Adele's '21' is world's biggest-selling album for second year

Moonwalker.Fan

Proud Member
Adele's 21 has been named the biggest-selling album of 2012 worldwide for a second consecutive year.

The singer topped the global chart with total sales of 8.3 million units throughout 2012, while Taylor Swift's Red placed second with 5.2m records sold.

One Direction claimed the third and fourth positions, with their debut album Up All Night selling 4.5m and the follow-up Take Me Home shifting 4.4m.

Lana Del Rey's Born To Die rounds off the Top 5 with sales of 4.4m units, while Mumford & Sons' Babel finished at nine.

Overall music revenues were up by 0.3% to $16.5bn (£10.9bn) in 2012, making it the first year of industry growth since 1999, reports BBC News.

GLOBAL ALBUM SALES FOR 2012

1. Adele - 21 (8.3m units sold)
2. Taylor Swift - Red (5.2m)
3. One Direction - Up All Night (4.5m)
4. One Direction - Take Me Home (4.4m)
5. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die (4.4m)

Source: IFPI

Digital revenues rose by 9% in 2012 and now account for 34% of total revenue, according to the IFPI's annual Digital Music Report.

Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Call Me Maybe' was the world's biggest-selling single of 2012 after shifting 12.5m copies.

It was followed by Gotye's 'Somebody That I Used To Know' at two (11.8m), Psy's 'Gangnam Style' at three (9.7m), fun.'s 'We Are Young' at four (9.6m) and Maroon 5's 'Payphone' at five (9.1m).

Downloads accounted for 70% of overall digital revenue, while subscription streaming accounts for 10% and mobile ringtones and YouTube and VEVO ad revenue made up the remaining 20%.

However, despite the first industry growth in 13 years, the IFPI said internet piracy is still a major problem in music.

The organisation have urged companies to stop advertising on illegal music websites and have asked search engines to prioritise legal download sources over results that could lead to piracy.

"Our markets remain rigged by illegal free music," said IFPI chief executive Frances Moore.

"This is a problem where governments have a critical role to play, in particular by requiring more co-operation from advertisers, search engines, ISPs and other intermediaries.

"These companies' activities have a decisive influence in shaping a legitimate digital music business."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/n...ds-biggest-selling-album-for-second-year.html

Paul Williams, head of business analysis, Music Week magazine
"I think it's more than a blip. What you've got is an entirely different recorded music industry, compared to the last time the figures went up annually, because we now have a market which is very heavily digital.

"In some markets, including the US, more than half of recorded music sales occur digitally, whether it's downloads or streaming.

"In big parts of the world, there were no revenues coming in at all really. Now those very important emerging markets like Russia, Brazil, India and China show the industry is at least starting to see some revenues there."

I love Adele!!!! :woohoo: But:

GLOBAL ALBUM SALES FOR 2012

2. Taylor Swift - Red (5.2m)
3. One Direction - Up All Night (4.5m)
4. One Direction - Take Me Home (4.4m)
5. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die (4.4m)

Source: IFPI

tumblr_min1azEQq71r116s7o1_400.gif
:blink: :fear:

Adele deserves it ! She is one of the very few modern artists that can actually sing and perform live !

Back