Alberta Boy's Michael Jackson Moves Help Children in Need

20130724-CCFCimageLG.jpg

July 24, 2013 13:16 ET

MARKHAM, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - July 24, 2013) -

Editors Note: There is an image associated with this press release.

Brooklin Jacobs, a 13-year-old resident of the Tsuu T'ina First Nation reserve in Calgary, Alberta, recently commemorated Aboriginal Treaty Day - a reaffirmation of Aboriginal rights - with a $1,500 donation to Christian Children's Fund of Canada (CCFC) and Make a Wish Foundation. The boy raised the money by performing his Michael Jackson dance moves in front of an eager crowd at Sarcee Seven Chiefs Sportsplex.

"I performed the concert, because I want to help other children and make their lives better," said Brooklin, a grade 7 student at the Tsuu T'ina Junior/Senior high school.

At the age of 9, after watching a Michael Jackson music video together with his brother, Brooklin became an ardent fan of Jackson's music and performances. Since then, the boy has entertained peers and the local community and recently decided he wanted to use his dance performances for a worthy cause.

A family tradition of giving back

Brooklin's gesture is in keeping with his family's tradition of giving back to the community. The family has donated to charities in the past to help children on the Tsuu T'ina Nation reserve and overseas.

Brooklin hopes to continue singing and dancing for charity.

Judi Jacobs, Brooklin's grandmother, is proud of her grandson's efforts, "because the fundraiser was all his idea". She said Brooklin wanted to ensure the money raised went to worthy children's causes. The family chose Christian Children's Fund of Canada as a recipient organization because of its worldwide reach. "We saw the work of CCFC on TV and were impressed by the commitment to help children in need," said Ms. Jacobs.

Organizing the fundraiser was not easy for the family, but everyone pitched in to support Brooklin's compassion for children.

"In the end, we are proud of him and overwhelmed by his commitment to help others," said Ms. Jacobs, who is distressed by any tragedy that touches people, including recent flooding in Calgary and the train explosion in Quebec. "It hurts to see children suffering. We need to be more generous and share with others in need."

Emily Dawson, Director of Fund Development for Christian Children's Fund of Canada, said Brooklin's donation was an uplifting act of kindness. "I was moved by his gift for children. It is a special act of kindness, and demonstrates a strong understanding of his role in promoting 'global citizenship' for a child of his age."

Christian Children's Fund of Canada is a member of the ChildFund Alliance, a worldwide group of 12 child-focused development organizations working in 58 countries to implement long-lasting and meaningful changes for children and families. For more than 50 years, CCFC has helped children and families of all faiths break the cycle of extreme poverty by helping them develop the skills and resources to overcome poverty and pursue justice.

For more information, visit www.ccfcanada.ca.

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...ckson-moves-help-children-in-need-1814277.htm

Makes me so happy that children are inspired by Michael to try and make the world a better place by trying to help others, especially the children.

Yay!! Alberta fans! Woohoo!!! I was just in Calgary a couple days ago picking up a fellow MJ fan friend :)

Back