Adele's '21' overtakes Michael Jackson in the all-time biggest selling albums chart-United Kingdom

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
By Dan Lane
The Official Charts Company can today reveal that sales of Adele’s 21 have overtaken those of Michael Jackson’s Bad in the UK.

Adele’s second album, 21, smashed the 4 million sales barrier after her BRITs performance last week and went on to bag the Number 1 spot on the Official Albums Chart for its 21st non-consecutive week at the summit. It has now sold nearly 61,000 more copies than The King Of Pop’s classic 1987 album, Bad.

Released on January 24, 2011, 21 has spent 57 weeks on the Official Albums Chart and has never left the Top 10. In just over a year it has sold over 4,020,000 copies, making it not only the biggest selling album of the 21st Century, but also the eighth biggest selling album of all time. If 21’s post-BRITs momentum continues, in the next few weeks it could also eclipse sales of Pink Floyd’s 1973 album Dark Side Of the Moon (7) and Dire Straits’ 1985 album, Brothers In Arms (6).

“This is another incredible achievement to cap a year of incredible achievements for Adele,” comments the Official Charts Company’s managing director Martin Talbot. “By overtaking Bad, 21 has truly, officially cemented Adele’s place among the all-time greats. Who would bet against her improving further on that achievement, by taking steps towards the all-time Top 5?”

The Official Charts’ Top 10 biggest selling albums of all time in the UK are as follows:

01 GREATEST HITS – QUEEN (5,863,000)
02 SGT PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND – THE BEATLES (5,044,000)
03 GOLD: GREATEST HITS – ABBA (4,989,000)
04 WHAT'S THE STORY MORNING GLORY – OASIS (4,517,000)
05 THRILLER - MICHAEL JACKSON (4,248,000)
06 BROTHERS IN ARMS - DIRE STRAITS (4,152,000)
07 THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON - PINK FLOYD (4,114,000)
08 21 – ADELE (4,020,000)
09 BAD - MICHAEL JACKSON (3,959,000)
10 GREATEST HITS II – QUEEN (3,887,000)

© 2012 THE OFFICIAL CHARTS COMPANY.

http://www.theofficialcharts.com/ch...-in-all-time-biggest-selling-albums-chart907/

Re: Adele's '21' overtakes Michael Jackson in the all-time biggest selling albums chart

She's British, she's popular, so no big surprise there. On world-wide sales she's nowhere near.

Also notice, how they once again have to use Michael's name as publicity for another artist... Why is Michael's "Bad" (Nr 9, not Nr 1 on that list) such a special milestone? Why not put it in the headline when she overtook Queen? Why not when she'll overtake Pink Floyd?

Last edited:
Re: Adele's '21' overtakes Michael Jackson in the all-time biggest selling albums chart-UK

Who-who-who-who-whoooooo-o-o-o-o-o caaaaaaa-a-a-aressss :) (no offens to you Moonwalk.Fan).

.. some guys in comments use WIKI as the source for the list of best selling albums...
BUT
The list of WIKIpedia is incorrect and misleading and can not be considered as a reliable source!!!!!

Michael Jackson´s HIStory album as a double album reached 20 mill copies in 1996 (New York Times article), and to date its over 25 mill copies of the set=50 million copies/pieces of the MCs/CDs

As well as Dangerous or BAD, the 30 mill mark is from the mid 90s an now its up to 40 mill.

WHY THE HELLL can anybody not update the list?

Re: Adele's '21' overtakes Michael Jackson in the all-time biggest selling albums chart-UK

Just in the UK? Worldwide sales is a different story. It's interesting that Michael's name is brought up.

:doh: Not again

I am sick and tired of reading about this everywhere on the internet today. Seriously, I HATE the media! The title of this so called article is misleading on purpose. It's ONLY UK, not WORLDWIDE so it's NOT important. Besides, It's about 8 & 9 place on the list, not the 1st one, so what's the deal? The deal is it's MICHAEL JACKSON and the media is obsessed with anything that can "degrade" Michael in any form or shape.

isn't his name always brought up? why not mention Adele outselling and outperforming Madge ( Madonna) who used to be a British charts darling. So now Adele is the highest charting female singer over there and passes Madge yet they don't mention it.. By the way where did ' Give me all your loving' chart on the British charts?

