April 28 News & Mentionings

mariemarie

Guests
Music industry settles for just $7,000 from suburban family in downloading lawsuit

The music industry has agreed to accept just $7,000 (£4,800) after settling an illegal downloading lawsuit against a suburban family it pursued for four year

In a landmark legal action, five record companies accused Patricia Santangelo, a mother of five from Wappingers Falls in New York state, of illegally downloading and distributing music.

Mrs Santangelo, 46, claimed she couldn't have downloaded anything from the internet because she didn't know how to do it.

She was one of thousands of people sued in an anti-piracy campaign by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) but she refused to settle.

Her accusers eventually dropped the case against her but instead sued two of her children, Michelle and Robert, who were then aged 20 and 16.

They were alleged to have downloaded and distributed more than 1,000 songs, including "MMMBop" by Hanson and "Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

The pair denied wrongdoing but the music industry, which loses many millions of pounds from illegal downloading, said Michelle had admitted piracy in a deposition and that Robert had been implicated by a family friend.

Jordan Glass, Mrs Santangelo's lawyer said on Monday that the industry "didn't expect someone like Patti to fight back. ... She was up against billions of dollars of corporate power".

The $7,000 settlement, which can be paid in instalments, must be first approved by a judge.

A spokesman for the RIAA refused to say how much had been spent fighting the case and stressed that it was "not a question of it being 'worth it' or a 'victory'".
She said the lawsuit had succeeded in showing that breaking the law has consequences and in steering music fans toward legal online services "that fairly compensate musicians and labels".

Roger Goodman leaving ABC News

TV vet to focus on his own production company

On the heels of directing the Oscars, veteran ABC News director Roger Goodman is leaving the news division to focus his efforts on his own production company, beginning May 1.

Goodman will continue to serve as a consultant to ABC News.

On the entertainment side, Goodman most recently directed the 81st Academy Awards telecast in February. At ABC Entertainment, he also has directed the Daytime Emmy Awards, the Primetime Emmy and Oscar countdown shows, "David Blaine: Drowned Alive," "David Blaine: Frozen in Time," "Michael Jackson Talks to Oprah," and the only live broadcast of ABC's "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

TV/TV will not be silenced

Musicians are no strangers to making sacrifices for the sake of art, but when you’re a New York-based band like TV/TV, those sacrifices can translate to slightly extreme risks—like getting the boot from your conveniently located downtown apartment.

Are your biggest musical influences more contemporary bands or artists from decades past?

I think it’s a mix of both. The Killers are the biggest influence on me, but also bands like The Hives, U2, The Police, and The Rolling Stones. I’m definitely influenced by stuff that’s going on right now, even Lady Gaga for example, but mostly my roots are in the classic rock bands. Our bass player is really influenced by indie bands like Radiohead and Spoon, and then our guitar player finds most of his influence from The Beach Boys and The Beatles, to Michael Jackson. So between us we cover so much of the musical spectrum which is great.

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1993 - Michael Jackson received the Caring For Kids Award at the Children's Choice Awards.

2005 - A judge in a civil lawsuit against Michael Jackson denied a request to place a lien on Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch. The suit was filed by F. Marc Schaffel, a former producer and business associate of Jackson. Schaffel claimed that he was owed $3 million in loans and producing fees.

the-best-of-michael-jackson.jpg

I ran across this one today. Didn't see it anywhere yet. I wonder if it's true and the Foxbury Manor deal is now out....?

London, April 26: Michael Jackson has decided against renting a 28-bedroom mansion for his stay in the UK following claims that it is haunted... http://www.newkerala.com/nkfullnews-1-27704.html

LOL, one of my first thoughts was, ah, can't he just dance with them? ;)

Thanks.

MJ was spottet today - that's news too.

I ran across this one today. Didn't see it anywhere yet. I wonder if it's true and the Foxbury Manor deal is now out....?

London, April 26: Michael Jackson has decided against renting a 28-bedroom mansion for his stay in the UK following claims that it is haunted... http://www.newkerala.com/nkfullnews-1-27704.html

LOL, one of my first thoughts was, ah, can't he just dance with them? ;)

the story originates from the news of the world so not exactly credible.time will tell

Oh I noticed today that MSN UK is doing a competition to win 2 tickets to MJ's O2 Concerts, just thought I would give fans a heads up for those who haven't managed to get tickets yet :).

And for the french people you can win a VIP ticket this week end on RTL radio

Jessica Alba Turns 28 with an '80s Bash

By Jennifer Garcia
Originally posted Tuesday April 28, 2009 11:40 AM EDT
Jessica Alba Photo by: Ramey
jessica_alba.jpg
What a way to turn 28!

Jessica Alba brought in a new year Sunday with an '80s theme party, complete with tunes from Michael Jackson, Prince and Madonna, and games of Connect Four and Chinese Checkers.

She and husband Cash Warren welcomed about 50 friends – including Sarah Silverman, NBA star Baron Davis and Rosario Dawson – to their home for the gala.

Everyone was dressed head-to-toe in '80s attire, and Alba sipped Cazadores mojitos with girlfriends while Warren mingled with guests, who dined on fajitas, rice and beans.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20275182,00.html

Back