all things 1983šŸ’œ

I was only able to see Page 2 but I enjoyed it. Can't remember if I've seen this before or not.

"Jackson gets serious
BY CHRISTOPHER CONNELLY
JANUARY 20, 1983

MAYBE THE BEST song here is ā€œBeat It,ā€ a this-ainā€™t-no-disco AOR track if ever I heard one. Jacksonā€™s voice soars all over the melody, Eddie Van Halen checks in with a blistering guitar solo, you could build a convention center on the backbeat, and the result is one nifty dance song. Programmers, take note.

Jacksonā€™s greatest failing has been a tendency to go for the glitz, and while heā€™s curbed the urge on Thriller, he hasnā€™t obliterated it entirely. The end of side two, especially ā€œP.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing),ā€ isnā€™t up to the spunky character of the other tracks. And the title song, which at first sounds like a metaphoric examination of the same under-siege mentality that marks the LPā€™s best moments, instead degenerates into silly camp, with a rap by Vincent Price. (Couldnā€™t they get Count Floyd?)

His talents, not just singing but dancing and acting, could make him a perfect mainstream performer. Perish the thought. The fiery conviction of Thriller offers hope that Michael is still a long way away from succumbing to the lures of Vegas. Thriller may not be Michael Jacksonā€™s 1999, but itā€™s a gorgeous, snappy step in the right direction."
Nice review, this guy had some sort of crystal ball, he has a point here, I probably would not have made these statements as early as 1983 yet but later in his career Michael did go over the top and he already saw it happening here. It would be interesting to see his reviews for Bad, Dangerous and HIStory, I donā€™t think he rated these albums at all.
ā€œJacksonā€™s greatest failing has been a tendency to go for the glitzā€ and
ā€œJackson has made no secret of his affection for traditional showbiz and the glamour that goes with it.ā€œ

Also interesting to see a comparison with Prince being made this early on.

Nice review, this guy had some sort of crystal ball, he has a point here, I probably would not have made these statements as early as 1983 yet but later in his career Michael did go over the top and he already saw it happening here. It would be interesting to see his reviews for Bad, Dangerous and HIStory, I donā€™t think he rated these albums at all.
(y)

Also interesting to see a comparison with Prince being made this early on.
That really jumped out at me.

Yeah, I've seen this one before. It's not my fave, tbh. James annoys me, referring to Michael with the the *J* word which I just do not like. Some people can shrug it off. I can't. I like the Manics and I'm sure James appreciates Michael's talent but, I dunno, I just find this one winds me up too much. Cool anecdotes from Paul but he tells the story in a similar way in other interviews.

Yeah, this is the overlooked one, isn't it? I would love to know more.
this interview is from 1983šŸ’œpaul starts talking about michael at 4:11. no mention of the ā€˜j-wordā€™. this was of course before that term was coined. similar story, but not as detailed.

this interview is from 1983šŸ’œpaul starts talking about michael at 4:11. no mention of the ā€˜j-wordā€™. this was of course before that term was coined. similar story, but not as detailed.
Yes, I know this one! This is the one I watch in preference to the James Dean Bradfield interview. I wish we didn't have to make do with such tiny snippets but, otoh, at least we do have them so it's all good. :)

Rare making of for Billie Jean, really amazing:

yes, Iā€™ve seen these both and love themšŸ’œhistory was in the making. even seeing Michaelā€™s most simplest of movements (putting his foot on the šŸ—‘ļø) was compelling. it was great to have a more detailed explanation of the concept of the video.

thanks for adding to this threadšŸ™šŸ’œ

Your welcome, thank you very too for create the thread about Michael in 1983, it was easily his best year (he was really awesome in late 70's to mid-80's).

