Any Italian fans??, please help!!

Zeus7

Proud Member
Can any of the Italian fans on here REALLY help me out? I need to know how to write, Happy Birthday, I love you and I miss you, in Italian

If anyone can help me, please please do!

Are you Italian or did you use a translator? I got a few different spellings when I used it??

I'm italian :D

Well, depends on what you mean by "I love you". The correct spelling is "ti voglio bene" and it literally means "I want you to be good" ,you can use it when you speak with a friend...but you can also translate "I love you" as "ti amo" and you can say it when you talk to the person that you are in love with.

I'm italian :D

Well, depends on what you mean by "I love you". The correct spelling is "ti voglio bene" and it literally means "I want you to be good" ,you can use it when you speak with a friend...but you can also translate "I love you" as "ti amo" and you can say it when you talk to the person that you are in love with.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help a stranger, Im trying to win back the love of life, I wanted to write this in his Birthday card, he loves Italy and everything about it, so this is the way I should spell it in the card? As in the person I am in love with spelling, thank you so much xx

You're welcome! ^_^

I see, so you should say "Ti amo" - "Buon compleanno, ti amo e mi manchi."

or "ti amo tanto" (I love you so much)

Hope this will help you!

So I would say Buon compleanno, ti amo e mi manchi, and that is happy birthday, I love you and I miss you, thank you from the bottom of my heart cinnimongirl xxxxx

Unfortunately, I do not speak Italian. I can read it and understand it, but I can't speak it. Had you requested German or Spanish, hell, even French, I could have helped, but not Italian. Still, it was interesting to hear CinnamonGirl's explanation of the different ways of saying "I love you" in Italian.

Hi, this is out of topic but i hope someone will give me their view. i'm thinking of taking German and French courses this year because I love both languages and furthermore i think they will be quite usefull in different areas. Can somebody tell if it they are difficult as a languages to learn? And do you think it would be a good idea to try to learn both languages simultaneously?

Hi, this is out of topic but i hope someone will give me their view. i'm thinking of taking German and French courses this year because I love both languages and furthermore i think they will be quite usefull in different areas. Can somebody tell if it they are difficult as a languages to learn? And do you think it would be a good idea to try to learn both languages simultaneously?

Personally, I would pick only one language at a time. There is no way you will adequately pick up both languages at the same time. I find German a lot easier than French, and a lot more interesting. However, I have my own reasons for pursuing German. It would largely depend upon your reasons behind pursuing each language--if you would care to elaborate on them, I could give you a more educated opinion on which to take.

Personally, I would pick only one language at a time. There is no way you will adequately pick up both languages at the same time. I find German a lot easier than French, and a lot more interesting. However, I have my own reasons for pursuing German. It would largely depend upon your reasons behind pursuing each language--if you would care to elaborate on them, I could give you a more educated opinion on which to take.

Oh, thank you for the respond. Yes, i thought that it wouldn't be a good idea of starting both languages at the same time but i have the feeling that i can do it. Maybe because i have an idea on French and also because i think that German is a total opposite language and i won't get confused with similarities between them? I don't know, i'm just speculating and i'm wishfull thinking :D . But i really want to learn, or at least try to learn both languages before i leave this vain world. And i want to start now that i'm still young enought because i know that the older one gets the harder they can learn new languages.

As for the reason why i want to learn them,i guess because i like both of them, i like the sound of them and it fascinates me when i hear people speak those particular languages. Actually, i got interested in German when i first read Faust and besides the translated text, the editor had included the original part also.I remember myself thinking that i wish i could read the original text. French is a language that i always wanted to learn but i just didn't have the time due to school,my painting and english courses, then university etc etc.So now that i have more free time, i thought that it was a great opportunity to start them.I have asked a couple of people on this but because they don't know neither of the laugages,they told me to go for it and that it wouldn't be that hard. But as i understand you do speak both languages so i guess you can give me a more thorough idea. Any suggestion? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

I first started learning Italian when there was a skiing trip we were gonna go on at junior school which was later cancelled. I have been learning off and on ever since. I've been to Italy once for a AC Milan-Juventus game at the San Siro and managed to get along well enough with the language. I love it and have a few good italian friends who give me pointers & corrections if needed. I hope your friend likes the card :)

Buona fortuna :)

Oh, thank you for the respond. Yes, i thought that it wouldn't be a good idea of starting both languages at the same time but i have the feeling that i can do it. Maybe because i have an idea on French and also because i think that German is a total opposite language and i won't get confused with similarities between them? I don't know, i'm just speculating and i'm wishfull thinking :D . But i really want to learn, or at least try to learn both languages before i leave this vain world. And i want to start now that i'm still young enought because i know that the older one gets the harder they can learn new languages.

