April 23, 2008: Michael Jackson News and Mentionings

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Ok, guys news is late today but it is as follows:

Thriller of a date

A celebration of the music of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5 – Thriller Live – comes to Sheffield City Hall on May 23 and 24.

It is the first multimedia spectacular specially created to celebrate the career of Michael Jackson.

Thriller Live includes more than two hours of hit songs including I Want You Back, Show You the Way to Go, Can You Feel It, Rock With You, She's Out Of My Life, Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean and Earth Song.
http://www.ripleyandheanornews.co.uk/entertainment/Thriller-of-a-date.4004789.jp

The Great Rock News Report 04.23.08
Posted by Daniel Wilcox on 04.23.2008

Are Metallica really set to collaborate with Amy Lee on their forthcoming album? When can we expect new material from Stone Temple Pilots and AC/DC? Is Michael Jackson going to be working with Fall Out Boy? The answers to these questions and more, inside!

Ok, this one is pretty negative but I'm not finding much to report...

Fall Out Boy pay tribute to Michael Jackson with new video

Boning Ashlee Simpson he may be, but Wentz still can't afford to get MJ involved…

Fall Out Boy will pay homage to the career of Michael Jackson in the video for the new single – a cover of the singer's hit, ‘Beat It'.

Patrick Stump, the band's frontman, said the video had been inspired by all Jackson's videos but made "on a Fall Out Boy budget, so it's not quite as fancy."
The band's cover of the song has become a firm favourite with fans and recently featured on their live DVD ****

Speaking about the concept of the video, bassist Pete Wentz said: "If there were all these places where MJ can make his comeback, I would suggest this video.

"He should really let the world know he's still around. I don't know what our budget is, but I know it does not include enough to get him here.
?"Multiple calls were not returned. I don't think Michael Jackson has a number."
?Fall Out Boy's video for ‘Beat It' is expected to premiere over the coming weeks....
http://www.411mania.com/music/columns/73776

Remaking Michael Jackson

Why waste money on (or steal) those bogus Thriller remixes when you can get better ones legally for free?

By Craig D. Lindsey

Published: April 24, 2008

Earlier this year, the silver-anniversary re-release of Michael Jackson's Thriller — a souped-up, repackaged remembrance of the nine tracks of pop/soul perfection that the tree-climbing, surgical-mask-wearing, yeah-it's-okay-to-sleep-with-kids, nutty sumbitch unleashed on the world so many years ago — hit stores.
Sadly there's one thing keeping the re-release from being just as perfect now as it was then: that goddamn Will.i.am!
The Black Eyed Peas captain remixes three of the album's classic tunes (with Jackson wholly signing off), and by doing so, reminds everyone why Diddy is no longer the leader of the meddlesome, obsequious producer/performer pack.
His reworking of "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)" comes off best, if only because Will has Jackson sing new lyrics that the Moonwalker pulls off with melodious ease. Even after all these crazy years, the boy can still come with the sweet vocals.
But then he and Jackson completely excise Paul McCartney from "The Girl Is Mine," making one wonder if this is Jackson's spiteful payback for all the years Macca made ***** look like the bad guy for buying the rights to the Beatles' song catalogue. At any rate, what shows up here is Jackson singing all the lyrics while Will awkwardly wedges in some manly boasts.
But by far the most egregious offense is the redo of "Beat It," which sets Jackson in a duet with a snarling Fergie. If it weren't for that train wreck of a rendition Charlotte Church did with a sloshed Amy Winehouse on British TV a couple of years ago, we'd all hang our heads in shame over this version.
For what it's worth, Will.i.am isn't the only one who doesn't do the Gloved One any favors with his tricked-out tunes. Jackson is little more than a back-up singer on Akon's remake of "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'." At least Kanye West had the decency to just add more strings and drums to his "Billie Jean" remix and let Jackson sing his own damn song. (You would've thought the ever-egotistical West, who already successfully sampled "P.Y.T." for his "Good Life" single last year, would have had more tricks up his sleeve.)
Okay, so granted, these songs might not all be godawful, but they definitely seem insubstantial next to the originals. They also make the hip-pop remixers behind them seem less like behind-the-board wizards and more like awestruck underlings who didn't want to disrespect the maestro (Akon excepted).
But we're here to tell you: There's a better world of Michael remixes out there.
It seems underground rappers have a better sense of what to do with Michael Jackson tracks. A year ago, Mobb Deep's Havoc poignantly riffed on loyalty with his song "Be There," which sampled Jackson's "Got to Be There" with impressive results.
Houston's very own The ARE also mined early Jacksons material with style. On the Dem Damb Jacksons collection, available for free download on Frank W. Miller Jr.'s Rappers I Know website (www.rappers­iknow.com), the former K-Otix beatman crunches up a number of Jackson Five favorites, while MCs Kay (another Houston homey) and Stones Throw's Oh No (who is, coincidentally, also named Michael Jackson) take turns throwing down some crafty, hard-edged rhymes.
Still, Chicago MC Rhymefest reigns as the king of reimagining the King of Pop. His witty-gritty Man in the Mirror mixtape, also available for free download under "Mixtapes" at Rhymefeststore.com, finds him teaming up with producers such as the omnipresent Mark Ronson (Winehouse, Lily Allen) and Best Kept Secret. This trio raids samples from every point in Jackson's career — Jackson Five, solo, and a few rarities in between. (Remember "You Can't Win," his showstopper from The Wiz?)
Rhymefest gives props to Jackson's legacy (without tarnishing or disrespecting what's left of it, mind you) while also reminding us why we all should still have a place in our hearts for the fedora-­wearing freak. Unlike the bogus bonus remixes on Thriller, these compilations show the monumental impact and inspiration Jackson left on millions of listeners. Think about it: hard-ass rappers showing love for an international pop star. Now that's the sort of perfection even Will.i.am can't f*ck up.
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2008-04-24/music/remaking-michael-jackson/

