ADAM LEE Guitarist Interview - Michael related

qbee

Proud Member
ADAM LEE

Adam Lee is an exceptionally talented guitarist from London who has been growing an online presence over the past few years through his YouTube channel. Adam is self-taught and learns everything by ear; he has released an EP titled “Surrender” and is currently working on new material along with maintaining his YouTube channel through cover videos and vlogs. Enjoy our interview with Adam below! >>>

Screen-shot-2013-10-26-at-1.48.06-AM.png

Screen shot 2013-10-26 at 1.48.06 AM

You’ve been performing on YouTube for four years now; how did this idea begin? What got you into playing guitar in the first place?

“I uploaded my music onto a little website that once was called MySpace. I built a great following there, but remained aware of its decline, and the rise of YouTube. My first YouTube video was simply a jam along to a Santana track called ‘Samba Pa Ti’, filmed on my laptop’s webcam, and built-in mic; hardly a quality production! As I expected, that really didn’t get much attention. Trying to bring my MySpace friends across to a new platform seemed to be a tricky task, so I left the idea of YouTube out until a day struck that I will never forget. My childhood hero, and one of my favorite artists of all time, the legendary Michael Jackson, passed away; June 25th, 2009. I was heartbroken, and in a sort of daze. It was then that I decided I’d try uploading a series of tributes to him through YouTube. I covered ‘Human Nature’, as this was the track that John Mayer (another hero of mine) covered so eloquently for Michael’s memorial service. I was torn in two while playing this, and remained that way as I continued to cover and upload (the subsequent) videos in tribute to Michael. It felt like it was the only way I could do my bit to honor and show my love for him, and the wonderful legacy of love he left behind. Ever since, I started to slowly grow a following on YouTube thanks to the incredible support and kindness of the awesome people viewing my videos.

As for playing guitar, that’s another long story! As a kid, I was obsessed with music, and musical instruments. If I could get my hands on any instrument, I would try my best to play it and become as proficient as I could. I tried playing guitar at age 8 and hated it! It was so difficult. I couldn’t get the thing to sound good, no matter what I tried! So I put it down. (When I was 12) I got my first electric guitar, and the rest was history! The second time round, it was different. It felt as though I clicked with this new, slimmer, more versatile 6-stringed instrument. Ever since, I have been obsessed with listening to, and imitating (to my best ability) the records of Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, amongst others. I’d listen, and play back the melodies I heard. The versatility, tenacity, and expressiveness of the electric guitar was virtually infinite. There were so many variables that could change the ultimate sound of the instrument – and I’m not talking about pedals and amplifiers even. Just at the level of the guitar itself, and how you can play it; every time I pick up a guitar, I feel like the little kid who first learned to play ‘Voodoo Child’ when I was 13. The rush is just the same. To be recognized for it on YouTube has been the most humbling, wonderful experience I could have imagined.”

[video=youtube;U2quPynaKlw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2quPynaKlw&feature=player_embedded[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2quPynaKlw&feature=player_embedded

Tell us about what’s going on in your world right now; what new material are you currently preparing for your listeners?

“Lately, I was very fortunate to have been given access to YouTube’s amazing filming studios here in London. My goal is very much to continue making videos. I’ve picked up an addiction for photography, so I’m in love with the cinematography aspect of making videos as well. I always try to set a higher bar for myself with each subsequent video, so I can’t wait to try some new ideas, both in terms of the audio and video aspects. Aside from this, I’ve been spending much of 2013 writing. I’m terrified, but I’ve got a load of songs ready (which means singing); I’m just scared of disappointing my viewers. If my risk goes well, I guess I’ll wonder why I never tried sooner; if it doesn’t, there’s a very handy ‘delete’ button! Regardless, I’ll always stay true to my guitar videos, and keep those coming. (My current goal is to record) an EP of originals for release in the New Year. I just want to spend time getting it to sound as good as my head tells me it can. Let’s see how that goes!”