It's because michael jackson is RELEVANT. See madonna's producer thread for details.

I'm glad to see Adele selling well. I'm not a fan of hers, but she can sing, and it's refreshing to hear a singer who can actually sing nowadays. Maybe Adele's huge success could make music industry people realise that good albums can still sell very well, and stop using the "people just don't buy records anymore" thing as an excuse to churn out mediocre music that all sounds the same.

But I agree with other posters, it's interesting that Michael is even brought up. The article is not "Adele's 21 is the eighth biggest selling album", it's "Adele overtakes Michael Jackson". Interesting how that always happens. His name is so often brought up to generate interest in a story. Also, it's interesting how the media often pays attention to his achievements only when someone overtakes them. It was the same with the silly "Katy Perry is about to break MJ's record" thing - nobody paid any attention to Michael having 5 number ones from the same album until it looked like Katy might tie or break that record.

She's British, she's popular, so no big surprise there. On world-wide sales she's nowhere near.Also notice, how they once again have to use Michael's name as publicity for another artist... Why is Michael's "Bad" (Nr 9, not Nr 1 on that list) such a special milestone? Why not put it in the headline when she overtook Queen? Why not when she'll overtake Pink Floyd?
thats a good point. when i read the title of the thread i thought her album had beaten mj to become the biggest uk seller ever yet its only number nine?! so wheres the story then?. either its a story to belittle mj or its a story because mj is held in such high regard. you pick which one it is! U can always count on the thread starter to post such articles

Last edited:

Adele can sing but she bores me to tears. I listened to a few of her songs and I would never buy her album but much props to her because she can sing and she's not selling sex

Yeah she has a great voice. ive worked several of her concerts and met her once after a show but after a while i got abit bored after hearing her well known songs as some of the others are just filler songs so i ended up going for a walk around the venue when i could have stayed in the concert hall and just stood and watched her. but she seems to be a lovely girl and its great to see someone with actual talent do well in the industry for once

Michael is on the list 2 times. Nobody else is. God forbid the media point that out...:doh:

I give her props :cheeky:
@OfficialAdele CONGRATS! Adele is Good-Good but not Michael Jackson BAD! @officialcharts #MichaelJackson THRILLER's #1 WORLDWIDE, #5 in UK
BUT in WORLD HIStory Today :D
#RT Today in 1984 Michael Jackson won 8 Grammys THRILLER remains the ALL TIME biggest selling album in the WORLD!!! #MichaelJackson

Last edited:

I wonder if this official chart company released a press news when Adele overtook The Queen.
In order Adele to overtake Michael, she had to overtake The Queen first, so was there any news about that?
I'm quite sure if Adele climb up to number four on that list, they are not going to say, she over took DS, Oasis or PF.
They are only going to say that she overtook Michael:D
We should take it as a compliment to Michael. They obviously don't consider other bands or singers on that list as important as MJ or consider him as the only one worthy enough to overtake.

Anyways, I think all this have to do with how many more readers they get when they insert Michael's name with what ever
they are trying to promote.
From Madonna's producer coming up with this nonsense, Katy Perry tie with Michael and now Adele.
I read it somewhere that Michael Jackson still gets 17 million google searches/month.
So lets say if Adele normally gets 10 million searches/month, but if her promoters add Michael's name in the "news",then her numbers would add up to 27 million. The same goes with Katy Perry or anyone else trying to promote something.
All these sort of news come up when they have something to sell to wider audience.

Btw, I have nothing against Adele and love her 21 album which I also own.

Last edited:

People are going to click on the article and look up and then realize they have to look down the list to find Adele. Not taking anything from her but the title is misleading. It is interesting that a producer called Michael irrelevant yet his name gets brought up all the time. This is another example of that.

Michael is on the list 2 times. Nobody else is. God forbid the media point that out...:doh:

Actually Queen are with two albums on the list as well.