Mentioning...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/apr/22/nokia.technology?gusrc=rss&feed=technology
Nokia adds the X Factor to new music service
...Sony's roster of artists includes Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, Foo Fighters, the Ting Tings and X Factor winners Leon Jackson, Leona Lewis and Shayne Ward...

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1983 - Michael Jackson's single "Beat It" hit #3 in the U.K.

1992 - FOX-TV premiered Michael Jackson's video for "In The Closet."

2001 - Janet Jackson's album "All For You" was released.

Last edited:
Hi Shannon thanks for posting the news.. I was MIA in.. the MIA this morning...sorry

anyways...

Day 123: What the media don't show about Michael Jackson the business man –

Snoop Dogg to produce for Extreme

By Susan Butler, Billboard

April 22, 2008
Extreme Music is going OG with Snoop Dogg.

The music production unit of Sony/ATV Music Publishing has snagged the rapper-actor to executive produce a multi-CD series of original gangsta music for film, TV and commercial projects.

"When we decided to produce an urban series, we wanted it to be not only major league but also 200% 'G,' with Snoop holding the reins," said Russell Emanuel, co-CEO of Extreme.

The "G Series" music is expected to be in styles similar to Smoking Grooves, Gangster Party and Slow Jams. The first CD should be ready in the fall.

"I'm excited to get in the lab and cook up some heat," Snoop said.

"Sensual Seduction," the first single from Snoop's latest album, "Ego Trippin,' " made the top 10 on Billboard's rap chart. The album debuted at No. 3 on the Billboard 200.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...es/people/e3ifa98dc62a96f594d5f8cae39b26feaa5

Last edited:
http://www.rollingstone.com/

RollingStone Magazine's "50 Coolest Albums"

1. Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
2. Rolling Stones - Aftermath
3. James Brown - Live at the Apollo
4. Chuck Berry - The Great Twenty-Eight
5. Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
6. Blondie - Parallel Lines
7. Aretha Franklin - Spirit in the Dark
8. Massive Attack - Protection
9. Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis
10. The Beatles - Revolver
11. Sly & the Family Stone - Fresh
12. Pavement - Wowee Zowee!
13. Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
14. Prince - 1999
15. Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
16. Bjork - Vespertine
17. Various - Heavyweight Sound: Blood and Fire Sampler
18. Otis Redding - The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul
19. Eric B. & Rakim - Paid in Full
20. Chic - Real People
21. David Bowie - Station to Station
22. Jorge Ben - Africa Brasil
23. Frank Sinatra - Songs for Swingin' Lovers!
24. Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
25. Culture - Two Sevens Clash
26. Brides of Funkenstein - Never Buy Texas from a Cowboy
27. Beck - Odelay
28. The Ronettes - Best of the Ronettes
29. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way
30. Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
31. Michael Jackson - Off the Wall
32. Chemical Brothers - Dig Your Own Hole
33. Howlin' Wolf - Howlin' Wolf
34. White Stripes - De Stijl
35. Various - Super Bad is Back
36. Joan Jett - Bad Reputation
37. Jungle Brothers - Done by the Forces of Nature
38. Alexander Spence - Oar
39. Cheap Trick - Heaven Tonight
40. Bikini Kill - Reject All American
41. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - Anthology
42. Merle Haggard - Songs I'll Always Sing
43. Roxanne Shante - Bad Sister
44. Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
45. Serge Gainsbourg - Comic Strip
46. Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
47. Blue Oyster Cult - Secret Treaties
48. Aphex Twin - Classics
49. The Strokes - Is This It
50. Madonna - You Can Dance

tree-climbing, surgical-mask-wearing, yeah-it's-okay-to-sleep-with-kids, nutty sumbitch

HA! Wow.

