A Cry for Help

Amber Dawn

Proud Member
Last night I had a co-worker discuss thoughts on suicide. Normally this isn't the type of thing someone just discusses to me it was a cry for help. She discussed how she planned to do it and earlier today I received a suspicious message from her. She is at work at the moment so I know she is alright. I know people who are suicidal don't wan't to be challenged so hearing "She's just doing it for attention" isn't helpful. You challenge someone and likely they will do something just to show you they can do something. She doesn't have insurance so she can't get medical help. I want to start a list for her of different clinics, I already gave her my phone number and told her I would be there anytime she needed me.

Is there anything else I can do?

if you have suggestions please let me know.. PM's or responses are deeply appreciated.

Sorry to hear this. She certainly needs to find some help.. the insurance situation really sucks. Is there any way around that? Can she see a doctor at all? Perhaps there are some free community services that might be able to help, especially with counseling. Search online for your area or look in the phone book there should be some options. At the very least give her the numbers for hotlines she can call for support. i.e crisis lines, lifeline, suicide line, etc. And also they could help with referral to a service that might be available. If you have a psychiatric triage line over there that is also where you can get a lot of information for services.

And like angel said, the Samaritans or if she goes to a church at all? It's important that she has support.

I don't know if there's any free counciling service. I'll do some research and find out. I am really concerned for her she is not well liked at work, I have problems with her too but I'm very committed to putting all that aside and help her work this out. I see her tonight I can talk to her some more about whats going on.

Last night I had a co-worker discuss thoughts on suicide. Normally this isn't the type of thing someone just discusses to me it was a cry for help. She discussed how she planned to do it and earlier today I received a suspicious message from her. She is at work at the moment so I know she is alright. I know people who are suicidal don't wan't to be challenged so hearing "She's just doing it for attention" isn't helpful. You challenge someone and likely they will do something just to show you they can do something. She doesn't have insurance so she can't get medical help. I want to start a list for her of different clinics, I already gave her my phone number and told her I would be there anytime she needed me.

Is there anything else I can do?

if you have suggestions please let me know.. PM's or responses are deeply appreciated.

My goodness gracious...

I googled Indianapolis, Indiana Health & Human Resources...

Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County: WIC Citizens ...
www.citizenshealthcenter.org - (317) 924-6351 - More

Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County: WIC Pecar Clinic
www.hhcorp.org - (317) 221-7574 - More

Mental Health: Indiana Department of Mental Health
www.mentalhealthassociation.com - (317) 232-7845 - More

Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County: WIC Georgetown Clinic
www.marionhealth.org - (317) 221-3430 - More

Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County: WIC Forest Manor ...
maps.google.com - (317) 221-3010 - More

Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County: WIC North ...
maps.google.com - (317) 554-5288 - More

Fssa-Developmental Disability
www.in.gov - (317) 254-2065 - More

As Always

:angel:

Is she over 18? I would encourage her to look into the counseling that way they can also monitor her and refer her for urgent help if she needs it. The helpline should be able to help find something. Some kind of community health center perhaps. I hope your talk goes okay. You are a good friend. :)

I think you just need to let her know that you and others care for her, I've witnessed this before.
If she sees how you and others would feel if she was to do this, it can help. One thing you can't do is act too sympathetic and act like you know what she is going through, it can often make things worse.
Maybe some anti-depressant pills could help, but everyones situation and cause for this feeling is complex and has different ways to resolve it.
I hope this helps :)

Yes she is over 18. Yeah I don't like when people who have no idea whats happening act like they know exactly what they're going through. Because I don't.. I just keep talking to her, Today I spoke to her more and her spirits were up today, I just try to make her laugh and focus on other things. And I listen instead of just forcing my opinions on her. I keep talking about clinics but she told me she isn't going to waste her time on them. I am still keeping a list of the numbers you provided me with (those who pm'd me too) I really appriciate the effort to help!!

Back