American Welfare System - Social Workers needed

Minnie

Proud Member
Hey guys,

I'm studying social science and I have an upcoming exam about social exclusion. Basically I need your help!

Can someone explain the difference between General Relief, which I understand to be a loan, and being on welfare?
If you lose your job in the US, are there any public unemployment assistance - or is it all private insurances?

What are the rules regarding medicaid? How much does it actually cover, and WHO does it cover?

I need to do a comparativ analysis of Denmark and the US, and try to make the point that the US with Obama is moving in the opposite direction of Denmark - we're kinda moving towards the social system of each other.

Anyone here able to answer these questions it would be GREATLY appreciated :-D

Hmm, don't know much bout it but the brother in law is on unemployment. He has to attend meetings that teach him how to write resumes and how to present yourself at interviews. In additon he has to show his weekly attempts to find a job in order to stay on unemployment. They also offer job assistance in finding new jobs.

Welfare consists of a large scope of different levels and aspects. Everything from state health insurance to food checks and housing assistance. There's so many different programs.

Don't know much about the rest. Hope that helps.

Good health is important to everyone. If you can't afford to pay for medical care right now, Medicaid can make it possible for you to get the care that you need so that you can get healthy – and stay healthy.
Medicaid is available only to certain low-income individuals and families who fit into an eligibility group that is recognized by federal and state law. Medicaid does not pay money to you; instead, it sends payments directly to your health care providers. Depending on your state's rules, you may also be asked to pay a small part of the cost (co-payment) for some medical services. ("Medicaid At-A-Glance 2005" may be downloaded from the bottom of the page.)
Medicaid is a state administered program and each state sets its own guidelines regarding eligibility and services. Read more about your state Medicaid program. (See Related Links inside CMS at the bottom of the page.)
Many groups of people are covered by Medicaid. Even within these groups, though, certain requirements must be met. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant. The rules for counting your income and resources vary from state to state and from group to group. There are special rules for those who live in nursing homes and for disabled children living at home.
Your child may be eligible for coverage if he or she is a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant, even if you are not (however, there is a 5-year limit that applies to lawful permanent residents). Eligibility for children is based on the child's status, not the parent's. Also, if someone else's child lives with you, the child may be eligible even if you are not because your income and resources will not count for the child.
In general, you should apply for Medicaid if your income is low and you match one of the descriptions of the Eligibility Groups. (Even if you are not sure whether you qualify, if you or someone in your family needs health care, you should apply for Medicaid and have a qualified caseworker in your state evaluate your situation.)

To read more go here..

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidGenInfo/

I googled General Relief also, cause I never heard of it.. lol..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]General Relief (GR) is a County-funded program that provides financial assistance to indigent adults who are ineligible for federal or State programs. The GR caseload includes the following employability status classifications:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Employables are participants with no medical conditions that would prevent employment. GR employables may receive GR for nine months in a 12-month period, provided they continue to comply with GROW requirements. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unemployables are participants who have one or more medical conditions (temporary or permanent) affecting their ability to work. GR benefits are not time limited for unemployables. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The General Relief Opportunities for Work (GROW) program offers employment and training services to employables and is designed to help GR participants obtain jobs and achieve self–sufficiency. Substance abuse treatment is also available if necessary.[/FONT]

http://www.ladpss.org/dpss/general_relief/default.cfm

Hope this helped you find answers to your questions.

Last edited:
Thanx cass

I picked GiveintomeMJ's brain the other night which was REALLY helpful too.

Thing is, I'm doing a comparativ analysis on the Danish and American welfare regimes for an exam, and I don't wanna sit there and screw myself up but not getting my facts straight - so thank you so much everyone who answered or helped me out :)

Shannon, do you know, how long can he stay on unemployment?

I was shocked to find that apparently there is no such thing as an unemployment insurance in the US LOL That's like one of the corner-stones of our welfare model LOL

Back