Al Jarreau

Proud Member
always nice to appreciate the musicians while they are still here. this is a random song i never heard before in light of the health scare to Al Jarreau. it also features George Benson, someone else who is still here to be appreciated.
it's nice to have youtube, and be able to dial up a song randomly, and never have heard it before and find that the song is likable immediately, unlike radio, today. it feels safer to either go the youtube route, or just listen to Michael, rather than depending on radio programmers.

^^^^I have this album, but that is George singing, not Al. This is another song from the same album that Al is singing the lead on.
[youtube]snCgGAk_s00[/youtube]

Al Jarreau 'Take Five' (1976)

[youtube]hhq7fSrXn0c[/youtube]

Marty In LA

how ironic is it, that people consider the human voice to not be an instrument, like a piano or drums, because they're used to hearing the voice vibrato and sing long notes, yet they consider the voice to be the lead thing in music(i disagree with that. i think all instruments are equal). but it takes a performance like this one from Al Jarreau, or a similar one from Michael Jackson, to remind us that the human voice, was a synthesizer, long before keyboards, and technology united to make synthesizers. though technology should never be dissed, in and of itself. i like this Jarreau performance.

This song is from Al's 1st recordings in 1965.
[youtube]U5yMCEOSsNA[/youtube]

This song is from Al's 1st recordings in 1965.
That album '1965' is probably the most coveted among hardcore Jarreau fans, and sadly it only exists on vinyl. '1965' seems to be the reason Al Jarreau music is placed in the 'Jazz' category today. His vocal style from the beginning reflected a Jazz style and even most of Al's pop radio flavored songs have contained these vocal elements.

He's a highly under appreciated talent. Thanks for starting this thread.

Marty In LA

'Spain (I Can Recall)' (1980)
[youtube]ugy0-t9QBL8[/youtube]

'So Good' (1988)
[youtube]hbA0jeTlXiU[/youtube]

'Flame' (originally recorded in 2000)
[youtube]JgPBG8nFIVM[/youtube]

Marty In LA

Last edited:
That album '1965' is probably the most coveted among hardcore Jarreau fans, and sadly it only exists on vinyl. '1965' seems to be the reason Al Jarreau music is placed in the 'Jazz' category today.

Marty In LA
I have this album, but it has a different cover than the one in that video. It's just a plain gray cover with a little story about it on the back, like a lot of old albums. The songs are in mono.

There's a player in our national football team named after him: Eljero Elia :D That's how I know him lol, never heard any of his songs though.

My all time favorite song from Al. I like the actual music video for it too.
[youtube]la0eUKD9kNw[/youtube]

My all time favorite song from Al. I like the actual music video for it too.
[youtube]la0eUKD9kNw[/youtube]

i like this too. also the theme from moonlighting, the hit tv show with cybill shepard and bruce willis. Al had quite a few good sons reach at least AC chart status. still he has a lot of great songs, period.

Back