People are going to click on the article and look up and then realize they have to look down the list to find Adele. Not taking anything from her but the title is misleading. It is interesting that a producer called Michael irrelevant yet his name gets brought up all the time. This is another example of that.

I think it's deliberately misleading. When I read the title I suddenly thought it's something about Thriller and world-wide sales (though that would be impossible, since Adele's album sold 17 million world-wide). Then you click on the article and you see it's about Bad, it's about the UK and it's not even about the Nr 1 spot but Nr 8-9. But I guess many people will read only the headline and get some false impression from it thinking Adele broke Thriller's record. And perhaps that's the goal.

Uh, this is not MJ News or Announcements...just sayin' ;D

It shouldn't be long before Bad passes the 4 million mark in the UK, esp with Bad 25 coming out later this year :)

I wonder if this official chart company released a press news when Adele overtook The Queen.
In order Adele to overtake Michael, she had to overtake The Queen first, so was there any news about that?
I'm quite sure if Adele climb up to number four on that list, they are not going to say, she over took DS, Oasis or PF.
They are only going to say that she overtook Michael:D
We should take it as a compliment to Michael.
They obviously don't consider other bands or singers on that list as important as MJ or consider him as the only one worthy enough to overtake.

Anyways, I think all this have to do with how many more readers they get when they insert Michael's name with what ever
they are trying to advertise.
From Madonna's producer coming up with this nonsense, Katy Perry tie with Michael and now Adele.
I read it somewhere that Michael Jackson still gets 17 million google searches/month.
So lets say if Adele normally gets 10 million searches/month, but if her promoters add Michael's name in the "news",then her numbers would add up to 27 million. The same goes with Katy Perry or anyone else trying to promote something.
All these sort of news come up when they have something to sell to wider audience.

Btw, I have nothing against Adele and love her 21 album which I also own.

9_funny_jesus_thumbs_up.jpg

Re: Adele's '21' overtakes Michael Jackson in the all-time biggest selling albums chart

She's British, she's popular, so no big surprise there. On world-wide sales she's nowhere near.

Also notice, how they once again have to use Michael's name as publicity for another artist... Why is Michael's "Bad" (Nr 9, not Nr 1 on that list) such a special milestone? Why not put it in the headline when she overtook Queen? Why not when she'll overtake Pink Floyd?

Haha I first thought seeing the title "BAD" was #1 as well but then it #9.. so really, where is the story?

And quite funny they have not mention she has yet to take over Thriller (#5) in order to really beat Michael

It shouldn't be long before Bad passes the 4 million mark in the UK, esp with Bad 25 coming out later this year :)

It's well passed the 4 million mark, but MJ's sales tend to get bumped years after. I'm still waiting for the 40+ million records Michael has sold since he died to be added to his record amount which still sits at a grand total of 750 million since pre-HIStory. Go Figure.

Can't stand Adele. She is a common chav and another one of those tabloid-readers that think they are an expert on Michael Jackson's life just because they read headlines from "The Sun". The video below shows her arrogance and ignorance: referring to him as "Jacko", saying that he may have skin cancer and falsely stating that he has never performed 50 gigs so close together ("not even in The Jackson 5"). Obviously doesn't know anything about the man.

I don't give a damn about Adele... Just like anybody else, she can never come close to MJ's success.

I hate when articles are misleading like this. Bleh...

MJ still has many unbroken records.

But if I would choose one female singer to beat a record of MJ's, I'll choose one with talent and that's Adele (not Katy Perry or Rihanna)

Michael is the only singer on that list who is not British, interesting...

^Actually abba are swedish, but they sing in english, so i think we kind of adopted them. So mj is one of only 2 solo acts in the top 10, one of only 2 foreign acts in top 10, and one of only 2 acts with two records in top 10. Impressive.

The record knocked out of the top 10 by adele's 21, was madonna's immaculate conception. Tweet that relevant fact to the french producer.

I'm a little confused, how does Adele have the all time best selling album, when Beatles, Michael and Oasis are still ahead of her?

Anyways, in the larger scheme of things (i.e. worldwide sales), Michael is likely to remain unbeaten for a long time to come, if not forever.

Back