Actress Rue McClanahan Dead At 76

I know...aww..I use to love her on Golden girls.....bless her;..RIP.

Golden Girl McClanahan Passed away at 76.

The actress was best known for her role as the saucy Blanche Deveraux on 'Girls.'

McClanahan had a stroke in late 2009, when she was recovering from heart bypass surgery. In 1997, she underwent treatment for breast cancer.

Her 'Golden' co-stars Estelle Getty and Bea Arthur passed away in July of 2008 and April of 2009 respectively.

While Blanche may be what McClanahan is most recognized for, she also co-starred with Arthur before in the hit show 'Maude.'

Rue also made appearances on 'All in the Family,' 'Mama's Family,' 'The Love Boat,' and more recently, 'Law & Order.' Her film work includes 'Starship Troopers,' and 'The Fighting Temptations.'

Married six times, McClanahan is survived by her last husband, Morrow Wilson. She also had one son with first husband, Tom Bish, named Mark.

She was also wed and divorced to Norman Hartweg, Peter DeMaio, Gus Fisher and Tom Keel.

Born Eddi-Rue McClanahan in Oklahoma on Feb. 21, 1934, she graduated with a degree from the University of Tulsa with a degree in theater arts and German. Rue then moved to New York to pursue a career in acting. She made a name for herself on the Broadway stage in the late 1950s before hitting it big on the small screen.

She starred on stage opposite Dustin Hoffman in 'Jimmie Shine' and won an Obie for 'Who's Happy Now,' before taking a part on the soap opera 'Another World.' McClanahan's character became so notorious that the soap extended what was intended as a short-term role became a year-long story line.

After 'World,' McClanahan was cast in 'Maude,' playing the shy best friend to Bea Arthur's titular character -- very different from the sassy and sexy Deveraux she would later play on 'Girls.'

Of her greatest role, she told the Cape Cod Times in 2007: "People always ask me if I'm like Blanche. Well, Blanche was an oversexed, self-involved, man-crazy, vain Southern belle from Atlanta -- and I'm not from Atlanta.

Also in 2007, the star wrote a book called 'My First Five Husbands ... and the Ones Who Got Away.'

Aside from her acting, she was also an avid animal rights activist, who worked directly with PETA and was named an honorary director of the group.

Before her death, she became the object of a Facebook group, which hoped to persuade NBC to pick McClanahan as a host of 'SNL,' much like the successful movement that ended with Betty White's first 'Saturday Night Live' gig.

RIP RUE , I will Miss U:angel:

Re: Golden Girl McClanahan Passed away at 76.

RIP Rue!
So betty white is the only "surviving" golden girl right? That's very very sad..

I hate to bring this up but this reminds me so much of last year all ready.. It's summer and all these wonderful people are passing away. They will be missed.

Blanche was soooo awesome!!! She will be missed!!!! R.I.P. Rue!

I was really surprise when I read that on MSNBC news channel. I loved her as Blanche on The Golden Girls. 76 doesn't even seem all that old to me. May she forever rest in peace. :cry: And the real sad thing is to me that I had always thought that Betty White would go before Rue. And I love Betty White just as much as I loved Rue. :sad:

yea i gasped this morning hearing the news..i knew it would happen soon though. but such a blow for GG fans. now we only got Betty..and boy is her career booming with a new generation putting her on now CULT icon status..lol let alone a new sitcom! but its well deserved. Golden girls was iconic but i think Rue McClanagan and Bea Arthur were on a more funny show with ''Maude'' that show was REALLY hilarious and broke barriers with abortion-plastic surgery-divorce-womens rights. good show. her interviews on youtube are good..she lived quite a life!

i only realized now we lost a Golden girl with each following year. Pray for Betty.

Estelle Getty - 2008
Bea Arthur - 2009
Rue McClanahan - 2010

Couldn't believe it when I heard this morning. I remember her in the 70's sit-com Maude as well as Golden Girls in the 80's. Very sad. And she's the same age as my mom which is troubling.

Aww. Rue was always my favorite Golden Girl along with Betty White. She left us with many fantastically funny memories. R.I.P. That makes my autographed picture of her even more special.

I saw this on Yahoo this afternoon. Very sad news. It's like all the people I enjoyed when I was growing up are passing ...

My brother told me this the other day when I came home from school. Sad. :( I love the Golden Girls. I watch it everyday. Blanche is great. lol.

RIP Rue. :heart:

Rest in Peace Rue, thank you for the laughs over the years you are a lovely Lady!!

I loved Rue McClanahan's character on the Golden Girls--Blanche Devereaux. She was this southern-bred, man-crazy vixen who just KNEW she was God's gift to men (LOL). I loved her character along with Betty White's character(the lovable but ditzy Rose), Bea Arthur's character (Dorothy, the serious one with the classic death stare) and Estelle Getty's character (Dorothy's spit-fire mother, Sophia).

This is tragic !
Rest In Peace , Rue
you will be truly missed.
she was a wonderful person.

Back