April 21 - News & Mentionings

mariemarie

Guests

I apoligies for the lack and the late news today. Please post whatever you find interesting here. Thank you =)

Demetrius Byrd Hospitalized After Crash

Outgoing LSU receiver Demetrius Byrd is hospitalized and in intensive care after an auto accident. The Associated Press says his agent David Dunn expects him to be OK while LSU officials say the accident happened Sunday near his Miami home.

He was later included in an ESPN GameDay feature showcasing his favorite Michael Jackson dance moves.

Full article http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/04/20/demetrius-byrd-hospitalized-after-crash/

[SIZE=+2]​
Today in
Michael Jackson History
[/SIZE]

2004 - The Los Angeles Times reported that conspiracy and obstruction of justice charges were being considered against several associates of Michael Jackson. The charges were for allegedly threatening the family of the boy who accused Jackson of molestation.

2004 - In Santa Barbara, CA, Michael Jackson was indicted by a grand jury after they found there was suffidient evidence to bring charges against him for molestation. Jackson was scheduled to be arraigned on April 30 where he was expected to plead not guilty.

Jacksons announce humanitarian award
By Awad Mustafa, Staff Reporter

Janet Jackson and her brother Jermaine of the Jackson 5 will hold the world’s first televised humanitarian award to be launched in Dubai next April, Jermaine announced at a press conference at Downtown Burj Dubai on Tuesday morning.

Making the announcement in the city on Tuesday, the pop stars said the show, Coming Together as One (CTAO), would be honouring celebrities who provide support to needy children around the world.

The four Jacksonarian awards, as they will be called, will be an annual affair and will be beamed on television in a one-hour global special. The awardees will be picked by a special panel that would include the Jackson family.

“We want to honour visionaries like late Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Bob Geldof, Angelina Jolie, Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore,” said Jermaine.

“These are people who not only want to see change but have made it possible for a lot of lives,” said Mohammed Abdul Aziz Sharif, aka Jermaine.

He said funds from the event would be used to support children worldwide through Earth Care International, a global charity. Efforts were on to rope in the London Philharmonic Orchestra to perform along with a local children’s choir at the show, he added.

The concept of CTAO, according to Jackson, is to show the world that it can come together, transcending religious and other barriers as people shared a “oneness in the eyes of Allah”. Jackson converted to Islam in 1989 following a visit to Bahrain, Dubai and Saudi Arabia.

Dwelling on the possibility of a family reunion performance at the award show next year, Jermaine said: “I am hoping that Michael (Jackson) gets tired in London and calls us to do the show together. We are ready to do it any time.”

Jermaine said his family had zeroed in on Dubai for the show as it is “the perfect home for such an event, a place where people would be positive about such a cause.” He said he would be frequenting Dubai more often because of the show and added that, “I would love to buy property here.”

http://www.xpress4me.com/life/uae/localscene/20013034.html

Jermaine...
25.gif

Is that article for real..and most importantly the Jermaine quotes? I don't know where to even begin with all that is wrong in that article..but perhaps I should wait for more authenticity.

i found this i hope it o.k :thinking:
http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/the-real-michael-jackson-twittering_114367.htm

here more news :waving:

here is link:http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...ps-neverland-auction-will-reclaim-2000-items/

Michael Jackson Stops Neverland Auction, Will Reclaim 2,000 Items

Michael Jackson has successfully stopped the April 22nd auction that would have seen nearly 2,000 items from his massive collection of memorabilia become available to the highest bidder. As Rock Daily previously reported, Jackson sued to prevent the auction from taking place, but Julien’s Auctions insisted the Neverland auction would still go on as planned. However, the BBC reports that the items will now all be returned to Jackson and the King of Pop’s lawsuit against the auction house would be dropped.
As we showed in our Neverland on the Block: Inside the Michael Jackson Auction gallery, Jackson’s collection of sequined gloves, jackets, portraits, Skywalker mementos, the gates to Neverland Ranch and much more were slated to go on the block. The items were claimed from Neverland after the singer left his California ranch in 2005 and racked up millions of dollars in debt, including attorney fees and $250,000 each month for Neverland’s upkeep. Jackson was unable to pay back the part-ownership on his estate, and lost all the possessions in it. Essentially, Jackson was being kept afloat financially thanks to his stake in Sony/ATV Music publishing and its Beatles catalog, but even that investment was threatened by the mounting debt.
While nobody has explained why the auction was canceled outside of the lawsuit, it’s possible that the influx of cash that comes with selling out 50 consecutive shows at London’s O2 Arena might have played a role. Plus, the Beatles’ catalog will be both remastered and ready for Rock Band this autumn, so Jackson will likely receive a nice slice of those profits. The items that were set to hit the auction block will remain on public display in Los Angeles until the end of next week, after which point they’ll be returned to Jackson.

