Accurate List of Michael’s Solo Albums

Arabian Knight

Proud Member
According to this source (and many others) Michael released 10 solo albums instead of 11, I would like to double check if this is all correct and if ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ should be treated as an album instead of a hits album because it is not listed there.

1. Got to Be There: 1972
2. Ben: 1972
3. Music and Me: 1973
4. Forever Michael: 1975
5. Off the wall, 1979
6. Thriller, 1982
7. Bad, 1987
8. Dangerous, 1991
9. HIStory, 1995
10. Invincible, 2001

The list from MichaelJackson.com
1. Got to Be There: January 1, 1972
2. Ben: August 1, 1972
3. Forever Michael: January 1, 1975
4. Off the wall, August 10, 1979
5. Thriller, November 30, 1982
6. Bad, October 1, 1987
7. Dangerous, January 1, 1991
8. HIStory, June 1, 1995
9. Blood On The Dance Floor - HIStory In The Mix, May 1, 1997
10. Invincible, October 1, 2001
11. Music and Me: October 23, 2002
The remaining are all hits albums and re-releases

The reason for posting this thread to keep accurate tracking of Michael’s solo albums, to clear confusion related to albums released before “Of The Wall”, to point out that a lot of websites don’t count “Blood On The Dance Floor” as an album. I bet there are many fans (old and new) out there who don’t know how many (exactly) solo albums released by Michael (not including greatest hits albums).

Last edited:
If you count BOTDF out, you should leave HIStory too, according to MTV and more.
1 cd greatest hits, 1 cd new hits. So what is it?
Same goes with BOTDF..... Few new remixes of previous released songs, some new songs...

I believe Michael had 7 solo albums:

1. Off the Wall
2. Thriller
3. Bad
4. Dangerous
5. HIStory
6. Blood on the Dance Floor
7. Invincible

The reason I believe that both HIStory and BOTDF are definitely part of his canon is because for both of those albums there were new singles released and multiple short films and for HIStory there was a tour as well. So it's most definitely counted as his 5 solo album. The same goes for BOTDF..although he only had 5 new songs...it was a brand new album with an original title and original artwork. It featured three short films, BOTDF, Ghosts, and HIStory.

What about Got To Be There? I always thought that was his first solo album.

You missed out his first solo album from motown
Got to Be There (1972)

I also believe BOTDF should count

Well..if we were to include his four solo albums from Motown..before Off the Wall..they would be 11. But I feel that those aren't really part of Michael's canon of work...and I mean no disrespect to those albums. But I feel that Off the Wall was really his first outing as The King of Pop. He had so much more control over his music and he was singing with his new solo style that was quite different from the jacksons. It was also his first solo album as an adult at 21.

This is all confusing!!!!

lol :lol: Okay look..in total..Michael recorded 11 solo albums. 4 with motown as a teen and 7 with sony as an adult. Here they are:

Motown:
1. Got to Be There
2. Ben
3. Music & Me
4. Forever, Michael

Sony:
1. Off the Wall
2. Thriller
3. Bad
4. Dangerous
5. HIStory
7. Invincible

lol :lol: Okay look..in total..Michael recorded 11 solo albums. 4 with motown as a teen and 7 with sony as an adult. Here they are:

Motown:
1. Got to Be There
2. Ben
3. Music & Me
4. Forever, Michael

Sony:
1. Off the Wall
2. Thriller
3. Bad
4. Dangerous
5. HIStory
7. Invincible

I just made a correction actually I missed ‘Got To Be There’ and this was the main reason why I was confused, now the remaining thing is BOTDF which should be treated as a separate solo album IMO which I find many sites have no mentioning of this album which is strange for someone to lose track for Michael’s record since you can count them on two hands!!

And then there's "Farewell My Summer Love" and "One Day In Your Life"

Don't know if they should be treated as official releases though

And then there's "Farewell My Summer Love" and "One Day In Your Life"

Don't know if they should be treated as official releases though

These are great albums aren't they :)

These would be moreso along the lines of compilation albums. I don't think Motown's done a better release since FMSL!

He has 10 solo studio albums and 1 EP (blood on the dance floor) which also contains remixes to songs from his previous album HIStory. (something MJ didnt want. he just wanted to do the 5 track ep. he didnt like the remixes)

Last edited:
These are great albums aren't they :)

These would be moreso along the lines of compilation albums. I don't think Motown's done a better release since FMSL!

yes both of them are great, ODIYL is more of a compilation than FMSL, cause some of the songs on that one had been released before, but FMSL consist only by previously unreleased songs.

Well..if we were to include his four solo albums from Motown..before Off the Wall..they would be 11. But I feel that those aren't really part of Michael's canon of work...and I mean no disrespect to those albums. But I feel that Off the Wall was really his first outing as The King of Pop. He had so much more control over his music and he was singing with his new solo style that was quite different from the jacksons. It was also his first solo album as an adult at 21.
I disagree, and this is why:

"Ain't No Sunshine"
"I Wanna Be Where You Are"
"Got to Be There"
"Rockin' Robin"

"Ben"
"My Girl"

"With a Child's Heart"
"Music and Me"

"One Day in Your Life"
"Just a Little Bit of You"

I have to disagree. I love the first four Motown albums. Yes, they don't compare to the following Sony albums, but they are good albums.

Also, I always add in Farewell My Summer Love, because I consider that as a studio album. So that would make (including Blood On The Dance Floor) 12 solo albums.

1.Off The Wall
2.Thriller
3.Bad
4.Dangerous
5.History - CD 2
6.Invincible

Blood On The Dancefloor is just a remix album + couple of new tracks.

Back