former for a brief few months and the latter from 1956 to 1961. By all reports, her fame did not bring much happiness with it.
The rest of us, however, had our lives to live far from the glamour of Hollywood. In 1962 a gallon of gas cost 28 cents, a new car on the average cost just over $3,000. We had a young, handsome president who was married to a stunning woman, Jackie Kennedy, who was a star in her own right. The first Wal-Mart would open its doors in Bentonville, Arkansas. John Glenn would become the first American to orbit the Earth in a space capsule and a British singing group, the Beatles would release their first song, a single &#8220;Love Me Do.&#8221;
As Peggy Noonan said, it was a very different time, a very different culture, an America with a very different set of values and one locked in an ideological battle with the Soviet Union that, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, threatened a kind of Armageddon. The one thing Americans wanted more than anything was peace because memories of World War Two and the Korean War were still sharp in our minds.
We wanted to watch The Dick Van Dyke Show and The Beverly Hillbillies. Johnny Carson had taken over as the star of The Tonight Show. The Baby Boomers, born between 1946 and 1964 were coming of age.
As the 1960s came to a close there was a music concert called Woodstock in 1969 and Americans would become aware of &#8220;hippies&#8221; and a drug culture that appalled the parents of young people who were expected to go to college and get a job, not get high, &#8220;tune in and drop out.&#8221;
There are a hundred million of us who think that we were very fortunate to have been born into an era where vulgarity, profanity, and deviancy were not celebrated, not required by political correctness to be accepted as normal.
It was not a perfect time. The Civil Rights movement, a century after the end of the Civil War, finally recognized the American principle of equality with laws to back it up, ending segregation and the ugly Jim Crow era I had witnessed while living in the South.
I was busy being a journalist in the 1960s, a front row observer of the turbulence, a participant in the fear of the Soviet Union. I could not have found Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan on the map, but I knew where to find the Berlin Wall whose construction began in August 1961.
Now a huge statue in Chicago demonstrates she will never die. She has joined the immortals, a fragile foster child who grew up to fulfill her dream of becoming a movie star and became an American icon, dead now 49 years ago.
http://papundits.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/marilyn-monroe-and-me/

Back