April 22, 2008: Michael Jackson News and Mentionings

Momma Shannon

Proud Member
Hello everyone, hope ya'll are doing well :yes:

Lets see what the news has to bring today...

Arts and Culture, Entertainment

Michael Jackson: 'Thrill the World' Pt. 3

From the promoter:
OFF THE WALL, Michael Jackson's first solo album, introduced the world to the shiny suits and bright white socks that would become MJ's first calling cards. But it wasn't until twenty five years ago, with the release of a little album called THRILLER, that Michael Jackson really became 'Michael Jackson.'

Somehow, no other wannabe pop star before Michael Jackson understood how to harness the power of TV. Before Michael, music videos were just cheap promo tapes that showed a band playing a song, and maybe dancing around a little bit. Well, MJ would have none of that. He refused to even make music videos, and instead created what are still referred to as short films. He wove entire stories around his pop songs, and the world was transfixed. Twenty five years later, THRILLER is still the number one video on almost every list, and the cult is only growing.
In the middle of the THRILLER video, something magical happens - Michael and his date are surrounded by zombies, and all of a sudden Michael gets zombified as well. He isn't bitten or attacked but just seems to become undead by the proximity of the other zombies, and before long - he's their leader! Michael Jackson can control these walking corpses! But more than that - he can make them dance. And not just dance, but D-A-N-C-E. And twenty five years later, that THRILLER dance is still burning up the entire globe. Weddings, prisons, and graveyards - thanks to the new popularity of reenacting the Thriller dance on YouTube, we've seen people break into spontaneous synchronized dancing more times in real life than we have in movies like 13 GOING ON 30. On the day of the release of the 25th Anniversay Edition of THRILLER, we're celebrating by launching our newest MJ collaboration - THRILL THE WORLD . We've partnered up with ThrillTheWorld.com to help them break the world record for having the most people all over the globe performing the Thriller dance at the exact same time, and we're giong to see to it that Austin leads the planet in thrilling everyone. Here's the deal - from now through October, we're going to have at least one MICHAEL JACKSON SING-ALONG in every calendar. After each Sing-Along, we're going to take the entire audience over to another club downtown where we will teach and rehearse the Thriller dance. Then in late October, we're going to invite every single MICHAEL JACKSON SING-ALONG attendee from the whole of 2008 to come back out and participate in one MASSIVE zombified dance party.

http://www.austin360.com/event/events2/etc/userEventDisplay.jspd?eventStatus=Approved&eventid=174013

Mentionings:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2008/21/c7785.html
...About Sean Cheesman

...Calgary's Sean Cheesman is an internationally-renowned
dancer/choreographer who has worked with some of the world's top entertainers,
including Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, TLC, Prince, Vanessa Williams,
Carmen Electra, Tina Turner, Whitney Houston, Queen Latifah, Cher and Britney Spears. From his Canadian beginnings as a figure skater and dancer, Cheesman went on to study at Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in New York City. In the years that followed, Cheesman toured with Janet Jackson as a choreographer and dancer. He subsequently choreographed the Diamonds and Pearls tour for Prince as well as tours for Faith Hill and No Angels. As a performer, Cheesman appeared in the film The Bodyguard, starring Whitney Houston. His television works include The Ride Divine, Guys Next Door, MTV, the Soul Train Music Awards and Janet Jackson's performance on Saturday Night Live. Cheesman teaches dance workshops on three continents and has written, directed and choreographed large-scale musicals in Russia and Japan. He is the recipient of numerous awards, including two MTV awards for choreography, and was also nominated for a Bob Fosse choreography award. Cheesman is currently the host and lead judge of the U.K television series Dirty Dancing: Time of Your Life...

http://www.eurweb.com/story/eur42838.cfm

THE MO'KELLY REPORT: 50 Cent, Alicia Keys is Right ... Fool

Subsequently, we can surmise that there is a degree of “consciousness” within the music industry. There is and has always been a conscious choice in terms of the acceptable social collateral damage to African-Americans versus other ethnic groups. If you disagree, might Mo’Kelly refer you to the controversy surrounding the single “Kike” reference in the Michael Jackson song They Don’t Care About Us.

