April 10 - 12 Weekend News Byte

mariemarie

Guests
There's not so much written about Michael Jackson yet, but I'm creating this thread anyways. Found anything worth sharing? Post it here! Have a lovely weekend :)

Posted yesterday, but from another "source"...

Jackson rents stately home ahead of comeback tour

Pop superstar MICHAEL JACKSON has reportedly laid down a $1.45 million (£1 million) deposit on a 28-bedroom stately home in England to
accommodate him during his upcoming eight-month stay in the country.

The Thriller hitmaker is set to begin a massive 50-date residency at London's O2 Arena this summer (Jul09) and he is said to have sent a team over to Britain from Los Angeles to find him somewhere suitable to stay during the tour.

And the star has settled on luxurious £21 million (£15 million) residence Foxbury Manor in south east London which boasts nearly 30 bedrooms, an underground cinema, swimming pool and a private lake and wood, according to Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

A source tells the publication, "The manor is just a private home, it's not normally available to rent. But Michael Jackson's aides spotted it and realised how suitable it was and approached the owner. The place is huge and really close to the O2 Arena - it's perfect."

And the singer is reportedly hiring an interior decorator to make sure the property is to his taste when he moves in.
The insider adds, "He's asked for brightly coloured wallpaper. And he's picking out artwork, statues and ornaments that he likes and bringing them in specially."

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.ns...s stately home ahead of comeback tour_1100263

"In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” Michael Jackson.

Nothing going on in Michael Jackson history today.
He had a day off!

Z3128D~Lazy-Day-Posters.jpg

Nothing going on in Michael Jackson history today.
He had a day off!
In 1988 he performed in Houston and in 1998 he won a lawsuit against V. Guitierrez. :cheeky:

Michael Jackson Mentionings:

http://www.whotv.com/about/station/newsteam/who-meteorologist-jeriann-ritter-033109,0,2297413.story

13 fascinating facts about Jeriann Ritter:

• My alarm goes off between 1:30AM-2:00AM each morning. I am not a coffee drinker... just naturally wired. I grew up in a town of less than 500 people. My first job was walking beans and picking sweet corn.
  • The first concert I attended was to see Michael Jackson.
  • Cillian Murphy, David Fox, and a mummy. From Kevin Drew's The Water.
    You waited and you waited and waited and finally the day has arrived: Kevin Drew's directial debut—featuring Feist and Cillian Murphy—has dropped on Pitchfork and IFC. Wait, what?
    Apparently Drew's short film was shot over two days in Toronto last winter. Based around, titled after, and featuring Feist's song "The Water" (from her 2007 record The Reminder), it's kind of a glorified music video. Not unlike (but completely and totally unlike) Michael Jackson's "Thriller." Problem is, while the song itself is real pretty-like and all, it's certainly no king banana song like "Thriller" which totally warrants a fifteen minute zombie-filled indulgence.

http://top40-charts.com/news/Jazz/L...rill-in-Hollywood-On-April-16-2009/47576.html

Motown will be a special emphasis for this show where Ware will revisit songs he composed for some of the company's icons. There's Michael Jackson who as a child recorded Leon's "I Wanna Be Where You Are." And then there is Marvin Gaye, who would have been 70 this year. To honor his memory, Ware will include selections from the sensual boudoir masterwork he composed for Mr. Gaye, the I Want You album, including the smash hit "After the Dance."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/04/10/entertainment/e033805D14.DTL

