Anyone else fearing a money grab?

adamschoales

Proud Member
Lets see:
- limited two week engagement ensuring fans will buy tickets as soon as possible and as much as possible to make sure they get the chance to see it, and create super hype.
- midnight special screening
- greatest hits CD rather than CD of stuff we actually want

i dont know guys. everything is leading me to believe this is nothing more than a cash-grab on the parts of Sony and AEG.

Dont get me wrong. The trailer makes it look amazing! But if I show up and the movie is like an hour and fifty minutes of people telling me what I already know, that MJ was a genius, and NOT an hour and fifty minutes of performing I'm going to be hella pissed!

Then, my advice to you would be not to go and wait for fans' reviews if you have any doubt.

As for the soundtrack, it was always inevitable that it will be released. And of course it's a Greatest Hits, coz that's what he was rehearsing to. I, for one, wasn't expecting a soundtrack CD with 100% new material.

Lets see:
- limited two week engagement ensuring fans will buy tickets as soon as possible and as much as possible to make sure they get the chance to see it, and create super hype.

i dont know guys. everything is leading me to believe this is nothing more than a cash-grab on the parts of Sony and AEG.

Dont get me wrong. The trailer makes it look amazing! But if I show up and the movie is like an hour and fifty minutes of people telling me what I already know, that MJ was a genius, and NOT an hour and fifty minutes of performing I'm going to be hella pissed!

You are going to be pissed. The movie includes a LOT of time on a career retrospective AND interviews with friends. There is not so much of Michael, believe it or not. Sad, but true. But, the parts with Michael, some of at least, will be shown in 3D. So, it should be good.

Sorry to spoil things for you, but I don't want you going in expecting one thing and ending up upset because it didn't live up to your expectations.

its just frustrating. if michael were doing this he'd be doing it for the fans. and he would know that the fans want to see him perform, not listen to beyoncé gush about how great he was (I've seen THE ONE. i know what its like). we know that already. there's apparently HOURS of rehearsal footage. that's what we want to see! look at the trailer, 90% of it is rehearsal footage. if we arrive and dont see that I think we have every right to feel duped and upset.

and the soundtrack issue still bothers me: another greatest hits in a NEW ORDER? again, all this footage means that there should be recordings of these songs performed live (or at least mimed to the new live arrangements). so why wont we get those?

i dont know. its just frustrating... im still going to be at the midnight showing with bells on - but i feel like they're doing this for the money. not for the fans or for michael's legacy.

its just frustrating. if michael were doing this he'd be doing it for the fans. and he would know that the fans want to see him perform, not listen to beyoncé gush about how great he was (I've seen THE ONE. i know what its like). we know that already. there's apparently HOURS of rehearsal footage. that's what we want to see! look at the trailer, 90% of it is rehearsal footage. if we arrive and dont see that I think we have every right to feel duped and upset.

and the soundtrack issue still bothers me: another greatest hits in a NEW ORDER? again, all this footage means that there should be recordings of these songs performed live (or at least mimed to the new live arrangements). so why wont we get those?

i dont know. its just frustrating... im still going to be at the midnight showing with bells on - but i feel like they're doing this for the money. not for the fans or for michael's legacy.

Well, Michael said it best himself, "They don't care, they do it for the money". The whole world goes round because of it. So I think this is the best we fans can expect, at least for now. Maybe something from a source with better intentions will come out in time.

You are going to be pissed. The movie includes a LOT of time on a career retrospective AND interviews with friends. There is not so much of Michael, believe it or not. Sad, but true. But, the parts with Michael, some of at least, will be shown in 3D. So, it should be good.

Sorry to spoil things for you, but I don't want you going in expecting one thing and ending up upset because it didn't live up to your expectations.

I hadn't hear about the retrospective and interviews and if there isn't much recent MJ footage that will be a disappointment to me and most of the people who go to see the film - not a good move from Sony.
Also, Kenny Ortega said there's not going to be any 3D in the film.

Why are you acting like you've seen the film?

I can hardly imagine it starting with "Michael Jackson was born in Gary Indiana..." - it's a documentary about the concerts...

I think we are getting those :)

Lets see:

-The limited two week run is probably less about creating hype and more to do with the fact that this is a hobby/special interest type of film and most people who are going to see will do so within the first two weeks anyways. A movie like this doesn't need to sit in theaters for a month or two, because its not going to sell as strong for that long. It will be in theaters for two weeks, do well those two weeks, then be pulled so that it doesn't sit around without fans going to see it (because, as mentioned, most fans are probably going to see it within the first few days).

Lots of movies have midnight screenings.

The cost of the ticket is the same as any other movie.

The CD is not just for diehards. It's a product for anyone interested. If you are a new fan, or are discovering MJ in his passing, this could be a great album. I'm interested in it even though I have all the stuff. Plus, a new album can come out next year with all the hype, single releases, etc. as if he was still alive. No need to do it all now.

And, finally, it's a simple fact that celebrities will make people money when they pass. Even if MJ was alive you would see these compilations popping up everywhere all the time. Go look at Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis or any other artist with a lengthy career. They have more albums, compilations, releases and re-releases than you can imagine.

It happens. If you don't agree with it, the strongest statement you can make is to not go see the film and not buy the CD.

Then, my advice to you would be not to go and wait for fans' reviews if you have any doubt.

As for the soundtrack, it was always inevitable that it will be released. And of course it's a Greatest Hits, coz that's what he was rehearsing to. I, for one, wasn't expecting a soundtrack CD with 100% new material.

I am surprised people don't get that. What else are they gonna put on a soundtrack...but the songs played in the movie.:bugeyed

Weird...that this remains a hot button issue. When the reason is fairly obvious.

