Alicia Keys Celebrates 10 years of Success

billyworld99

Proud Member
Time sure flies when you’re at the top. Ask Alicia Keys. Despite her debut seemingly hitting stores just yesterday, it has – in actuality – been 10 years since ‘Songs In A Minor’ catapulted the singer-songwriter to superstardom.

To celebrate this milestone, Keys and her label are releasing a commemorative edition of the LP, which will be supported by an exclusive New York gig, a performance slot at this year’s BET Awards, and more.

Press release after the jump…

LOS ANGELES, April 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Singer, songwriter and producer, Alicia Keys will release a special 10th Anniversary Deluxe and Collector’s edition on J Records / Legacy Recordings of her groundbreaking debut album songs in A minor on June 28th, 2011.

The original release of songs in A minor sold more than 12 million albums worldwide and garnered Keys with her first five, of 14 total, Grammy® Awards including Best New Artist, Best Song of the Year for “Fallin,” and Best R&B Album. With the 10th Anniversary Editions, Keys’ fans will be able to rediscover this seminal album and explore previously unreleased and original bonus material, such as the tracks “A Woman’s Worth” remix featuring Nas; “Juiciest” mix tape version; “Fallin” the Ali soundtrack version; and the previously unreleased “Typewriter,” “If I Was Your Woman” Original Funky Demo version and “Butterflyz (The Drumline Mix).”

The Deluxe Edition two-disc set and Collector’s Edition three-disc set will feature very special packaging and an enhanced booklet featuring new liner notes from Keys. The Collector’s Edition will also include a documentary, specifically created for this release with brand new interviews with Keys and other album collaborators, reflecting on the making of songs in A minor (to see a trailer for the documentary, visithttp://bit.ly/akaminor). For the first time, a vinyl version of the original album will also be made available. Further exciting details on the Deluxe and Collector’s editions will be announced shortly and can be seen on www.aliciakeys.com.

“It’s incredibly surreal for me to be celebrating the 10th anniversary of songs in A minor,” says Keys. “Looking back on the journey, I’m truly moved by my fans and friends who’ve been with me and have supported me throughout my career. This album is possibly the most precious to me, as your first album only happens once, and so songs in A minor will always hold a special place in my life that’s filled with amazing memories. I’m so proud that the songs are still being enjoyed around the world, and I’m crazy excited to share, through the 10th Anniversary Edition, songs never heard before, and even more of my debut album with you.”

Keys will commemorate the 10th Anniversary by performing an intimate concert for her fans at New York City’s historic Beacon Theatre on June 30th. The show, titled “Piano & I: A One Night Only Event With Alicia Keys,” will feature Keys accompanied only by her piano. The night of songs and storytelling will take audiences through the entire songs in A minor album as well as many of Alicia’s classic hits that followed. Tickets for the show will go on sale on May 6th via Ticket Master.

Keys will also perform on the BET Awards on June 26th and an hour-long special on Alicia and songs in A minor will air on the network in late June around the album release.

Not trying to rain on the parade, but haven't Alicia's last album or two flopped? I'm only asking, not trying to make a stink.

I was a huge fan of hers when she first came out. I was about 12/13 then and I my whole wall was covered with her posters. I knew every song from Songs In A Minor from front to back lol. I even went to her concert in Amsterdam. But then she changed her style and went more into the R&B/rap direction which I did not like at all and I stopped being a fan. I haven't bought any of her albums since SIAM. Can't believe it's already been a decade. Time flies!

Songs In A Minor is a brilliant album, btw. If you have the time, make sure to check out some of the songs. I recommend Goodbye, Caged Bird (reminds me of Michael), Jane Doe, The Life and Butterflies... actually I recommend the whole album :p

the second album did well as did her third i think her most recent didnt do well

Not trying to rain on the parade, but haven't Alicia's last album or two flopped? I'm only asking, not trying to make a stink.

Personally, I loved her third album As I Am, but didn't really feel Element of Freedom as a complete album (love some of the songs). But to say they flopped? That's like people saying Michael's last few albums flopped...unless you've listened to them you just can't say.

Anyways, I saw her tweet about this and reallly want to go see this show! Like LindavG said, some of those songs on Songs in A Minor are amazing!! Caged Bird, Goodbye, Never Felt This Way, Butterflyz, Rock Wit U....SO GOOD!

I would SO love to see that show! I always enjoyed the parts where it was only she and her piano most during her concerts!

Gawd, it's been 10 years since her first album came out??? I feel so old :-(

Personally, I loved her third album As I Am, but didn't really feel Element of Freedom as a complete album (love some of the songs). But to say they flopped? That's like people saying Michael's last few albums flopped...unless you've listened to them you just can't say.