here is link:http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...bes_jackson_090419/20090419?hub=Entertainment

Inside Michael Jackson's personal collection
Updated Sun. Apr. 19 2009 7:50 AM ET
Susan Adams, Forbes.com
Late in the day on April 14, representatives for pop icon Michael Jackson reached an agreement with Julien's Auctions in Beverly Hills, Calif., to cancel the planned mega-auction of more than 1,000 items belonging to the 50-year-old superstar.

The four-day sale was to kick off April 22. It included possessions from Jackson's now-vacant Neverland ranch, including a white spandex glove covered in Swarovski crystal sequins that Julien's had projected would fetch as much as $200,000.

here is link:http://www.financialexpress.com/news/rihanna-gets-inspiration-from-pop-king-michael-jackson/449090/

London: It seems that Michael Jackson has a new fan in R&B singer, Rihanna who was spotted wearing a trademark Jackson overcoat.
Rihanna stepped out in a *****-inspired jacket as she hit the shops in Beverly Hills. The 21-year-old star was wearing a military-style braided denim jacket, almost an exact copy of Michael's signature 'look', ‘Daily Mail’ reported.
The "Umbrella" hitmaker who hid behind dark sunglasses, looked happy as she stopped by the store, the newspaper reported.
Rihanna seems to have bounced back into her normal routine, after going into hiding post the assault controversy involving her ex-boyfriend Chris Brown. On the other hand, Brown has reportedly gone into depression after being charged for threatening and assaulting Rihanna. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges

Is that article for real..and most importantly the Jermaine quotes? I don't know where to even begin with all that is wrong in that article..but perhaps I should wait for more authenticity.
Ain't it a shame that nowadays you read stuff and have to wonder whether or not it's true.

And then they throw Janet's name in there, as if she were present in Dubia. And for some reason, I just have a feeling that Janet was nowhere near Dubia, nor does she know about this "award" ceremony.

London: It seems that Michael Jackson has a new fan in R&B singer, Rihanna who was spotted wearing a trademark Jackson overcoat.
Rihanna stepped out in a *****-inspired jacket as she hit the shops in Beverly Hills. The 21-year-old star was wearing a military-style braided denim jacket, almost an exact copy of Michael's signature 'look', ‘Daily Mail’ reported.

It makes me smile that MJ is still getting press, because of the Balmain jackets that have recently been worn by Rihanna and Beyonce.

I was also reading ANOTHER article today, regarding MJ wearing the Balmain tee-shirt. That item has been talked about on a bunch of different fashion blogs and some of them are STILL talking about it today. LOL!

article sounds dodgy. the entire award thing sounds dodgy lol

Last I read JJ was in New York, that was a month ago though. I doubt she's (gonna be) in Dubai again, she's too busy with other projects, I'm sure.

It's really kind of sad that I've come to the point of ignoring just about any announcement Jermaine makes about anything. Just too many previous projects/plans, etc that never came to fruition for a whole host of reasons.

He may mean well by this latest project, as with many others in the past, but ultimately we never heard another thing about most/all of them.

Plus, who knows just how true this report is, were words twisted/embellished by the media source, etc.

It's really kind of sad that I've come to the point of ignoring just about any announcement Jermaine makes about anything. Just too many previous projects/plans, etc that never came to fruition for a whole host of reasons.

He may mean well by this latest project, as with many others in the past, but ultimately we never heard another thing about most/all of them.

