An old quote from Jane Fonda about Michael

Naytobes

Proud Member
Just saw this in an old Rolling Stone interview, back when Thriller was released.

"I remember driving with him one day, and I said,'God, Michael, I wish I could find a movie I could produce for you.' And suddenly I knew. I said, 'I know what you've got to do. It's Peter Pan.' Tears welled up in his eyes and he said, 'Why did you say that?' with this ferocity. I said, 'I realize you're Peter Pan.' And he started to cry and said, 'You know, all over the walls of my room are pictures of Peter Pan. I've read everything that [author J.M.] Barrie wrote. I totally identify with Peter Pan, the lost boy of never-never land.'"

The last part got to me, oh sweet Michael. You were Peter Pan at heart :(

Too sweet!

Isn't "Hook" the reason why Michael was mad at Steven Speilberg because he gave the role of Peter Pan to Robin Williams?

I mean, I can see why Steven opted for Robin since the whole premise of Hook was that Peter Pan grew up & became an older guy with kids & lost touch of his "Pan-ness." Michael is too youthful for the role of a crotchety older yuppie type.

Had the movie followed the original storyline, then yeah - Michael would've nailed it. I even think Michael could've done a Broadway version of Pan. Can you imagine that???

Sigh.

Aww, that's so sweet. Thanks for posting it.

thanks for sharing. I think that was one of the ultimate goals of MJ to make that movie about Peter Pan. And he never got the chance to do it.

omg didn't she say something else? to the effect of love michael jackson b/c once he's gone, he's gone. we'll never have another one. love him while he's here

from her twitter

Jane Fonda (Janefonda):
I am stunned. My friend, Michael Jackson is dead. He lived with me for a week on "Golden Pond" set after "Thriller."

ooohhhhhhh Naytobes, that SIGGY!!!!! :wub:

And yeah, I love that story that she told :yes:

Too sweet!

Isn't "Hook" the reason why Michael was mad at Steven Speilberg because he gave the role of Peter Pan to Robin Williams?
hmmmmm, how come I didn't know that?

omg didn't she say something else? to the effect of love michael jackson b/c once he's gone, he's gone. we'll never have another one. love him while he's here
OMGoodness, did she really say that?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
Cause aint that the *insert 2 bad words* TRUTH!!!!

Speilberg was developing a musical version of Peter Pan and Michael was up for the lead role. Then the project was abandoned when Speilberg's first son was born because he wanted to be at home instead of London for almost a year. Then after a few months later, he wanted to do more adult themed movies and filmed Empire of the Sun. Michael then went to record Bad & go on tour, then go back to the studio to record Dangerous.

Then separate screenwriters reworked "Peter Pan" concept "Hook" as Peter Pan as a crotchety old guy who forgot his childhood and the role went to Robin Williams. The studio wanted Speilberg - and eventually got him to direct. Allegedly, Michael was really mad at Speilberg and there was this awful rumor in Vanity Fair that Michael went to a witch doctor to put a curse on David Geffen & Steven Speilberg. (LOL!)

ooohhhhhhh Naytobes, that SIGGY!!!!! :wub:

And yeah, I love that story that she told :yes:

hmmmmm, how come I didn't know that?

OMGoodness, did she really say that?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?
Cause aint that the *insert 2 bad words* TRUTH!!!!

Well, it was very nice and sweet what Jane Fonda said. Did he ever say all these things he or she is saying now?

But for me this friendship only existed in the past been weakening over time and over. "Friends" by Michael are resurfacing now. This is funny and foreign at the same time.

I see that people are just passing on Michael's life, except for Liz Taylor in my opinion was the only true friend and always stood beside Michael.

Well, it was very nice and sweet what Jane Fonda said. Did he ever say all these things he or she is saying now?

But for me this friendship only existed in the past been weakening over time and over. "Friends" by Michael are resurfacing now. This is funny and foreign at the same time.

I see that people are just passing on Michael's life, except for Liz Taylor in my opinion was the only true friend and always stood beside Michael.

Yes, she said it back when Thriller was released, it was from an interview printed back in the 80s.

I know what you mean though, there are so many people coming and saying they were Michael's best friend, which is just silly. Actually, in the same intervew Michael spoke about how hard it was to find friends who were actually considered friends, because how could he know that they were for real? Which is true, once you reach the level of success that Michael did - everyone wants to be your friend! And I think a lot of people used his friendship.

It's no wonder we only see truth behind stores from the likes of people like Elizabeth, his most true friend. And, who is the only one who seems to be keeping her memories to herself since his death. Everyone else seems to be saying "oh, we were best friends, we did this, he said this to me" and all that. You say it now...

The person who bugged me the most was Davd Guest. I'm sure they were friends, but to come out and say "No one knew Michael like me. He was my best friend" after his death, please! And to ramble on about fishing trips that the two of you took, I doubt Mchael ever went fishing, and stopped to pump gas!!! Without the likes of a bodyguard. (I don't know if anyone else saw that quote from Guest - but it bugged me)

Sorry, I am rambling...

Yes, she said it back when Thriller was released, it was from an interview printed back in the 80s.