The amount of outrage expressed at the historical misogyny and derogatory depictions of African-Americans has been more than quintuple of that expressed in criticism of Michael Jackson on ONE occasion. Yet and still, ONLY Michael Jackson has been forced to change his lyrics…ever.
EVER.
“Beat me, hate me
You can never break me
Will me, thrill me
You can never kill me
Jew me, Sue me
Everybody do me
Kick me, **** me
Don't you black or white me

All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us
All I wanna say is that
They don't really care about us”
- Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us
Jackson eventually acquiesed and removed the ethnic references from the song. Conversely, “Nigga” is welcome to earn any and every record company ungodly sums of revenue...

It will NEVER happen.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=38&entry_id=25845
Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin

...Long before people had to choose between Michael Jackson and Prince, or John and Paul, or the Beatles and the Stones, or even Fitzgerald or Hemingway (though somewhat later than people had to decide between Duse and Bernhardt, and Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky), people had to decide between Keaton and Chaplin...

http://media.www.mainecampus.com/me...1/Style/A.Drag.Show.Wigging.Out-3338314.shtml
A drag show, wigging out
For pride week, a night of impersonation and songsLisa Haberzettl
Issue date: 4/21/08

Where else but the University of Maine could you see Diana Ross, Cher, John Travolta, Olivia Newton John, Michael Jackson and Tim McGraw in one night?...The second male impersonator, Jay, performed "The Way You Make Me Feel," by Michael Jackson. Jay carried all of the charisma of Jackson, decked out in a black and white suit with one white glove. His dance moves gave the audience something to cheer about...

Today in
Michael Jackson History
1972 - Michael Jackson's cover of Bobby Day's hit "Rockin' Robbin" hit #2 in the U.S.

2001 - Janet Jackson responded to rumors that she was angry over Virgin Records signing Mariah Carey for $23.5 million. Janet said, "That is so untrue, I just found out that somebody made this rumor up in New York. I sent Mariah flowers saying, 'Welcome to the family.' I'm happy for her."

[SIZE=+2]Michael Jackson Quote[/SIZE]

"I've seen lawyers who don't represent me and spokespeople who do not know me speaking for me. These characters always seem to surface with dreadful allegations just as another project, an album, a video is being released".
- Michael Jackson, November 18, 2003 after a search warrant was served at Neverland Ranch.
Ok then will add if I find more :yes:

Just a reminder that the Cover Contest is still going strong and is open to all forms and interpertations. Haven't seen too many hand drawn ones yet...calling all artists and photoshoppers :cool:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49235

Last edited:
Thanks for posting.

Don't forget fans: DWTS will do a Thriller tribute. It comes on ABC at 9pm EST. :)

k**e that !!

i want mo news :chichi:

**my nanna pulled me back in, by my ear, to edit my racial slur :rolleyes: **

Last edited:
k**e that !!

i want mo news :chichi:

**my nanna pulled me back in, by my ear, to edit my racial slur :rolleyes: **

lol I actually removed part of that one article because a paragraph was really too racial for the board :unsure:

MJ mentioning:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/22/tribecafilmfestival.ap/index.html

Where 'Speed Racer' meets 'War'
NEW YORK (AP) -- In 2007, the Tribeca Film Festival underwent a modern-day rite of passage: the backlash.
[...]
The seventh annual festival, which opens Wednesday night with the premiere of the Tina Fey comedy "Baby Mama," has responded to the complaints of last year. To help moviegoers wade through the thicket of largely unfamiliar titles, the number of feature films has been cut from 157 to 120 (even though total submissions increased from 4,550 to 4,835). Screenings have been refocused geographically to a "hub" of downtown Manhattan, and average ticket prices have been brought down from $18 to $15.
[...]
Other events include an outdoor screening of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" complete with a "zombie disco," a discussion of the meaning of Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" 40 years later, and conversations with Sissy Spacek, Lou Reed, Errol Morris, Gloria Estefan and Mario Van Peebles -- all of whom have films at the festival that they either created or are featured in.

lol..of course that austin thriller dance contest is gunna end up at halloween... no surprise there...lol

Back