Plus, who knows just how true this report is, were words twisted/embellished by the media source, etc.

Yeah, same. That article in particular seems far fetched. You just never know whether it's the media twisting things or what.

Music website MUZU signs Universal deal

LONDON (Reuters) - MUZU.TV, an Irish-based video website which has won plaudits from the music industry for the way it pays artists when their music is played online, has signed a deal with the world's largest label Universal.

MUZU.TV, which has also signed deals with EMI, Sony BMG, the Ministry of Sound and Cooking Vinyl, says it is purpose-built to pay artists through advertising when their music is played.

Users can either watch music videos on the MUZU site, on artist sites or embed them into social networks.

On Tuesday MUZU announced it had signed a video license to show videos in Britain and Ireland for Universal's global artist repertoire, including the likes of Amy Winehouse and U2. Universal is owned by Vivendi.

It also said on Tuesday it was powering video for all Sony Music artists on the popular Bebo social network and it is the official partner on the Michael Jackson site for Britain and Ireland.

MUZU has been welcomed by the music industry which had previously criticized other sites such as YouTube for failing to properly compensate artists. The industry is also keen to develop their digital businesses as physical sales of CDs fall.
(Reporting by Kate Holton; Editing by David Cowell)

© Reuters 2009
http://www2.canada.com/topics/techn....html?id=52f21b81-b082-49b8-9056-b85397234a05

Got to have a photo!

gs_michael_jackson_081025_m.jpg

.....The four Jacksonarian awards, as they will be called, will be an annual affair and will be beamed on television in a one-hour global special. The awardees will be picked by a special panel that would include the Jackson family......

Jacksonarian awards?? :doh: Uh, I don't believe this to be true.

Maybe the Jackson awards show in Dubai is like the Jackson Family Honors show at the MGM in Las Vegas.

this did event happen, MJ didn't perform, he just appeared (dragging Lisa Marie around) and he may have sang a little bit at the end with the whole family.

I remember that Jermaine kept hyping it that MJ may perform, but MJ never had any intention of performing...

Ain't it a shame that nowadays you read stuff and have to wonder whether or not it's true.

And then they throw Janet's name in there, as if she were present in Dubia. And for some reason, I just have a feeling that Janet was nowhere near Dubia, nor does she know about this "award" ceremony.

indeed...what is real?

sayin that Jermaine said that he hopes MJ gets tired in London?

and them saying that Jermaine is dwelling on the family joining Michael...are u sure it's not the media doing the dwelling?

rumours have now been given the weight of news.

Last edited:

Janet Jackson and her brother Jermaine of the Jackson 5 will hold the world’s first televised humanitarian award to be launched in Dubai next April, Jermaine announced at a press conference at Downtown Burj Dubai on Tuesday morning.

Making the announcement in the city on Tuesday, the pop stars said the show, Coming Together as One (CTAO), would be honouring celebrities who provide support to needy children around the world.

The four Jacksonarian awards, as they will be called, will be an annual affair and will be beamed on television in a one-hour global special. The awardees will be picked by a special panel that would include the Jackson family.

“We want to honour visionaries like late Shaikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, Nelson Mandela, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Bob Geldof, Angelina Jolie, Jimmy Carter, and Al Gore,” said Jermaine.

“These are people who not only want to see change but have made it possible for a lot of lives,” said Mohammed Abdul Aziz Sharif, aka Jermaine.

He said funds from the event would be used to support children worldwide through Earth Care International, a global charity. Efforts were on to rope in the London Philharmonic Orchestra to perform along with a local children’s choir at the show, he added.

The concept of CTAO, according to Jackson, is to show the world that it can come together, transcending religious and other barriers as people shared a “oneness in the eyes of Allah”. Jackson converted to Islam in 1989 following a visit to Bahrain, Dubai and Saudi Arabia.

Dwelling on the possibility of a family reunion performance at the award show next year, Jermaine said: “I am hoping that Michael (Jackson) gets tired in London and calls us to do the show together. We are ready to do it any time.”

