Any atheist/agnostic members around?

roiklow

Proud Member
Hi! I didn't create this thread as an opposition to the JChrist thread, it's just that i feel really lonely in this forum as an atheist/agnostic member. Is there any more members who feel like me? let's not turn this in a bashing thread where catholics and atheists fight and all that CRAP please.

Oh come on....it doesn't have to be Christians vs Atheists all the time. Can't we just get along?

If you are atheist/agnostic then you have no reason to make a blog about it cause you don't believe in anything. What is there to discuss....
There is an atheist agnostic blog down the page somewhere.

Well in a forum like this where in every thread i can see "let's pray for" "i hope god did that" or "let's make a prayer for" I needed to find a little refuge like a thread as this one (i didn't knew an older one already existed). And it exists and i'm happy to see that i'm not alone! :)

I can only see one thread like that. Why would you feel threatened by that. If people have a belief in god then just let them have it. If you don't believe then why would care if someone says 'god this and that' because you don't believe it anyway.
I cant say for certain but I imagine there are a lot of MJ fans who have a faith cause MJ was very spirtual and respected people's faith. Why can't you do the same.
Sorry, Im not trying to start something, i just don't see the point in starting a 'versus' debate, especially on this site.

It's not a versus debate. It's just simply that sometimes i get lost in some threads because it all becomes about heaven, god, destiny and praying. I don't know if i explain myself good since my english is quite poor.

hello buddy thanks for making this thread! I thought I was the only one here. and isn't it so nice that we didnt crash the Christian thread.

wrong. it only means not to believe in a "God".

anything based on reality? :D

So what do you believe in then? If someone came up to you on the street and asked you 'what created everything, the universe and life?' How would you answer that?

We all should have some kind of answer otherwise you are just ignoring it, which is kind of hard to do when you see miracles happen or when you look up at the vastness of the night sky...

So what do you believe in then? If someone came up to you on the street and asked you 'what created everything, the universe and life?' How would you answer that?

We all should have some kind of answer otherwise you are just ignoring it, which is kind of hard to do when you see miracles happen or when you look up at the vastness of the night sky...

If someone asked me that, I would be honest and tell them I do not know the answer, and not make up things that I can not prove.

Why can't believers understand this?

What miracles? Vastness of the night? You mean the gigantic Universe wich is big and old and holds so many wonders in nature that the quest to find out is so difficult and challenging that only the power of science can ever bring us even remotely close to any form of explanation. In that instant I realize that I am misguided by my emotions and that my puny human brain is not smart enough to know the answer and that the collective mind of the human race is the only thing I can truly hold on to, and that this collective power wich exists because of the scientific method has made the world I live in today. The modern world wich we take for granted and wich we piss away for selfish reasons.

In that instant I feel at aw of the greatness of nature and how little and insignificant I and everyone truly are compared, and that the arrogance of those who claim they know the answer without any evidence is a plague to the world and our hope for a better future.

I'm agnostic. I don't know whether there is a God, I don't have enough information to prove that he exists nor can I say for sure that he does not. However, I don't believe in religion. I don't see any reason why one religion should be the ultimate truth and all others just be wrong. I believe that religion is man creating an answer to questions he couldn't answer himself. And the different religions of the world are culture-adapted versions of the story of how things came to be. You may call it God or Allah or Krishna. I might call it mother nature. It's all just different names to the same concept. I don't think man is the greatest being there is, I do believe in a higher power, but I don't need to put a name to it, I don't need to explain all the things that we cannot explain yet.
I believe in science. Not that it is always right, but that it is the most objective institution dedicated to finding out the truth, willing to accept new discoveries that prove their former theories wrong etc. Science will catch up to the things we have not been able to answer yet. For example we only know a fraction of what the human brain is capable of. Therefore seeing ghosts, predicting the future, near-death-experience visions.. all these things we've considered supernatural, will eventually (or to some extent already have) turn out to be quite natural. In the mean time, I DO NOT NEED TO MAKE UP AN ANSWER TO AN UNANSWERED QUESTION JUST TO FEEL SAFER. I'm not that afraid of the unknown. Even though I realise it is in the human nature to be afraid of it.
Also, I'm not saying religion serves no purpose whatsoever. I think that all people need to believe in something. Without belief or hope you start to think there is no point to your existence. People in grief or dealing with terrible tragedies often find comfort in the hope that believing in God can give them, and I think that's great. But personally I use other coping mechanisms.
If it turns out there is a God, I "believe" that he/she/It will appreciate that I have chosen to do as much good as I can, and treat others the way I want to be treated, and live the best way that I can while still making mistakes as humans do, and not send me to a blazing pit of torture for not letting a book tell me what to do. In a way, following religion removes responsibility. It's of much greater value if you follow the 10 commandments (which are basically human morals and ethics) without fearing that not doing so will send you to hell. Religion is very rigid and leaves little room for analysing and investigating. You're supposed to accept everything that is written as the truth even though there are so many inconsistencies and that's just not good enough.

So there, that's what I believe in.
Also, I'd really appreciate if this didn't turn into a conversion thread. Surely religious people can also accept that not everyone believes in what they do.

I'm an Atheist when it comes to God and Religion but i do believe in a Afterlife just not the way the Christians do

yeah im an atheist.i prefer to deal with fact and common sense rather than superstition and believing things cause it makes u feel better regardless of how illogical it is

Oh my god you people take a look at the jehova's witness education thread in news section it's impressive. Nowdays people STILL defending that kind of intervention on kids is ok...

You're not the only one. I was raised Christian, and was pretty religious when I was younger. I started having serious doubts in high school, and after taking a World Religions course, wondered why Christianity had to be right. Why any religion had to be right? How did a person know that their own religion was the right way and that everything else was wrong? For most people, their religion came from how they were raised. I wouldn't have been Christian if my parents hadn't been Christian. And they wouldn't have been Christian if their parents hadn't been Christian. And my ancestors wouldn't have been Christian if they hadn't been FORCIBLY converted from Hinduism by European missionaries.

Basically, I could have been born to a family of any religion and followed that religion. It just happened to be Christianity, in my case. I never discovered Christianity on its own -- the story of Jesus was just something that had always been taught in my household. As I grew up, I realized that that didn't it had to be the truth (I don't want to offend any Christians here.. Just my opinion). And this is just one of the reasons I've lost my faith.

I still go to church sometimes, because my mom's a devout Catholic. However, so many questions are always in my head.. ("Why does God allow bad things to happen? How can people put their trust in a Church that has been involved in so much evil? If religions preach peace, why is it most often the cause of war and discrimination? Etc..."

It's not a versus debate. It's just simply that sometimes i get lost in some threads because it all becomes about heaven, god, destiny and praying. I don't know if i explain myself good since my english is quite poor.
Your English is poor? If that's poor English than I'm the queen of Albania

Your English is poor? If that's poor English than I'm the queen of Albania

Oh thank you very much hun, that made my day! :D. I'm spanish that's why I don't write it or pronounciate as well as i would like to.

Back