Adele first artist in UK to sell 3 million albums in one calendar year

billyworld99

Proud Member
07/09/2011 - Adele breaks Official Charts history with 3 million album sales

The Official Charts Company can confirm that Adele has today broken Official Charts history, becoming the first artist in music history to hit 3 million sales of an album in one calendar year.

The album, 21, which was released 24 January 2011 achieved phenomenal success this year, not least being recognised in last night's Mercury Music Prize. Despite being pipped to the post yesterday for the prestigious accolade by fellow British singer/songwriter PJ Harvey, Adele can instead today celebrate being the youngest female to hit the 3 million sales mark with an album, and doing so in one calendar year, a music industry first.

21, Adele’s second studio album has now also become the third best selling album by a British female artist, surpassed only by Leona Lewis's 2007 debut release, Spirit, which shifted 3.03m copies, and Amy Winehouse's Back To Black (3.29m), which last month overtook James Blunt’s Back To Bedlam to become the highest selling album of the 21st century.

Adele, who was in attendance at the 2011 Mercury Music Prize yesterday evening at London's Grosvenor House, told how she was "gutted" not to be able to perform due to a chest infection. However, with a nominated album that has today arrived at the 3 million sales milestone amid an outstanding run in the Official Albums Chart, the singer has plenty of reason to be happy.

By this Sunday, 21 will have spent an impressive 33 weeks in the Top Five of the Official Albums Chart, racking up an average sale of almost 91,000 copies per week across the period. On sale for a total of 227 days so far, that is equivalent to over 13,000 albums sold per day.

Martin Talbot, managing director of the Official Charts Company says: "Three million albums in a year is a simply extraordinary achievement by Adele, who is now occupying an unparalleled position in the history of British music. In reaching such an elevated landmark so quickly, 21 has eclipsed any other album previously released in the UK - superceding even the likes of Sgt Pepper, Thriller, Dark Side Of The Moon, Brothers In Arms. There is no questioning now that Adele has joined the ranks of British music legends."

Click here to see the Official Singles and Albums Charts.

Source: Official Charts Company

I really don't like Adele because she called Michael by the name he hated, even though she claimed to be a fan of his.

She deserves it. I love Adele and her album is outstanding.

About the comment, she said she loves his music and obviously she has great respect for him. I don't think she wanted to be disrespectful but she just called him that because I heard it was just a nickname in Britian (w**** j**** is another story of course).

I think she deserves it, the album is very good and she seems to have a great personality & a good head on her shoulders.
People seem to respond to her lyrics and it's a nice change to see people pay attention instead of just going along with a beat.
I'd rather see her reach these goals than some of the other artists out there right now...
Appariantly she has also reached 10 million albums worldwide this week.
Insane numbers in one year and the year isn't even over yet.

Edit: Watching that video you can see there is no malicious intent there. She is talking about being excited to see him. (which is nice) I don't think she is/was aware of how he felt about it. Which to be honest I think a lot of people in the Uk especially (where these kinds of nicknames are common) are not aware of it.

Last edited:
She deserves it. I love Adele and her album is outstanding.

About the comment, she said she loves his music and obviously she has great respect for him. I don't think she wanted to be disrespectful but she just called him that because I heard it was just a nickname in Britian (w**** j**** is another story of course).

Well, thats what the media here calls him but no fan would call him that regardless of their location, so I can tell that she is lying about being a MJ fan just to get noticed...

BTW, I live in Britain too but I haven't ever called him w**** j****.

Well, thats what the media here calls him but no fan would call him that regardless of their location, so I can tell that she is lying about being a MJ fan just to get noticed...

BTW, I live in Britain too but I haven't ever called him w**** j****.

She never called him W**** j**** either. But correct me if i'm wrong but isn't using such names regular in britain? not for MJ but in general.

And I do apologize if this offends you in anyway, please make note that I said I heard so I'm not sure of this info.

I don't think that Adele was trying to be offensive with the ''J**o'' comments. She probably hasn't watched every interview with Michael and doesn't know he hated that name. Could have been worse, she could have called him ''Pedophille''

Sometimes people use that word out of ignorance and not because they want to offend Michael. In my country that happens all the time, because many people think it's a nickname, not aware of the background of it. I think this is a case too when it was used out of ignorance.

she can sng ut she's overrated

There isn't a recent artist (or band) who isn't overrated.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some very good singers out there (hard to believe)............but when they quickly start getting compared to the Michael's and Madonna's, they become overrated!!!!

There isn't a recent artist (or band) who isn't overrated.

Don't get me wrong, there are still some very good singers out there (hard to believe)............but when they quickly start getting compared to the Michael's and Madonna's, they become overrated!!!!

Adele hasn't been compared to either, and for what it's worth I don't see how anyone being compared to madonna is suddenly overrated.

Adele hasn't been compared to either, and for what it's worth I don't see how anyone being compared to madonna is suddenly overrated.

By saying "the Michael's and Madonna's" I refer to the general top stars of music.

And I know that Adele hasn't been compared to anybody, but I was just speaking in general.

I do however, think of Adele as being a talented singer and songwriter!!!!

By saying "the Michael's and Madonna's" I refer to the general top stars of music.

And I know that Adele hasn't been compared to anybody, but I was just speaking in general.

I do however, think of Adele as being a talented singer and songwriter!!!!

Ah you mean all the mainstream acts that are always conveniently topping tabloid charts? Yeah I agree on that count :p

Back