Muralist Kent Twitchell shows L.A.'s many sides

No, Kent Twitchell says, he never set out to be the muralist who helped define Los Angeles' quirky, eclectic edge by putting its larger-than-life pop stars, its movie heroes and its just plain hardworking folks on the sides of buildings and freeways everywhere.
    He simply showed up one day, fresh out of the Air Force in 1966, and started painting on everything he saw.
    Before he knew it, there was a portrait of Steve McQueen covering an entire side of a two-story home near downtown. Then a few years later pop artist Ed Ruscha emerged, six stories tall and gazing intently across the downtown skyline from the side of the federal Job Corps Center.
    Nearby, a couple were celebrating their wedding on the side of an old factory building. On the other side of town, on a towering wall overlooking a cemetery, another couple's wedding was being blessed by a rabbi. Meanwhile, members of the Los Angeles Philharmonic orchestra, instruments in hand, were spread out across the top of an eight-story parking structure overlooking a freeway.
    "The hippie days were just beginning and everybody was just sort of expressing themselves in visual ways," Twitchell, a modest, unassuming man of 66, said recently as he paused from overseeing installation of some of his works for a larger-than-life exhibition at a downtown gallery. "A lot of people were painting on clothes and vans and window shades and I was just one of them."
    Although he may have been "one of many" in a city where anyone with a can of paint can fancy himself a street artist, there was something different about Twitchell's works from the beginning. Highly detailed and vivid in color, they more closely resembled those of the great Renaissance painters he admired.
    "Both the scale and the detail are what sets his work apart," says Peter Frank, editor of the arts publication THE Magazine Los Angeles and curator of the Twitchell retrospective at Los Angeles' Look Gallery.
    "What happens is when you see one on a wall, at first you see it from a distance and it's almost like seeing a figure on TV," says Frank. "But as you get closer, the scale changes. Not the person but the scale. These are real people and he keeps them real despite the fact that they have assumed monumental size."
    The exhibition, "The King of Pop Meets the King of Cool: Exploring the Lost Works of Kent Twitchell," opened Thursday and continues through April 24. Its centerpieces are a gigantic, never-before-seen painting of Michael Jackson and a new version of the two-story portrait of McQueen.
    "That's the first one that I did that I actually signed," he says of the McQueen work that he completed in 1971. (As with all of his paintings, he got the owner's permission before redecorating his building.)
    He had been doing the kind of psychedelic paintings that were popular at the time, Twitchell says, when he decided to return to his roots. In the Air Force he had been an illustrator, and as a child he had always drawn people.
    "As soon as I had his head done on that house, I knew I was home again," he said.
    The Jackson mural, eight stories high, was to have been placed on a Hollywood theater as part of an urban renewal project. But about the time it was completed, the pop star became the target of a child molestation investigation and it was placed in storage.
    Also on display are two other murals, as well as several smaller pieces.
    Like all street muralists, Twitchell has fought his share of battles to keep his art before the masses.
    He redid the McQueen mural for the show, his original having been painted over by mistake years ago. His Ruscha work was erased deliberately in 2006, in violation of state and federal laws, and Twitchell sued and won a $1.1 million settlement.
    One of his best-known works, of Los Angeles marathon runners passing Dodger Stadium, has become so tagged by graffiti that it is almost unrecognizable, a fate common to many L.A. murals.
    But seemingly driven to create, the small, slightly built, white-haired artist keeps cranking out new works, cleaning up the old ones when he can and then moving on to the next project.
    Over the years he's developed a technique in which he sketches out his works, then paints them in sections on what he calls parachute paper, a thin but durable substance. From there he applies them directly to a wall, a method that allowed him to mount a three-story portrait of basketball great Julius Erving, decked out in a chic, double-breasted suit, on a wall in Philadelphia in just one day.
    It also allows him to cover his murals with protective coating and to remove them from a wall if necessary, as he did with the "Freeway Lady." The giant portrait of a wise-looking, white-haired woman greeted travelers along the Hollywood Freeway for years until it became scarred by graffiti. Twitchell removed it, and after the show he plans to install it on the wall of a Los Angeles art gallery.
    He also keeps busy scouting new locations.
    "My dream is to go around to all the major cities and do a mural two or three stories high of the great historic figures of that city," he says.
    "Couldn't you see a mural of Mark Twain in St. Louis? We could do it in two months and then, bang, it's off to the next city."
    ___
    On the Web:
    www.kenttwitchell.com

http://www.sindhtoday.net/world/85309.htm

Jackson fan Mika plans to bid for his iconic diamante gloves

London, April 10 (ANI): British singer-songwriter Mika is such a fan of Michael Jackson that he is planning to bid for some of the items during the Neverland auction.
    He has revealed that he would like to buy Jackson’s iconic diamante gloves and his Zoltar The Fortune Teller fairground machine.
    These are said to be among the most prized items in the auction, reports the Sun.
    The auction begins on April 22.
    Mika is presently in the U.S. working on the follow-up to multimillion-selling debut album Life In Cartoon Motion. (ANI)

With the website being down I didn't have a chance to update the news thread for today, so I shall go ahead and do that now.

Michael Jackson Mentionings for April 11, 2009:

X Factor bosses don't know if Dannii will return

The X Factor producers have revealed that they do not know whether Dannii Minogue will be returning to the next series of the hit show.
Series producer Mark Sidaway told Digital Spy that he was unable to clarify the line-up of the judging panel for this year's show and he could not confirm or deny reports that they were seeking a new judge to replace the Aussie.
He said: "We are unable to confirm at the moment but we're confident that whatever the shape of the judging panel, the show will be as successful as it's always been.
Talkback Thames executive producer Andrew Llinares also said that they could not confirm the recent claims that Michael Jackson would perform on the show.
He said: "There are so many rumours, we are not at that stage yet but we will let you know when we know."
Mr Sidaway added: "But as always there will be some big surprises, so stay tuned."

http://www.observer.org.sz/index.php?news=3344

The two men meet with her and quarrel over her. A fight erupts and they fight over her. One of the men is killed and the other one wins Mantombi and marries her. Oh what a show it is. The production is an excellent work of art. Action packed from the beginning to the end. The actors and actresses are so energetic you could think they are machines programmed to dance the night away.
The drummers and the marimba percussionist were well connected you could think the music is from a CD. The choreographer had used modern steps from the famous break-dance moves by Michael Jackson. The mixture of the African instruments and the modern dancing were so choreographed that one could mistake them for a Jackson 5 remix.