Yes it's amazing to see him dance naturally, without cut, he was amazing, he seemed so full of energy and nice during these times, I really love Billie Jean music video, the style noir, the atmosphere, all the music video look like a dream, really amazing, Michael originally wanted to dance with the mannequins:

MICHAELā€™S MOMENT OF GENIUS
ā€˜So, we ran through it with him, scene by scene. And when it came to the scene with the camera store, with the cameras all firing off, triggering his energy, triggering the Midas Touch again, Michael said he had this idea. ā€˜What about if one of the other stores in the street is a tailor shop with some mannequins in the window. When I go past it, before or after the camera store, how about the mannequins come to life, and they jump out behind me and they dance with me?ā€™ I absolutely loved it, I thought it was an amazing concept, it enhanced everything. It was right on concept, right on story and just a genius idea.

After that meeting I got onto my producer and said, ā€˜Michael has come up with a great idea. We need to change that store, the third one along or whatever, we need to get some mannequins in, get some dancers in, do rehearsals. We need to get a choreographer, a costume designer, and I need a couple of hours more to shoot this in a certain way, because this will be after the first dance.ā€™

My producer worked out that this would cost $5,000 dollars more and CBS [Michael Jacksonā€™s record label] said no. They said, ā€˜No, weā€™re not paying you a penny more, weā€™ve told you, youā€™ve got $50,000 dollars and thatā€™s it.ā€

Your welcome, thank you very too for create the thread about Michael in 1983, it was easily his best year (he was really awesome in late 70's to mid-80's).

Yes it's amazing to see him dance naturally, without cut, he was amazing, he seemed so full of energy and nice during these times, I really love Billie Jean music video, the style noir, the atmosphere, all the music video look like a dream, really amazing, Michael originally wanted to dance with the mannequins:

MICHAELā€™S MOMENT OF GENIUS
ā€˜So, we ran through it with him, scene by scene. And when it came to the scene with the camera store, with the cameras all firing off, triggering his energy, triggering the Midas Touch again, Michael said he had this idea. ā€˜What about if one of the other stores in the street is a tailor shop with some mannequins in the window. When I go past it, before or after the camera store, how about the mannequins come to life, and they jump out behind me and they dance with me?ā€™ I absolutely loved it, I thought it was an amazing concept, it enhanced everything. It was right on concept, right on story and just a genius idea.

After that meeting I got onto my producer and said, ā€˜Michael has come up with a great idea. We need to change that store, the third one along or whatever, we need to get some mannequins in, get some dancers in, do rehearsals. We need to get a choreographer, a costume designer, and I need a couple of hours more to shoot this in a certain way, because this will be after the first dance.ā€™

My producer worked out that this would cost $5,000 dollars more and CBS [Michael Jacksonā€™s record label] said no. They said, ā€˜No, weā€™re not paying you a penny more, weā€™ve told you, youā€™ve got $50,000 dollars and thatā€™s it.ā€
I was aware of this too. the director steve barron did a detailed q & a on this very site (it was long before I joined).
this video had so many interpretations and possibilities. thatā€™s part of the reason why itā€™s my favourite šŸ’œI love hearing these storiesšŸ˜ŠI agree that michaelā€™s movements were graceful yet impassioned. I enjoy choreography, but I like it even better when heā€™s left alone to freestyle.šŸ¤©

it's very simple, natural and very energic in the same time, it's really mesmerizing, it's incredible to know that he has more or less improvided that because the light problems according the director.

About Thriller music video, I have read about someone who was part of the cast during the movie Theater sequence, according to him there are a sort of unrealesead footages in the big screen, a short cowboy movie with Michael and Landis or someone else, nothing serious it was just something fun, I have tried to find that but failed (I really suck to find links), I have read this anecdote during Thriller40th but can't remember where (quora ? Lipstick alley ?) someone else have seen that ?

From 2.38 onwards is some of the classiest coolest dancing ever filmed, the costume owns too. His walking is so casual yet rhythmic, he is basically dancing while walking, he feels ever beat.
that segment (and what ended up in the final cut) could be described as a dancing catwalk. like heā€™s literally on the runway with the photo flashes going off. the still images of him in mid action are so expressive and iconic.

