Alternative Invincible Producer

SmoothCriminal1995

Proud Member
I thought I'd ask the question, if you could pick anyone MJ collaborated with around the time of making the Invincible album, as a main producer as Rodney Jerkins was. Who would it be and why.

I would pick Dr Freeze, my reason being I love what I've heard of his sessions with Mike, APWNN, Blue Gangsta and Break Of Dawn (one of the best songs on Invincible)

Bring Timbaland on board. He produced great stuff with Justin. If he collaborated with make they would've made HIStory.

Michael Jackson.

He wrote and produced a lot of his best music by himself. And even the Quincy produced stuff, if you listen to the demos MJ recorded at Hayvenhurst (before Quincy had anything to do with the songs), you can clearly see it is MJ's genius that made those songs so great.

I do wonder what Pharell would've done with Invincible as he nearly did work on it. But yeah, Michael needs to take charge an example is all of his greatest hits are mainly his.

Yeezus? haha..I like Kanye :) , but that album is his worst album. I don't like it at at all :p

Well that's your opinion. Not what the critics say, That album was ahead of time, that's why some people wasn't fully ready for it, and therefore can't really enjoy the true quality of this album just yet.

my choices:

Timbaland & Pharrell

with MJ guiding them, would have been so so epic.
i personally think, if pharrell got to work with him, it would have been a more successful album.
wasnt JTs album in 2001/02 more popular than Mjs invincible?

I do wonder what Pharell would've done with Invincible as he nearly did work on it. But yeah, Michael needs to take charge an example is all of his greatest hits are mainly his.

Since those Pharell songs were admittedly inspired by OTW and Thriller for Michael it would have been kind of repeating himself. Also, I like some of those songs but they easily get boring after a couple of listens what I never get with MJ's music. But then had they worked together probably Michael would have taken those songs on another level both in terms of singing and production.

my choices:

Timbaland & Pharrell

with MJ guiding them, would have been so so epic.
i personally think, if pharrell got to work with him, it would have been a more successful album.
wasnt JTs album in 2001/02 more popular than Mjs invincible?

Maybe, but IMO Invincible aged better. Also Invincible wasn't less successful necessarily because the music was less good. There were huge problems with the promotion, MJ had image problems etc.

I thought the question was anyone MJ collaborated with during the making of Invincible, right? Timbaland (who was mainly working with Missy, Ginuwine, Aaliyah and others at the time) and Kanye (still trying to make it in the industry) weren't involved and something tells me it would not have worked, collaboration wise

My first choice would be Michael himself, I think Michael was underrated as a producer and should've produced some more of his own material

My second choice would be Dr. Freeze. Stuff like Break Of Dawn and unreleased tracks like Place With No Name and Blue Gangster tells me they could come up with great material

Although he didn't work with them in the end, The Neptunes and Michael would have been great. The thing though is if they had worked together, songs like Rock Your Body and Like I Love You would have probably sounded different. Like he did with Rodney, he would've had them reconstuct the songs to his liking with his help

I would also have loved if Michael worked with Walter Afanasieff! A great producer and i think his production would have fit MJ's ballads.

I can just hear Michael on this song, Don't Walk Away-Esque. Produced by Walter Afanasieff
[youtube]DZqFK4dcl2Q[/youtube]

Edit* Wait what, i didn't know Walter produced Fall Again!? Yeah, that reaffirms it!

Honestly, just Mike, Brad, and a little bit of Teddy sweetening things up would of made a really great, honest record. I'm sure it's been hashed over and over the problems with how the project was overproduced and blah blah blah blah, but yeah for me - these guys could of killed it if they really had the chance

I would also have loved if Michael worked with Walter Afanasieff! A great producer and i think his production would have fit MJ's ballads.

I can just hear Michael on this song, Don't Walk Away-Esque. Produced by Walter Afanasieff
[youtube]DZqFK4dcl2Q[/youtube]

Edit* Wait what, i didn't know Walter produced Fall Again!? Yeah, that reaffirms it!

This, would of been killer. Insert some MJ touches, and man, Invincible would of brought the king back!

Bill Bottrell. Together he and Michael produced Black Or White, Who Is It, Give Into Me and Earth Song. I would have loved to have seen them work on a full album together.

It doesn't always have to be the ''in'' producer at the time

My Dream Invincible (2 CD Album) Producer Team:

Michael Jackson & Pharell Williams (Main Producer) ( 9 Tracks)
Michael Jackson & Will.i.am (Old Style not House) (7 Tracks)
Michael Jackson & Dr. Freeze (6 Tracks)
Quincy Jones (4 Tracks)
Robin Thicke (3 Tracks)
Teddy Riley ( 4 Tracks)

it would be the greatest Album ever...

My Dream Invincible (2 CD Album) Producer Team:

Michael Jackson & Pharell Williams (Main Producer) ( 9 Tracks)
Michael Jackson & Will.i.am (Old Style not House) (7 Tracks)
Michael Jackson & Dr. Freeze (6 Tracks)
Quincy Jones (4 Tracks)
Robin Thicke (3 Tracks)
Teddy Riley ( 4 Tracks)

it would be the greatest Album ever...

That would be a dream coming true!

oh yeah :( I really want to hear the will.i.am Songs...

Timbaland. No question. He was at his peak here and he has the versatility to pull off absolutely anything. (If you don't believe me, take a listen to Justin Timberlake's Blue Ocean Floor, Strawberry Bubblegum and Let the Groove Get In. Even if you don't like them, you can't deny that they're on opposite sides of the spectrum.)

Besides, Heartbreaker sounds like Rodney/MJ's attempt at hitting some Timbaland inspiration anyways.

Walter Afanasieff was in Russia 5 or 6 years ago. He gave an interview to one of the russian channels and he talked so much crap about Michael, that he is a freak and stuff. So my choice would be Pharrell.

Walter Afanasieff was in Russia 5 or 6 years ago. He gave an interview to one of the russian channels and he talked so much crap about Michael, that he is a freak and stuff. So my choice would be Pharrell.

He did? Why am i not surprised. I bet he didn't even know MJ personally. Pharrell it is then :)

I would have liked for MJ to work with Daft Punk. Discovery, which came out the same year as Invincible was wonderful and they're fans of Michael.

The Neptunes and maybe Timbaland would have been good choices but I'm not sure MJ and Tim would've meshed well. Plus MJ would be the boss of the operation so what he says, would go. From following Timbaland's career since '97 when he was doing stuff with Ginuwine, Missy, Aaliyah and others, he's always been the boss of the project so I'm not sure

Chad and Pharrell have always thrived on collaboration so it could've worked but I don't think the songs they did for Michael (Rock Your Body for example) would have sounded the same if MJ had gotten involved.

after listening to Pharrels new album "GIRL", i think he and mj could have created something very big.
damn, why did mj reject pharrells stuff during vince era?

Back