Adele's '21' passes 'Thriller' for Top 10 chart longevity

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
By Randy Lewis

September 6, 2012, 2:01 p.m.

Last week, Adele’s “21” album dropped out of the Top 10 of the Billboard 200 ranking of national album sales for the first time since it was released last year and subsequently turned into one of the biggest-selling albums in pop music history.

Its exit from the Top 10 after 78 weeks bordered on the unnecessarily cruel: that left it tied with Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” This week, however, “21” has returned to the Top 10 for a 79th week, edging past Jackson’s landmark collection.

According to figures from the Nielsen SoundScan sales monitoring service, “21” logged an additional 23,000 copies last week, enough to nudge it back up two slots to No. 10. Overall, the album has sold 9.76 million copies in the U.S., and it appears to be certain to pass the 10 million mark before the end of the year. The Recording Industry Assn. of America has certified only 108 albums as having sold 10 million or more copies in the U.S.

At 79 weeks, “21” now boasts the greatest longevity in the Top 10 in 50 years. But it has a long way to go to catch the all-time Top 10 record holders, all soundtracks or cast albums from the early days of the Billboard album chart.

Next in its sights would be the “South Pacific” soundtrack from the 1958 film, which remained in the Top 10 for 90 weeks. “The Sound of Music” original cast album from 1960 stayed even longer, spending more than two years -- 105 weeks -- in the Top 10.

No. 2 on the all-time Top 10 longevity list is the 1961 “West Side Story,” which posted 106 weeks. After that, it’s a long, long ride to catch the album that lived the longest in the Top 10: “My Fair Lady,” the 1956 original cast album that spent a phenomenal 173 weeks in the Top 10. In addition, it spent 292 weeks -- almost six years -- in the Top 40 and 480 weeks in all on the chart.

That total chart lifespan is bettered by just two albums: Johnny Mathis’ “Johnny’s Greatest Hits” from 1958, which surpassed “My Fair Lady” by 10 weeks, and the all-time longevity champ: Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon,” with more than 762 weeks, according to the seventh edition (2010) of Joel Whitburn’s "Top Pop Albums" book of Billboard chart information.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-billboard-soundscan-20120906,0,4150637.story

Really happy for Adele :)

Although, I must say, I bought the album too, and it's wretchedly boring...:sleeping:

Just sayin' ;)

I really don't care. But Thriller was still more weeks on #1 (37 weeks). Adele was 24 weeks.

it's a deceptive report, because it doesn't equate with album sales. it equates with airplay. and i admit, i have heard adele ad naseum, way more than i heard MJ on the radio. but that's just dj bias and hate toward Michael. The great Dick Clark has declared, that just because a record gets played on the radio(therefore, charting) doesn't mean people buy it. The song 'Hero' went to number 1, but never left store shelves. A lot of album rock never gets played on the radio, but the albums sell like hot cakes. Plus the charters got corrupt during the nineties, and the anti Michael Jackson by dj's heyday, to try to take away from Michael's sales. The attempt failed. Thriller is still the biggest selling album in history, and the media just mentioned it in another section of this site, so if they deny it, they just denied their own writings. But the media is never to be trusted regarding Michael, anyway. Still, Michael is the biggest album seller, media or not.
i don't know what Randy Lewis meant by that crack 'torture', regarding Adele being tied in chart stay, with Michael, but then again, it's a reminder of the subjective nature, negatively, of media, toward Michael.
Anyway, i don't have a copy of Adele's album, and neither does my sister, though she says she likes Adele. We count toward sales, so that says something. We both have multiple copies of Thriller.
Also, the biggest proof of true financial success is being a big target for lawsuits. Adele loses in that contest, too. The bigger the success, the bigger the target. Not saying Adele has no money. Just saying MJ is way more successful.

Also, the ultimate sign of success is if the artist is the standard for comparison. What? Adele, yet the latest artist that the media is comparing to MICHAEL JACKSON. Michael is the all time standard of comparison.

There used to be a time, a long time ago, when chart success meant something, and equated with single and album sales. those days are no more. now you got DIY, piracy. Soundscan isn't used anymore. Mom and Pop record stores don't exist anymore.