Jermaine said his family had zeroed in on Dubai for the show as it is “the perfect home for such an event, a place where people would be positive about such a cause.” He said he would be frequenting Dubai more often because of the show and added that, “I would love to buy property here.”

Jermaine...
25.gif

He announced it back in 2007:
http://www.asiansinmedia.org/news/article.php/television/1560

i hope this is o.k :thinking:

here is link:http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/31180/the-greatest-auction-that-never-was/

“The Greatest Auction That Never Was”

WEST HOLLYWOOD—Michael Jackson’s financial moves can be as quick as his dance steps. Once the singer found out this spring that his back was not against a wall of debt, he did a u-turn on a planned memorabilia auction, deciding he needed that famous white glove more than he needed the cash it might have brought.
Jackson being Jackson, his about-face was not without drama. On March 3, seven weeks before some 1,400 of his personal belongings were scheduled to be auctioned at Beverly Hills, Calif.–based Julien’s Auctions, Jackson sued, unsuccessfully, to stop the sale. When that didn’t work, he bought his way out of the deal. Darren Julien, president and chief executive of Julien’s, claims that at one point in the negotiations Jackson threatened his life.
The auction, which was scheduled to take place tomorrow through Saturday, would have included decorative arts, furniture, memorabilia, arcade games, Disneyana, and garden statuary from Jackson’s Neverland Ranch. The suit claimed Julien had stolen the items from Neverland and that the singer didn’t know they were intended for auction.
Julien’s response was the same as anybody’s might have been: “We’re an auction house,” he told ARTINFO. “Why else would we be involved this whole time?”
What might have changed Jackson’s mind about the auction was the rapid sellout of a comeback tour, scheduled for July, which will replenish the King of Pop’s coffers, depleted by, among other things, a 2005 legal battle over child molestation charges. Jackson was acquitted, but faced with fees running into the millions of dollars, he seemed to be casting about for ways to raise funds, and the auction was one route.
The singer and his manager/spokesman, Tohme R. Tohme, had arranged the auction last year, and both had approved the press release announcing the sale and the catalog, Julien said. “We still don’t understand why he filed the lawsuit. They sued us for doing what they hired us to do.”
Julien won the court action but ultimately decided to let Jackson out of the sale — for a price, which he would not disclose — in order to maintain good relations, he says.
“We work with a lot of high-profile clients. Regardless of whether or not the claims had merit, it is in our best interest to work this out,” he added.
So Jackson fans won’t get a chance to own the glove or the gates to Neverland — though they can still see an exhibition of the goods through April 25 at a space adjacent to the Beverly Hills Hilton. After that, Julien will move on to other high-profile clients who actually do want to sell their stuff. As for Jackson & co., “What they do after that time is on their own,” he said. “We won’t be involved.”
Julien, who called the aborted Jackson sale “the greatest auction that never was,” estimates it would have raked in $10 million from collectors who gobble up entertainment memorabilia for investment or adoration. He insists, however, that the auction house did not take a big hit from the cancellation because it got the publicity and prestige of putting together the catalog and exhibition. “The only ones who lose out are those who wanted to bid on the items,” Julien said, adding that there had been much interest from Jackson fans, major museums, and investors looking to diversify their portfolios.
“Michael had expensive taste, so a lot of these items are pieces that are one-of-a-kind,” Julien said. “Even if you take Jackson out of the equation, these are still highly collectible and sought-after items that have significant value because of what they are.”
Usually collectibles associated with celebrities don’t gain much in value until the person dies. “Jackson’s one of the few celebrities who get to be alive to see their iconic status and collectibility,” Julien said. He ranked only Elvis Presley and Marilyn Monroe as equally famous.
Auctions of entertainment memorabilia can rake in the big bucks. Christie’s claims to hold the world auction record for personal property for the sale of the dress Marilyn Monroe wore when she sang “Happy Birthday” to President John F. Kennedy at Madison Square Garden in New York in 1962. The price tag: $1,267,500. The auction, which was dedicated to Monroe’s personal property and took place in 1999, garnered more than $13 million.
And the value of these items keeps rising. Julien said that two pairs of Monroe’s shoes, which a collector bought from Christie’s for $3,000 in 1999, sold for around $15,000 per pair several years later.
In such auctions, the most iconic items tend to be the most popular. For Jackson, potential bidders showed the most interest in the crystal white glove and the gates to Neverland. Although the glove carried a presale estimate of $10–15,000, Julien says there was interest at more than $400,000. “You always underestimate because you want to generate excitement and you want bidders from all over the world,” Julien explained. “It only takes two people around the world who want the same item to drive the price to record levels.”