Cool articles though! The rest of that article about the other underground rappers was quite informative. I think they are better at remixes Mike's songs...I agree with that part.

Thanks for the news!

tree-climbing, surgical-mask-wearing, yeah-it's-okay-to-sleep-with-kids, nutty sumbitch

HA! Wow.

Cool articles though! The rest of that article about the other underground rappers was quite informative. I think they are better at remixes Mike's songs...I agree with that part.

Thanks for the news!

everything that writer called Michael was something i'm sure the writer did at one time or another in his life, except for the mask, which in his case should be a muzzle. reading between his lines tho, he admits how good the originals are, and how the t25 remixes are good, but can only be called bad, in order to realize how remarkable the originals are. it's common practice to attack what has already been done, and sold and went to number 1, with something 'better'. it's the never satisfied, but always envyfied syndrome.

Nokia adds the X Factor to new music service

This article was first published on guardian.co.uk on Tuesday April 22 2008. It was last updated at 17:03 on April 22 2008.

leo460.jpg

Leona Lewis and other X Factor winners are on the Sony BMG roster. Photograph PA

Mobile phone manufacturer Nokia has signed a crucial deal with Sony BMG to add the music label's artists to its unlimited music service, due to launch later this year.

The arrival of Sony means Nokia has now signed up two of the world's four music majors - Universal Music leapt on board late last year - to a service which is being keenly watched by the mobile phone operators as it may kill demand for their existing mobile music download services.

Sony's roster of artists includes Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, Foo Fighters, the Ting Tings and X Factor winners Leon Jackson, Leona Lewis and Shayne Ward.

The Nokia service - called Comes With Music - will give consumers who buy a special handset the chance to download as much music as they like on their mobile phone and computer during their one-year mobile phone contract.

At the end of their contract, users can keep their downloaded tracks and transfer the music to new devices.

Existing music services which label their product as unlimited only let consumers keep playing their tracks if they continue to pay a weekly or monthly subscription.

Rival MusicStation, which already has a deal with Vodafone for its unlimited subscription-based music service, is planning a service similar to Comes With Music. It has signed up handset maker LG and hopes to have a phone ready by the summer.

Nokia, meanwhile, is confident that it will be able to get EMI and Warner Music on board in time for the launch of Comes With Music.

The Finnish company, which is the world's largest mobile phone manufacturer, has yet to find a mobile phone operator willing to sign up to a service that could destroy consumer appetite for their existing mobile phone music download stores. Many mobile phone networks see Nokia's move into content as a direct threat to their relationship with their own customers.

Nokia is planning to launch at least three new phones that can access the new music service in the second half of this year.
"As one of the leading major music companies in the world, our collaboration with Sony BMG means we can offer a huge range of fantastic music from international and local artists via Comes With Music," said Tero Ojanperä, executive vice president and head of the Nokia Entertainment and Communities business.

Thomas Hesse, Sony BMG's head of global digital business, said "We think this business model will encourage users to sample a wide range of material, expand their musical tastes, and listen to more music than ever before. In the process, we think it will provide new opportunities to artists from every genre of music, and increase demand for music overall."

Last edited:

HA! Wow.

Thanks for the news!

Somehow that didn't sound disrespectful to me. I loved the whole article. It is like the author is flaunting Michael's uniqueness and paying homage at the same time. Like that that people. That is how it is. Gangsta!

HA! Wow.

Yeah...
But overall the article is very positive, simply saying what we all know and have said before: The remixes are crap compared to the originals, I agree with pretty much everything he said. The downside is that it tells people it's not worth paying for it which is complete BS.

Thanks for the News guys!!!!

Last edited:
For that long metaphor this guy used to describe Michael in that one article, I must say that I find it extremely offensive and completely unnecessary. The man could have written that whole thing without calling Michael all of those names and that last word especially is one of the worse things to call somebody. Also, little kids could be reading that article and that word is not appropriate.

Last edited:
LOL, I actually like that review. The remixes have nice beats, I'll say that. :lol: But yeah Rhymefest's MJ tribute mixtape totally outshines T25 easily. ;)

Here is an update on Thriller 25, and why you can't always go by what HITS has on their sales countdown:

HITS screwed up badly, Thriller 25 should have been on there, it sold 14k and came in no.2 on the pop catalog chart and would have been the #40 album if it had been allowed to chart on the main chart, and Discipline which did make their top 50 but came in at no. 58 on the main chart sold 10,735k which was at least 2k lower than what they predicted. Discpline has sold 361,038 copies to date.

Back