I know what you mean though, there are so many people coming and saying they were Michael's best friend, which is just silly. Actually, in the same intervew Michael spoke about how hard it was to find friends who were actually considered friends, because how could he know that they were for real? Which is true, once you reach the level of success that Michael did - everyone wants to be your friend! And I think a lot of people used his friendship.

It's no wonder we only see truth behind stores from the likes of people like Elizabeth, his most true friend. And, who is the only one who seems to be keeping her memories to herself since his death. Everyone else seems to be saying "oh, we were best friends, we did this, he said this to me" and all that. You say it now...

The person who bugged me the most was Davd Guest. I'm sure they were friends, but to come out and say "No one knew Michael like me. He was my best friend" after his death, please! And to ramble on about fishing trips that the two of you took, I doubt Mchael ever went fishing, and stopped to pump gas!!! Without the likes of a bodyguard. (I don't know if anyone else saw that quote from Guest - but it bugged me)

Sorry, I am rambling...

I'm glad you understood what I meant. That's why I believe that to Michael was almost impossible to rely 100% on a person. For him the trust has always been essential and very important. He suffered a lot because of it. People made him suffer and with him were false. I'm sad because he was so surrounded by people in his life and everything being passengers in his life. That's why I admire the Liz Taylor and I am very happy for her to be part of Michael's life.

I think that Michael had a lot of sensable celebrity friends but for some reason, he was cut off from them. And I think it was the shoddy players in his life who did this because they came with a money agenda and didn't want their deeds to be seen by people who really cared for Michael. I just don't understand why his friends didn't fight to help him. It just seems to me like his friends thought that he didn't want them around or something.

she said that during a ths (E! network) doc on him....making fun of him...true hollywood story. so it was a fairly recent interview...in the last 10-15 yrs. a long time after gold pond

Too sweet!

I mean, I can see why Steven opted for Robin since the whole premise of Hook was that Peter Pan grew up & became an older guy with kids & lost touch of his "Pan-ness." Michael is too youthful for the role of a crotchety older yuppie type.

Had the movie followed the original storyline, then yeah - Michael would've nailed it. I even think Michael could've done a Broadway version of Pan. Can you imagine that???

Sigh.
I doubt it, because Mike said he doesn't dig doing a play because it's not recorded like a film, and the performance is lost to history.

And to ramble on about fishing trips that the two of you took, I doubt Mchael ever went fishing, and stopped to pump gas!!! Without the likes of a bodyguard. (I don't know if anyone else saw that quote from Guest - but it bugged me)

Sorry, I am rambling...

for some reason you made me laugh with this :lol:

she said that during a ths (E! network) doc on him....making fun of him...true hollywood story. so it was a fairly recent interview...in the last 10-15 yrs. a long time after gold pond

I also remember her saying that during E! documentary. She was very supportive of him and defended him against all the bad press.

She also said that Michael was like an harp string. She said whatever happended to him reverberated throughout his being. I had never thought about that way. To me it was profound.

I always appreciated her for standing up for Michael. I also think Michael's "people" kept him away from some friendships.

Just saw this in an old Rolling Stone interview, back when Thriller was released.

"I remember driving with him one day, and I said,'God, Michael, I wish I could find a movie I could produce for you.' And suddenly I knew. I said, 'I know what you've got to do. It's Peter Pan.' Tears welled up in his eyes and he said, 'Why did you say that?' with this ferocity. I said, 'I realize you're Peter Pan.' And he started to cry and said, 'You know, all over the walls of my room are pictures of Peter Pan. I've read everything that [author J.M.] Barrie wrote. I totally identify with Peter Pan, the lost boy of never-never land.'"

The last part got to me, oh sweet Michael. You were Peter Pan at heart :(

Love this, thanx for posting.

Have you guys seen this: http://www.theo2.co.uk/event/peter-pan-20091201.html

As soon as I saw it I thought of Michael, wondering if he may have cooked up another crazy disguise to go and see it!

:cry:

he is peterpan in the flesh.but thoese demons stole neverland away,depriving him the pure joy of living in his own way and making him feel lost and hurt,how can such a sensitive and sweet soul not be loved as he should be,he deseverd all the best things in this world

Sorry, I am rambling...
ok, so I'm sure they werent still the best of friends, but I think David was a real friend. I believe Michael got out and pumped gas in the OTW days! This is the same michael who went out and took his llama for a walk, who went to parties and studio 54, who hung out with his friends etc.. This was the OTW era that David was talking about- Michael wasn't a super duper star yet, and I think he was a little more outgoing, especially since he wasn't being attacked EVERY time he went out, like after thriller era

She was making fun of him???!!!! :unsure: I'm so lost....this quote:
" to the effect of love michael jackson b/c once he's gone, he's gone. we'll never have another one. love him while he's here" is her making fun of Michael????

I also remember her saying that during E! documentary. She was very supportive of him and defended him against all the bad press.

She also said that Michael was like an harp string. She said whatever happended to him reverberated throughout his being. I had never thought about that way. To me it was profound.

I always appreciated her for standing up for Michael. I also think Michael's "people" kept him away from some friendships.

Hmmm, I read it in a very,very old copy of Rolling Stone? Maybe she spoke about it again? I dunno :)

I just thought it was a nice thing to say, the whole Peter Pan thing :) So cute

I remember Jane standing up for Mike right after the Bashir documentary. She was a good friend.

Back