Last edited:
I really dont think this album has surpassed thiller at all and not only that it just doesnt have the same vibe that thiller created with the public. From what i have read & seen from videos bout the popularity of thiller it created such a craze among mj fans & general public and had never been seen before with an album and unfortnately i dont think adele's album has had that same thing happen

I really dont think this album has surpassed thiller at all and not only that it just doesnt have the same vibe that thiller created with the public. From what i have read & seen from videos bout the popularity of thiller it created such a craze among mj fans & general public and had never been seen before with an album and unfortnately i dont think adele's album has had that same thing happen
nope. it hasn't. i was there at the time of the Thriller craze.I went to Hollywood just to wallow in it. And I saw on TV when people were hanging out windows to get a glimpse of Michael, when he walked the streets toward the White House in the U.S.A. to get the first seal of approval from then, U.S. President Reagan. People were screaming of just wanting to get a glimpse of those 'magic feet'. It was just off the broadcast of Motown 25, and people were buzzing at the water cooler about his then 'Diana Ross features'. There's never been anything like it, since the Beatles. Of course, it happened to Michael, twice. When he was little, and then at Thriller. To be honest..can't think of a time when it wasn't crazy for Michael, when he went outside. But Thriller was NUTS.

The media knows all this, but you know what they're going to say...

Last edited:
It's odd because I just checked Billboard the other day and 21 was 12th.
I checked it again and now it climbed back to 10th.

But does it really matter? 21 is sill a long way from the sales of Thriller and it's not a threat IMO. Slowly but surely its sales are slowing down now and it sold 23 million world wide so far. I think at best it will get in the 30 million range (world wide) and sell about 15 million in the US, no more. (And I think I'm being generous to Adele here.)

BTW, I like Rolling In the Deep. The rest of the Adele songs I find boring and repetitive.

Last edited:
i'm curious...what made you buy the album?

Well, I liked Rolling in the Deep, and she seemed like she'd be the type of artist I could just sit and relax to, have in the background, etc...But it just turned out that I didn't end up enjoying her music the way I thought I would....It was just too ?boring...

aDelE iZ dA NeW k!ng 0F P0p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111one111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope. it hasn't. i was there at the time of the Thriller craze.I went to Hollywood just to wallow in it. And I saw on TV when people were hanging out windows to get a glimpse of Michael, when he walked the streets toward the White House in the U.S.A. to get the first seal of approval from then, U.S. President Reagan. People were screaming of just wanting to get a glimpse of those 'magic feet'. It was just off the broadcast of Motown 25, and people were buzzing at the water cooler about his then 'Diana Ross features'. There's never been anything like it, since the Beatles. Of course, it happened to Michael, twice. When he was little, and then at Thriller. To be honest..can't think of a time when it wasn't crazy for Michael, when he went outside. But Thriller was NUTS.

The media knows all this, but you know what they're going to say...

Excatly the vibe from thiller was just out of this world and will never be seen again. Yes the media will say no way we're wrong

aDelE iZ dA NeW k!ng 0F P0p!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111one111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Ummmm shes a girl so u cant really call her "king"....

I kinda Love Adele too! Also have the album coz of Rolling in the Deep & Set Fire tot the Rain!
Naturally not all songs are as good as those two, but I do Love most of the songs on the Album!
Though by no means does it surpasses Thriller, No Way!!! :no:

From the new generation of artists, she the only one that attracted my attention. She sings live, has a beautiful voice. She doesn't need props and dancers nor does she need to take her clothes off on stage. She deserves all the success she's having.

# 1 for 37wks michael jackson. 79wks in top ten adele. now if it was the other way around it would be something to talk about.

# 1 for 37wks michael jackson. 79wks in top ten adele. now if it was the other way around it would be something to talk about.
gotcha. lol

From the new generation of artists, she the only one that attracted my attention. She sings live, has a beautiful voice. She doesn't need props and dancers nor does she need to take her clothes off on stage. She deserves all the success she's having.
i kno this ain't the Elton John thread, but since ur here...my fav song by him, right now, is 'someone's final song'. damn, why does a song have to be so suicidal to be so pretty?

That's a beautiful song. I love Blue Moves. It's an album with that sad atmosphere, but most of the songs are lovely. At least, imo. It's nice to see someone enjoy songs that were not hits and are never played at concerts. I would love to hear Elton singing some of his obscure songs in concerts, but I understand he has to please everyone and the casual fan prefer to listen to hits.

Adele bores me to tears. I've listened to a couple of her tunes and she's done absolutely nothing for me. I liked Amy Winehouse better

[h=2]Adele’s “21″ Album Passes the 10 Million Mark in US[/h]
http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/11/28/adeles-21-album-passes-the-10-million-mark-in-us

Adele has crossed a very sacred line in the music business. Her “21′ album passed the 10 million mark this week, making it one of the CDs to attain that level since SoundScan began counting units sold.
The “21″ album sold 28,000 copies last week, bringing it just over the 10 mil line a few weeks shy of its second birthday. The album launched a few big singles including “Rolling in the Deep” and “Someone Like You.”
Since its release, Adele has done little touring but she did have a baby. She also got a big new hit with “Skyfall,” the theme from the new James Bond movie. In the old days an artist with such success would be right back in the studio. But at the rate things are going, we might not see a new Adele album until 2014.

Back