Anyways, I saw her tweet about this and reallly want to go see this show! Like LindavG said, some of those songs on Songs in A Minor are amazing!! Caged Bird, Goodbye, Never Felt This Way, Butterflyz, Rock Wit U....SO GOOD!

What does listening to an album have to do with flopping? Her last album or two didn't sell - that equates flopping, not quality. And again, I'm not trying to be hateful. I respect Alicia.

Last edited:
sorry but her debut album while clive davis pushed her onto oprah and she made the rounds, i hardly consider her debut album a classic.

it was cute imo, but a classic?

when she drops a greatest hits package i might like 6 or 7 songs of hers and call it a day, but thus far she is overrated and it feels contrived.

Alicia Keys to play one-off London show

Alicia Keys is to play a one-off London show to celebrate the tenth anniversary of her debut album Songs in A Minor.

The intimate show, which is to be titled 'Piano & I: A One Night Only Event With Alicia Keys', will involve the singer-songwriter showcasing her Grammy-winning debut in its entirety at the Royal Albert Hall on June 13.

"I can't think of a better way to celebrate the tenth anniversary of Songs in A Minor, than by holding a special, intimate concert for my fans," Keys explained in a statement.

"It's my absolute favourite way to perform. There is something so special about just me on my piano connecting with the audience.

"It brings me back to the very beginning when I could only perform with a keyboard and to now be able take it back to the essence of who I am with this show, it is so exciting."

The news follows the recent announcement that Alicia Keys is to repackage her million-selling debut in deluxe and collector editions for the anniversary.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a314587/alicia-keys-to-play-one-off-london-show.html

Why would it matter? Commercial success/lack thereof does not equate with quality or its absence. Some of the most commercially successful albums have been an insult to the very concept of music, and a lot of truly quality albums have gone underappreciated.

The only thing commercial success is an indicator of is popularity. Otherwise, explain the success Rebecca Black's single has met on iTunes, and Justin Bieber's entire career...

In any case, I originally came here to say that Alicia Keys is one of the few talented women in the mainstream, who carries herself in a dignified and graceful manner and doesn't find the need to sexualize her image to encounter success. I have nothing but respect and admiration for her--she has a beautiful voice, great piano-playing skills, and writes her own material--which is actually relevant, for once in recent times in the mainstream music industry. She's a great role model for young girls, showing them that one can be beautiful and successful through talent alone, without having to gyrate half-naked or resort to petty attention-grabbing gimmicks like a toddler.

Why would it matter? Commercial success/lack thereof does not equate with quality or its absence. Some of the most commercially successful albums have been an insult to the very concept of music, and a lot of truly quality albums have gone underappreciated.

The only thing commercial success is an indicator of is popularity. Otherwise, explain the success Rebecca Black's single has met on iTunes, and Justin Bieber's entire career...

In any case, I originally came here to say that Alicia Keys is one of the few talented women in the mainstream, who carries herself in a dignified and graceful manner and doesn't find the need to sexualize her image to encounter success. I have nothing but respect and admiration for her--she has a beautiful voice, great piano-playing skills, and writes her own material--which is actually relevant, for once in recent times in the mainstream music industry. She's a great role model for young girls, showing them that one can be beautiful and successful through talent alone, without having to gyrate half-naked or resort to petty attention-grabbing gimmicks like a toddler.

I never questioned Alicia's talent. This article posted is called "Alicia Keys Celebrates 10 Years of Success". I was simply inquiring about her last couple of albums (that if I remembered correctly didn't perform well). I have nothing against Alicia Keys. I think she's talented and very deserving of praise. There was no need for you to get all high and mighty and preach. I feel you went way off course, acted very defensively, and started bringing up things that I didn't even suggest in the first place. Also, just because someone gyrates "half-naked" doesn't make them untalented or a "toddler". I've noticed you and a few others (who all commonly post together) are very uptight when it comes to sexuality, which is weird to me being an MJ fan - his music, dancing, and image were all very sexual (or could be). Just an observation and I mean no disrespect. It's just that you and those others go around talking about religious conspiracy theories, putting down many artists, and all because of their sexuality (and more often than not minor acts of sexuality). Katy Perry was made out to be the anti-christ in some thread (don't remember which)! LOL! Why does it matter? Sexuality can be just as much an artful expression as sitting behind a piano. It's a matter of opinion. Look, I really don't want to argue and I don't want to get off track anymore than we already have. If you need to comment, please send it to my inbox. I don't wanna hijack this topic any further.

Let's bring it back to Alicia...

Discuss! (sorry to Alicia Keys fans)

Last edited:
Back