Adam Ant opens up about his friendship with Michael Jackson

Bubs

Proud Member
Another one that hangs up the phone on Michael, poor MJ:)

Adam Ant opens up about his friendship with Michael Jackson - Eccentric singer also speaks about his new album 'Adam Ant Is The Blueblack Hussar In Marrying The Gunner's Daughter'

Adam Ant - 'Michael Jackson Asked Me For Fashion Tips'Adam Ant has opened up about his short-lived friendship with Michael Jackson.

Speaking to NME in a video which you can see at the top of the page, the eccentric singer revealed that he'd been invited round to the Jackson family home when he was touring his 1980 album 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier'.

Remembering his time with Jackson, he said: "I was touring 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier' and I got this call at about 5.30 in the morning saying 'Hi, this is Michael Jackson'. I just thought it was my drummer Chris, so I told him to fuck off and put the phone down."

He continued: "He rang back again and I put the phone down again then Quincy Jones called me and said 'This is Michael calling'. They were doing 'Thriller' and he asked me how I got the drum sound on 'Kings Of The Wild Frontier'. I told him to speak to our drummer. And then I got another call to ask where I got the jacket, so I told him and he went there and got it copied."

He continued further: "I got invited over to LA and I went to his family home, because he was still living with his mum and dad. All his brothers and sisters were there and I just spent the day walking round the house with all the snakes and llamas. I actually followed him onstage right after he did the moonwalk for the first time."

2012AdamAntPAGrnPT120912.jpg

http://www.nme.com/news/adam-ant/66068

I don't know how to insert that video here, so watch it on NME. Michael part starts around 2:05

I can see resemblance with his jacket and Michaels
Rihanna-Michael-Balmain-Military.jpg

Adam Ant's initial response to Michael calling him is reminiscent of how people didn't respect Michael, when they heard from him alone, and you needed a Quincy Jones to verify that it was Michael, and Michael was nice, anyway, as Adam got to come over his house. A lot of times, Michael said something, and people didn't take it seriously. But at the same time, Michael was so surreal that people didn't accept easily that it was Michael talking to them over the phone. The starstruck factor was big with seeing MJ in person. And he appeared as an unbelievable vision, in front of people. People just didn't believe, on some level that Michael was real.

To be fair, I understand the hang ups, It's not disrespectful it's just Michael is so great, it's like having a call from the biggest superstar... dare I say it,It'd be like having a call from Jesus, you just wouldn't believe it ( P.s I am not a crazy MJ jesus referring fan) In fact I find them highly funny as MJ must of experienced it every time he wanted to make a call to someone he didn't know so well!

I don't think it's disrespectful either. I think most people would think it was a prank call, like when my dad used to call people and say "hi, it's Santa!" :)

I didnt even know bout this guy til now....

another has been crawls out of the rocks to capitalize off mj's name. adam ant are you serious. give me a break. his friendship. tsk tsk. where the hell were these whatevers when he needed them. please.

another has been crawls out of the rocks to capitalize off mj's name. adam ant are you serious. give me a break. his friendship. tsk tsk. where the hell were these whatevers when he needed them. please.

To be fair Adam Ant didnt say anything about a friendship. He was just recollecting a phone call and meeting MJ. Also this isnt new news - its been told many times over the years. Posted here several times . Adam Ant isnt a whatevers, he is a Person andMichael didn't need Adam Ant for anything exept to tell him where he got his jacket at :lol: so I dont understand the tsk tsk or get the last statement.

He's not the one using the word "friendship", that's what the writer of the article chose to use. AND he replied to a question, he didn't bring it up himself... if you see the video clip, he doesn't actually say it like it says in the written article. Adam is a cool guy, and has made lots of great songs :yes:

Adam Ant is awesome. I was pretty young during the height of his fame, but he was considered very cool and different and had a unique sound and look (at least here in the U.S.). He also used heavy makeup to help achieve his look. I can see how Michael would be very intrigued by him. He had great stage presence. For those that don't know his music, he is worth checking out. His band (The Ants) had a great sound and the drumming is very cool. He also had a way of yoddeling with his voice. Ha! As I said, he was unique.

Adam and the Ants in concert.:wild: One look at his clothes here and you can see why he caught Michael's eye.

Back