"We always recorded with Michael in the dark - he hated light": Engineer Bruce Swedien on the making of Michael Jackson's Thriller, track by track​

By Future Music
published 8 April 2024
We get a behind-the-scenes look at the recording of the biggest-selling album of all time

Almost 41 years ago, Michael Jackson released Thriller, the album that went on to become (and is likely to remain) the biggest-selling of all time. Released on 30 November 1982, it spawned seven singles and won eight Grammy Awards, selling around a million copies a week at the height of its popularity.

One of the key players in the album's creation was the late great, recording engineer Bruce Swedien, and back in 2009, he gave Future Music the story behind the making of Thriller, offering up a track-by-track guide in the process.

Now as Thriller's 41st anniversary looms, it's time to revisit Swedien's remarkable insight.

Startin' somethin'​

It transpires that, even with all the talent involved, Bruce never thought that Thriller would go on to be so successful.

"I think anyone who would have the balls to say that is a liar because you don't really know until it gets out in the public and they say 'wow this is really good'," he admits.

"All we did was follow Quincy Jones down the path to the greatest music we could possibly make and with a passion for details. Quincy is such a remarkable man to work with - and Michael too. I mean, we had a ball.

"Michael was never late for a session - if anything he would be early. Also, I never remember recording Michael with the lyrics in front of him. He would stay up the night before memorising the song or songs we were about to record. I don't think there are a lot of artists who do that."

Speaking to Bruce, it seems like the album almost flowed out of the studio: "With Michael, there weren't any difficult tracks to mix. Working with Michael and Quincy is easy as pie. They are so musical - and the passion for quality that we share has made working on these projects - especially Thriller - very easy."

Thriller was recorded at Westlake Audio in LA, where Bruce had previously worked. "I love that studio - it's just fantastic," he says. "The room you record in is just as important as the mics. When I record somewhere, I have a collection of 105 microphones - every microphone in there I bought new and no one else has ever used it. That protects my sonic integrity. I got used to that incredible sound. One thing with Westlake Audio was that they knew the value of maintaining the gear."

Thriller track-by-track with Bruce Swedien​

1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'​

"That track is about Michael's brothers' wives and how they were always creating trouble - that was his inspiration.

"It starts with a lot of percussion. There's some drum machines and some live drums and other things. It's a Univox drum machine. We actually used it a lot on the Brothers Johnson record, and we were using it at that time on Michael's record as well. I think it's an SR55. I still have my own and it still works.

"We DI'd every drum machine to get away from secondary pick-up and reflected sound inside the room. Also, a lot of these drum machines have a lot of low end. Like Roland with the 808; it has bottom end like you wouldn't believe and if you put that through a speaker it's all gone. So direct with a module and everything - boy it was killer.

"I tried a bunch of new things in recording the drums on Michael's record - I had a kick drum cover made. I used to take the front head of the kick drum off and place a couple of real heavy cinder blocks inside to hold it still and weight it. Then, I'd put this cover on and the mic goes inside through a zipper opening in the cover, then you zip it up tight and turn it on and the rest is history."

bruce swedien is the third person to confirm that ā€˜wanna be startin somethinā€™ was about michaelā€™s in-laws (latoya & jermaine being the first two). I think they bothered michael just as much as they did latoya.

still, the song could also be directed towards the media. there were already prevailing rumours/lies circulating about him then. I think this song handled it in the best way. it really is a journey. it refocused the attention to the absurdity of the naysayers, as well as express the pain that their actions caused. overall it works as therapy; you can dance & celebrate to it, or it can charge you up and act as a stress reliever. some of the many reasons why itā€™s my favourite šŸ’œ

I already knew the information about the other songs. though there are some fun facts, such as michael doing the wolf howls during the opening to ā€˜thrillerā€™.

Back