i'm sorry if somebody alright post it or not :thinking: :)

here is link:http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/showbiz/2009-04/20/content_7695716.htm

Leona Lewis would "love" to perform alongside Michael Jackson.
The 'Bleeding Love' singer has fuelled reports she will join the pop superstar on stage during his London residency this summer by revealing she is a huge fan.
When asked about the rumours, Leona said with a smile: "I don't know, I'd love to perform with Michael Jackson. So we'll see."
Last month, it was claimed Michael wants Leona to perform his sister Janet's part from their 1995 duet 'Scream' for his 'This It It' shows at London's O2 arena.
A source said: "Michael has a list of singers he feels could do Janet justice - and Leona is top. He hasn't approached her yet but he's a big fan of everything she has achieved.
"She's massive all around the world and he feels this duet would give both their careers an even bigger boost."
Meanwhile, Leona has spoken out about her relationship with Simon Cowell, who was her mentor when she won UK reality TV show 'The X Factor' in 2006.
The 24-year-old star still regularly speaks to the music mogul, but admits he can be difficult to work with.
She said: "I still talk to Simon lots, I am signed to his label and he's still very much involved in the things I do. He's honest, very brutal."

here is link:http://www.vibe.com/news/online_exc...l_jackson_thriller_slips_still_makes_history/

VIBE 365: 1984, Michael Jackson’s "Thriller" Slips, Still Makes History

Remembering yesterday, one day at a time
For an artist whose previous album, Off The Wall (Epic, 1979), sold 7 million copies, it might have seemed like reason enough to panic. But Michael Jackson wasn’t losing any sleep when, on April 21, 1984, his sophomore disc, Thriller (Epic), dropped from No. 1 to No. 3 on The Billboard 200. By that time Thriller had already dominated the pop charts for the better part of a year, holding the No. 1 spot for a remarkable 37 weeks, and setting a record for the longest run at the top that remains unbroken to this day.
Originally released in 1982, MJ’s Quincy Jones–produced masterpiece featured seven top 10 hits, three of which zoomed to the top spot (“Billie Jean,” “Beat It,” and the title track). By now the Thriller legend has become peerless. Along with selling more than a record 50 million copies worldwide, Jackson’s landmark release single-handedly saved a struggling music industry from what then seemed like economic meltdown (if they only knew how good they had it!). Thriller also led the way toward integrating MTV’s mostly white playlist; revolutionized the music video—dancing zombies!—changed the way albums would be produced and marketed, and influenced countless performers from Usher to Justin Timberlake to Chris Brown. Thriller didn’t just live up to the hype, it took hype to a whole new level.

indeed...what is real?

sayin that Jermaine said that he hopes MJ gets tired in London?

and them saying that Jermaine is dwelling on the family joining Michael...are u sure it's not the media doing the dwelling?

rumours have now been given the weight of news.

The media always writes sh*t. :lol:

As much as I know that article has to be crap, I'm gonna bite......

Jermaine's hoping Michael gets tired in London? well if Michael does'nt work his ass off to get paid, how can he continue to support Jermaine?......this boy better get a life!

Jermaine...
25.gif

:angel:Way to go...Love It...I hope its true..!~

If Jermaine would just stop talking, we wouldn't see all these crazy articles quoting stupid things from him.

lol..i just heard 'Let's get Serious' as bumper music on a sports station. twice. i think he just got paid.

Yeah. Even sadder, the hits Jermaine had, he didn't write none of them. That's why he gets paid lesser than his other brothers and sister. And the stuff he did write for himself and for others hardly became hits (Switch's at least hit the R&B charts but even that was modest success).

Back