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1522093,041109pugh.article

His infectious smile is ever-present in a slide show his family has made of his life, which begins with Pugh as a baby, progresses through his teenage life as a Michael Jackson impersonator performing at night clubs, his early 20s as a criminal justice major at Mississippi Valley State College, his late 20s as a correctional officer in Santa Fe, N.M., and the last 10 years of his life in the hospital.
"Eric loved his brothers, and he loved life," McCullough said.
"Even when he was quadriplegic, he never stopped smiling. Can you imagine, what it takes, to spend a decade paralyzed in a wheelchair and not be bitter?
"He used to love to dance, and he could do all of Michael Jackson's moves - I remember once he had every kid on the block out in the street doing the dance from 'Thriller.' "
McCullough said she has "no doubt" that his death was murder.
But she said, "I'm blessed that I got 10 more years with him."
A visitation for Pugh will be from 11 a.m. to noon Friday, with a funeral at noon at Trinity United Church, 400 W. 95th Street, Chicago.
Donations to a memorial fund to pay for Pugh to be buried next to his brothers can be made to the Eric Pugh-Lightfoot Benefit Fund and mailed to P.O. Box 25118 Tampa, Fla. 33622-5118.
Kim Janssen can be reached at kjanssen@southtownstar.com or (708) 633-5998.

Michael Jackson HIStory for April 11, 2009:

var myString = location.pathname; var mySplitResult = myString.split("/"); for(i = 0; i < mySplitResult.length; i++){// document.write("
Element " + i + " = " + mySplitResult); } var path = mySplitResult[1]; switch (path){ case "lifestyles": var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B8c5BY3VnVOsE83sAw6ZgCA"; break; case "entertainment": var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B8ZLabMIfxhb68JkhbVws7r"; break; case "sports": var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B9HvO4KPGKif3ZGTxVpLBlx"; break; case "business": var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B7kiqW2ilikr6wLd07QH8EE"; break; default: var BLOGBURST_WIDGET_ID = "B7fMpU7qHTBZzEaYgGhlLUbF"; } var BLOGBURST_TRACKING_CODE = "";1985 - USA for Africa's "We Are The World" album was released.

1990 - Elton John and Michael Jackson attended the funeral of Ryan White, and 18-year-old AIDS patient.

2005 - June Chandler testified in the Michael Jackson child molestation trial. Chandler was the mother of Jackson's 1993 13-year-old accuser.

STNGYahooContentMatch();

Just came from church and celebrating my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. Be right back with news updates.

HAPPY EASTER!
Today in
Michael Jackson History
1980 - Michael Jackson's single "Off The Wall" hit #10 in the U.S.

1989 - Michael Jackson won the Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Single, Male and Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Music Video categories at the third annual Soul Train Music Awards.

1994 - Janet Jackson's album "Janet" was certified six times Platinum by the RIAA.

2002 - Michael Jackson addressed the shareholders of MDP Worldwide Entertainment via a videotaped message. Jackson explained his vision and plans for the type of feature films he hoped to produce under the Neverland Pictures banner.

http://on-this-day.com/ (to answer the above question)

in the US.. this show called the Insider will feature MJ's auction items...

and I just saw this photo on an old article.. love it...

20090412_397374_01.jpg
1/3
The roaring look and trademark gyrations of music icon Michael Jackson on show at Singapore's National Stadium in August 1993 in a concert marking his 35th birthday before a sell-out crowd of 50,000.

Ebasket2.gif
Happy Easter Everyone!

There is no news to report right now but a few mentionings. Hope everyone is having a great holiday!