Which of your videos have been the most thrilling covers to record for your YouTube channel?

“I have always made a point of only uploading songs that I feel. I play everything by ear, so for me it’s important that I am feeling and resonating with the song, or else that feeling simply can’t be reciprocated in an audience. Great music is always the music that evokes an emotion in the listener, a goal which I always keep in mind when recording. I’m always deliberating and often changing my decision regarding songs to cover; if I play through it once, and it doesn’t feel right, I’ll try another track. That said, a couple have stood out for me, namely Phil Collins’ ‘In The Air Tonight’. Whilst this is an older video, with production that doesn’t match my recent material, I will never forget how much I simply enjoyed playing it! When the drum roll comes in for the second half of the song, I felt it so much; I feel consumed by songs with such an energy and sentiment. Another track that made feel differently (again an old one) was covering ‘Man In The Mirror’ by Michael Jackson. I was in tears while mixing it. There is something about those first few bars before Michael sings that makes me feel such a love for him. They are the sound of someone who gave their life and suffered greatly simply to please others. For me, that will probably always be my all-time favorite song, and Michael’s performance of it is spellbinding.”

[video=youtube;KQWeX8_RLDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KQWeX8_RLDw[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KQWeX8_RLDw

I’m sure you could list a whole number of influences, but which select artists have influenced you the most?

“As a musician, I feel like I’m nothing without the people who influenced me. As an artist, you’re never really original; you’re often 80% an amalgamation of the great musicians you revere. For me, it’s a long list. All I know, is that I would not be able to a hold a note, were it not for Carlos Santana. I’d have no rhythm, nor be able to make a note really cry, if it weren’t for Jimi Hendrix. These artists realized that the ultimate instrument of resonance with people is the human voice; the greatest guitarists are always the most vocal players. The rest is how you can feel your way through a phrase, and I couldn’t do any of that without the hours of sitting in front of a pair of speakers, listening to the musicians that captivate my heart and soul. At the top, would be Michael Jackson – my earliest memory was of listening to him. I was 3 years old then; little did I know I’d get the same thrill from hearing Michael’s music over and over again for so many years. Other musicians I feel in my heart include Sade, John Mayer, Stevie Wonder, Gregory Isaacs, Joe Satriani, Aretha Franklin, Coldplay, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and B.B. King. My list spans many genres; as a humble student, all I can do is try my best to bring something from them into my own music.”

What activities do you enjoy in your free time?

“I’d say I’m quite a creative person – if I didn’t have some way to express that, I’d probably go mad! If I’m not playing music, I’d say I spend way too many hours listening to it. I’ve come into a serious vinyl habit over the last year and, to me, there’s little that’s as enjoyable as sticking on a wonderful record, and just listening to all the layers of magic that makes up each song. All those little details that these artists incorporated into their work; hearing and appreciating them all is my drug! Aside from that, I spend a very long time on my other addiction, which is photography. I’m fascinated by old film cameras (namely the 35 mm format). I shoot, develop my own films, and scan the negatives, and make prints in the darkroom (which is really my bathroom, stacked with bottles of chemicals and an enlarger)! When I’m not doing that, I enjoy repairing old cameras that have seen better days. I have a strong penchant for coffee shops and watching the world go by. Finding art in the ordinary is another notion that I find fascinating.”

[video=youtube;RM77G1bQjIE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM77G1bQjIE&feature=player_embedded[/video]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM77G1bQjIE&feature=player_embedded

What are your goals for the remainder of 2013 musically?

“Aside from music, I’m currently working towards a PhD in biology, so that’s squashed a few of my plans. I’ll still keep making videos this year and hope to record an original and upload it to see people’s reactions. I’d love to keep writing so that I remain on schedule to get this EP out over the coming months. It would be a dream of mine to come to America (to play some shows). I’ve never been!”

source: Tom Lohrmann http://www.tomlohrmannmusic.com/blog/2013/10/27/adam-lee/

Back