I am sure once they are done with the movie, they will start working on a new album.

Why are you acting like you've seen the film?

I can hardly imagine it starting with "Michael Jackson was born in Gary Indiana..." - it's a documentary about the concerts...

i guess they read this on showcase cinemas site or other places

"This Is It," features Michael Jackson in his final days rehearsing for a series of comeback concerts in London, shortly before his untimely death. The movie will be drawn from hundreds of hours of rehearsal and behind-the-scenes footage. Jackson was staging his rehearsals at Staples Center and The Forum. The film will also offer select sequences in 3D and will also have a career retrospective and interviews with some of Jackson’s closest friends and collaborators.

-The limited two week run is probably less about creating hype and more to do with the fact that this is a hobby/special interest type of film and most people who are going to see will do so within the first two weeks anyways. A movie like this doesn't need to sit in theaters for a month or two, because its not going to sell as strong for that long. It will be in theaters for two weeks, do well those two weeks, then be pulled so that it doesn't sit around without fans going to see it (because, as mentioned, most fans are probably going to see it within the first few days).

Lots of movies have midnight screenings.

The cost of the ticket is the same as any other movie.

The CD is not just for diehards. It's a product for anyone interested. If you are a new fan, or are discovering MJ in his passing, this could be a great album. I'm interested in it even though I have all the stuff. Plus, a new album can come out next year with all the hype, single releases, etc. as if he was still alive. No need to do it all now.

And, finally, it's a simple fact that celebrities will make people money when they pass. Even if MJ was alive you would see these compilations popping up everywhere all the time. Go look at Ray Charles, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Miles Davis or any other artist with a lengthy career. They have more albums, compilations, releases and re-releases than you can imagine.

It happens. If you don't agree with it, the strongest statement you can make is to not go see the film and not buy the CD.

If you honestly believe the two week run is because it only needs a two week run you're out of your mind. Look at the reports of the screenings selling out, and breaking box office records. This is EXACTLY what sony wants. had it not had a "limited run" people wouldn't be rushing to MAKE SURE they got tickets. The midnight screenings are the same idea. Not saying this is the ONLY film to do it, but why do they do it? HYPE and DIE HARD FANS (look at the movies that get it, hollywood summer blockbusters and ones with huge followings like LOTR, Harry Potter, Batman, etc.). Same idea as Toy Story 1&2 in 3D. Limited run means people MAKE SURE to get out there and see it, and in turn guarenteed profits.

Granted the cost IS the same, which I have to admit WAS a shock, considering how much they gouged us for RENT: Filmed Live on Broadway.

As for the album: it's a slap in the face of anyone who has been a Jackson fan for anytime longer than 5 years. Simple as that. yeah, a great product for newbies but they're not going to buy a two disc collection with a limited edition booklet and blah blah blah. HIStory already proved that - people didn't want a greatest hits with a second disc, and fans didn't want a second disc with greatest hits. I am willing to bet that in a few weeks after the release of the 2 disc version there will be a single disc of JUST disc one without the rare stuff.

While on the subject:

I am surprised people don't get that. What else are they gonna put on a soundtrack...but the songs played in the movie.:bugeyed

Weird...that this remains a hot button issue. When the reason is fairly obvious.

I am sure once they are done with the movie, they will start working on a new album.

I wasn't expecting "the new album". It's a soundtrack. But here's the thing: a soundtrack is the music heard in the film (unless it's one of those "music inspired by" which ARE nothing more than cash grabs). What we are getting is NOT a soundtrack, it's a greatest hits compilation. Simple as that. If it WERE a soundtrack, it would include the live arangements/performances (presuming they're actually IN the movie... the trailer sure makes it look like more of a concert film than a documentary, and if it turns out to not be the case i think fans have every right to feel duped).

Think of it this way: if you bought the soundtrack to Across the Universe and got the Beatles Masters would you feel upset? Ripped off? How about if you got the soundtrack to Glee expecting to hear what you heard when you watched and got the original versions? How about Woodstock. Can you imagine buying the soundtrack from that and getting studio masters? Would you be shocked? Upset? Feel jilted? of course!

Are their soundtracks that dont always refelect what's in the film: absolutely. But I've NEVER seen a "concert film" thats soundtrack included ORIGINAL STUDIO MASTERS (and was PROUD OF IT!). Again, its not that I wanted brand new songs, I understand that those are coming. But I want what I hear in the film (and judging by the trailer, which again may be misleading, that means LIVE performances).

And of course, who knows, that second disc COULD BE those live arrangements (though I'd imagine if they were they'd mention that in the press release), or the long lost thriller demos we all desperately wanted. Though I have a feeling it will just be the "unreleased" tracks we heard on King of Pop and Ultimate Collection (which while they TECHNICALLY are released on cd, they WEREN'T released on the ORIGINAL... so SEMANTICALLY they could be considered "unreleased").

Don't get me wrong. I'm SUPER excited for the film, and we are judging based on rumours and hear-say. But I think fans have a right to feel a bit dubious about everything, especially considering sony's track record (how many greatest hits compilations have come out since Invincible? 5?) I get that rehashes are common after someone dies, but to be so bold as to pass off this old stuff as something new? Hell, the Beatles are still putting out original material.

It's exciting, it will be fun, and memorable. But I think long-time fans have a reason to feel a bit apprehensive.

Everything in this world is for money. The whole concept of 'This Is It' is all based around a need for money. On both AEG and Michael's part.

as if we needed anymore proof: sony now says they have new songs which they'll slowly release over the coming months and years.

so im guessing 5 songs per every greatest hits compilation. sound about right ;)

Back