Michael Jackson Mentionings for April 12, 2009:

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/jazz/news/2009/04/1201.html

Saturday 19th of September is headlined by legendary artist Khaled, the Algerian singer is universally acknowledged as one of the biggest stars of world music. Rai musician Khaled is a phenomenon in the Arabic world, with a popularity that has reached almost surreal proportions. In 1992 his monster hit single 'Didi' sold over a million copies in European, Arabic and Asian countries, and made him more popular than Michael Jackson in India. He was also elevated to the status of nationwide celebrity and ambassador for the Arab minority in France, when his first French-language single, 'Aicha', put his brand of rai, a blend of traditional Algerian music and more Western styles such as soul, reggae and rock, at the top of the French charts for months, and sold 700, 000 copies in France alone.

http://www.thisishampshire.net/news/4279738.School_reunion_turns_back_time/

MORE than 170 teachers and pupils from Cranbourne School were reunited at Kempshott Village Hall for a school reunion of classes between 1986 to 1991.
There was plenty to catch up on before shapes were thrown at an 1980s disco.
Organiser Jules Ullah said: “Forget Michael Jackson playing at O2 in London. People said this was the event of the year.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/enterta...loor__Cornell_rocks/srvc=home&position=recent
Best ripple: Cornell’s angst-ridden, de-funkified version of Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” which spun out of Cornell’s “Carry On.” The conflict Jackson bathed in dance-pop gloss erupted in climactic grunge-rock fashion.

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en...idol-why-adam-lambert-makes-the-show-go-.html

Lambert has set the standard for himself. During Michael Jackson week, Lambert owned the stage on “Black or White.” During country week, he intrigued and disturbed with a ferocious, sitar-flavored take on “Ring of Fire.” (More about that one later.)

http://www.lvrj.com/news/42869272.html

His debut came in "Save the Last Dance 2" in 2006, and he appeared in "Stomp the Yard" in 2007.
In his next film, "Venice Beach," he will star and executive produce and write the soundtrack.
He launches a six-city UK tour on July 11 at London's 02 Arena, site of Michael Jackson's comeback on July 8. Ne-Yo has been writing songs for Jackson.

http://www.pressconnects.com/article/20090412/VIEWPOINTS02/904120301/1120/OPINION

It is time to search for "win-win" solutions to our vast array of problems, and the solutions begin with each one of us. That great modern prophet Michael Jackson said it well when he sang, "I'm startin' with the man in the mirror; I'm asking him to change his ways. Nobody's gonna make it any clearer: If you wanna make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make the change."

Michael Jackson HIStory for April 12, 2009:

1980 - Michael Jackson's single "Off The Wall" hit #10 in the U.S.

1989 - Michael Jackson won the Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Single, Male and Best R&B/Urban Contemporary Music Video categories at the third annual Soul Train Music Awards.

2002 - Michael Jackson addressed the shareholders of MDP Worldwide Entertainment via a videotaped message. Jackson explained his vision and plans for the type of feature films he hoped to produce under the Neverland Pictures banner.

Jackson rents stately home ahead of comeback tour

Pop superstar MICHAEL JACKSON has reportedly laid down a $1.45 million (£1 million) deposit on a 28-bedroom stately home in England to
accommodate him during his upcoming eight-month stay in the country.

The Thriller hitmaker is set to begin a massive 50-date residency at London's O2 Arena this summer (Jul09) and he is said to have sent a team over to Britain from Los Angeles to find him somewhere suitable to stay during the tour.

And the star has settled on luxurious £21 million (£15 million) residence Foxbury Manor in south east London which boasts nearly 30 bedrooms, an underground cinema, swimming pool and a private lake and wood, according to Britain's Daily Mail newspaper.

A source tells the publication, "The manor is just a private home, it's not normally available to rent. But Michael Jackson's aides spotted it and realised how suitable it was and approached the owner. The place is huge and really close to the O2 Arena - it's perfect."

And the singer is reportedly hiring an interior decorator to make sure the property is to his taste when he moves in.
The insider adds, "He's asked for brightly coloured wallpaper. And he's picking out artwork, statues and ornaments that he likes and bringing them in specially."

wait a min!

He ain't gonna stay in hotel?
Then r we fans allowed to cluster around his house?

^
and the fact that staying in a hotel for all of summer and winter can be kind of restricting...
i mean...has anyone seen The Shining :p

lol

just saying...

I think MJ chose the mansion/house cuz it would be much more open than the same old hotel room and perhaps as u stated more privacy.
but im pretty sure he would love the fans out there cheering sometimes ;)

in the US.. this show called the Insider will feature MJ's auction items...

and I just saw this photo on an old article.. love it...

20090412_397374_01.jpg

1/3
The roaring look and trademark gyrations of music icon Michael Jackson on show at Singapore's National Stadium in August 1993 in a concert marking his 35th birthday before a sell-out crowd of 50,000.
I guess it's a good thing you didn't include the article where you got it from since it was full of slander and even outlandish remarks from this one person claiming he's not "the greatest singer or person".

^
Lolll!!

What was that other line:
All work and no play makes Johnny a sad boy ... I think of was sad but perhaps not hehe :p

Back