As for the reason why i want to learn them,i guess because i like both of them, i like the sound of them and it fascinates me when i hear people speak those particular languages. Actually, i got interested in German when i first read Faust and besides the translated text, the editor had included the original part also.I remember myself thinking that i wish i could read the original text. French is a language that i always wanted to learn but i just didn't have the time due to school,my painting and english courses, then university etc etc.So now that i have more free time, i thought that it was a great opportunity to start them.I have asked a couple of people on this but because they don't know neither of the laugages,they told me to go for it and that it wouldn't be that hard. But as i understand you do speak both languages so i guess you can give me a more thorough idea. Any suggestion? It would be greatly appreciated. :)

You would think that you wouldn't get them confused because they're so diametrically opposed to each other, but the truth is that this is easier to do than one would otherwise anticipate. For example, when I was learning French, I found myself starting sentences in French and finishing them in German (much to my French teacher's frustration). This, of course, won't be as likely to happen if you're focusing only on learning one language at a time, since your "automatic recall" (that's what I call it when I'm not really thinking but trying to speak naturally) will be more "pure" and not a garbled mess of different languages.

Interestingly enough, this only really happens when speaking, and not when writing, probably because we are inclined to pay more attention to what we're doing when writing (i.e. one has to think before putting pen to paper), as opposed to speaking (we rarely put too much thought into what we say in casual talk). With that said, I stick to my original advice.

I have no doubt that you could do it--however, the question is, could you do it well? Is it worth pursuing if a degree of mastery is not achieved in either? Most probably not, but that's only my perception. I would still focus on only one language at a time unless you're really pressed for time (and, believe me, you're not--pressed for time would be: you need to learn both English and French in one year because your company is sending you to Canada, or something like that).

Your situation is more a personal pursuit, and while it is true that the older you get, the harder it is to learn new material, the difference isn't really all that great. The ideal would be for children to pick up languages in their stages of infancy and early childhood, where they would be more apt to learn multiple languages with as much ease as they do their mother tongue.

If you're past that stage (and I would assume this is so since 1. you're posting here, 2. you mentioned reading Faust, and 3. you mentioned university courses) your age won't make much of a difference. However, learning languages is a time-consuming task, you will need to completely immerse yourself in the given language/culture (watch films in that language, listen to music, talk to people online, etc. if you don't already live there). This is the primary reason why I would recommend learning only one language at a time--it is more worthwhile to learn one language to its full mastery than to halfheartedly know two or more languages.

Given your penchant for the French language, I would learn this one first. If you've always been interested in French, you're likelier to be more devoted to learning it than simply to read a work that's originally penned in a given language. It's always been a dream of mine to be able to read Victor Hugo's Notre-Dame de Paris in its original French--however, this will have to wait, since aside from that, French sparks little interest in me. German is where it's at! B)

You are correct, technically I do speak both languages. I am pretty much semi-fluent in German (can read it, write it, speak it well enough, but not yet at such a high level that I would declare proficiency--I'm still learning vocab. and more sophisticated grammar), and a beginner in French (I can read it pretty well, can write it somewhat well, can't speak it to my satisfaction, though).

I'm a native Spanish speaker (this is probably a big help in understanding Italian/Portuguese, and to a lesser degree, French, since these languages often share similar vocabulary and grammar), and am very evidently proficient in speaking English (it helps with German, somewhat), so I'd say I'm pretty acquainted with the process of learning languages. However, not living in an area where your desired language is the official tongue and where its cultural manifestation cannot be easily found complicates things.

This is the chief reason why I say you should focus on only one language at a time--it requires a complete commitment and devotion, which you ideally should not split into two separate endeavours if you can help it.

Well, It's possible...I think it will take you just more time and more concentration.

Back